PDA

View Full Version : any tips for white swan lake?

pinchy
04-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Going on a derby with buddy's 1st weekend of may was wondering if anyone has any advice on what works for that time of yr:thinking-006:

Red Bullets
04-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Whiteswan lake might still be frozen the first week of May.

32-40win
04-11-2015, 11:16 AM
Might be open, may not have or may be turning over. Big mayfly chronos, woolly buggers, damsel nymphs, dragon nymphs, bloodworms.

pinchy
04-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Might be open, may not have or may be turning over. Big mayfly chronos, woolly buggers, damsel nymphs, dragon nymphs, bloodworms.

Tnx for the tips will let u guys know how it goes

TroutTracker
05-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Hi Pinchy, Was the ice out on Whiteswan/Moose? Did the bows cooperate?

Thinking of heading there next weekend...

Cheers,
-Eric

Kingfisher
05-19-2015, 12:59 PM
I was at WS a few weeks ago. The ice had come off the weekend prior. It was still cold and the chronimids and other aquatic bugs had not begun to hatch. The water temp was only 48 and needed to get up around 54 for bug activity to begin. We did a throat pump on one rainbow and it only had a leech in it.

Moose Lake (aka Alces Lake) is a seperate lake from WS. It is just west of WS. It is a nice little lake and holds some nice rainbows. There are no motors allowed in there.

Bron
05-30-2015, 12:59 PM
I was at WS a few weeks ago. The ice had come off the weekend prior. It was still cold and the chronimids and other aquatic bugs had not begun to hatch. The water temp was only 48 and needed to get up around 54 for bug activity to begin. We did a throat pump on one rainbow and it only had a leech in it.

Moose Lake (aka Alces Lake) is a seperate lake from WS. It is just west of WS. It is a nice little lake and holds some nice rainbows. There are no motors allowed in there.

I'd say you were just unlucky not to see a hatch or not in the right area. I've been in the middle of hatches up there at that same temp. IMO Lakes are easily capable of good hatches at 45 and above. Everyone says "50 degrees," but follow that loosely.

Bron
05-30-2015, 01:01 PM

Turnover typically occurs in small, shallow lakes without inlet/outlets. WS is a fairly big lake that's over 60 feet deep for much of it's length and has inlet/outlet. I've never seen it turn over (or at least nothing dramatic), but I could be wrong.