PDA

View Full Version : Pine Coulee Today

calgarygringo
01-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Well after getting stuck at CV we didn't have another plan then thought lets do a cross country trip to our summer spot at Pine Coulee. Hardly any snow there like CV and drove down the boat ramp onto the ice didn't even use 4 wheel there. Didn't get there until 3 or so and set up the shack etc. Still managed a couple wallys and 20+ burbots. We will enjoy a good feed on these burbs. Bit like crazy from about 4 until we got tired of throwing them back around 7:30.
Turned out to be a great day considering we had a bad and late start.

slingshotz
01-03-2009, 12:57 AM
How thick was the ice there and how far out did you drive? Was thinking of heading there on Sun as it's supposed to be a bit warmer.

Whenever I go there in the summer for night fishing I get into a lot of burbs just off the dock but they are all smaller 2-3 pounders, were you getting the same little ones? They still taste darn good though!

calgarygringo
01-03-2009, 06:44 AM
We fished just to the right of the dock area in front of the campground. Several others were fishing right at the end of the boat launch. Our first ice fishing trip there but have been summer fishing in the boat all year. We were not sure where to fish so just picked the same area we boat fish and they were there. Ice measured 15 inches on the measuring stick. Yes they were all the smaller ones. Not the jumbo 7-8 lbs like we are used to catching at CV. I am sure they will taste good though.

davric
01-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Hello Gringo. If you do not mind sharing info I would appreciate it. If not then that is fine too. I do not know much about burbot fishing and would like some info. I also am in Calgary and would like to try Crawling Valley. Any tips. bait, location on the lake, any other info. By the way I really like your ice fishing hut set up.

calgarygringo
01-03-2009, 08:38 AM
I would stay away from CV right now unless you want to do a lot of walking or take a ski doo. Too many high drifts to get near the place. If they run a plough through there it should be ok.
If you go just fish anywhere in front of the east or west islands 10-15 feet of water. Use a glow jig with smelt and keep near the bottom. Make sure you stay late as the fishing usually starts for Burbs as everyone is going home at sunset.

KJPFISH
01-03-2009, 11:11 AM
What depth of water were you in and how was the visibility at Pine Coulee right now? Can you see the fish when they bite? I tried Clear Lake earlier in the week and it was okay, but I'm thinking of hitting Pine Coulee tomorrow as well.

Good fishing!

KJPFISH

2big4u
01-03-2009, 11:20 AM
We were in 16' on friday and saw bottom no problem.

fishking
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
how exactly do you get to pine coulee fromm stavely?

calgarygringo
01-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Just turn west at Stavely I think is 527. Follow the road across the bridge that goes over the lake. It will then make a sharp left turn. Follow that and watch for the faded campground/boat launch sign and turn left. The road goes straight down the boat ramp on to the lake.

calgarygringo
01-03-2009, 05:58 PM
We have a fish tv so never looked down the hole. They showed up good on the tv screen so must be pretty clear. We were in about 16-18 ft of water.

goldscud
01-03-2009, 09:31 PM
That should be a sharp LEFT(south) turn a bit after going over the bridge.