PDA

View Full Version : Which Way Is Better? Ferules Up or Down?

TripleTTT
04-12-2015, 04:07 PM
I have never come across this discussion before... when battling a large fish; is it more efficient to have the rod ferules pointing skyward or towards the water.

Loading the rod puts stress on ferule mounts. Is it better to stretch the rod or compress it at these points?

Just curious... :thinking-006:

fishpro
04-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Rod super high puts way to much stress on the blank and takes away your ability to use the power in the butt of the rod. Your handle and line should never go beyond a 90 degree angle. If you really want to fight a fish hard, keep that angle significantly less than 90 degrees and fight them with the butt. Just make sure your line is able to handle it.

WayneChristie
04-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Rod super high puts way to much stress on the blank and takes away your ability to use the power in the butt of the rod. Your handle and line should never go beyond a 90 degree angle. If you really want to fight a fish hard, keep that angle significantly less than 90 degrees and fight them with the butt. Just make sure your line is able to handle it.

never caught a big sturgeon I presume? the guides are on the rod the way they are mounted for a reason, spinning reel they are under the blank, baitcaster on top, with a big strong fish my rod tip can be from 90 degrees to curled under the boat, dont know how to measure that angle

TripleTTT
04-12-2015, 08:04 PM
I'm with you on the spinning vs baitcasting setup.

But at what point in rod bend do the ferules fail? If at all?

Oh, I never caught any thing that would bend my rod more than 90 degrees other than the bottom. ;)

fishpro
04-12-2015, 09:33 PM
never caught a big sturgeon I presume? the guides are on the rod the way they are mounted for a reason, spinning reel they are under the blank, baitcaster on top, with a big strong fish my rod tip can be from 90 degrees to curled under the boat, dont know how to measure that angle

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear. I meant the angle in terms of how far the rod bends. If it's bent in a U-shape, you won't be getting as much out of the butt of the rod. You can't always avoid it, though, as in your example of a big sturgeon going under the boat.

fishpro
04-12-2015, 09:40 PM

Oh, I never caught any thing that would bend my rod more than 90 degrees other than the bottom. ;)

The rod could break anywhere, not just at the ferrule. It's not just a matter of how much force, but the rod angle is what can increase or decrease your chance at failure. By 90 degrees, I mean if your line is going straight down, your handle should be straight out or slightly downward, don't try and point your rod to the sky. Similar rules apply for other line angles.

This will allow the butt of the rod to play the fish, which gives you a lot of power. Having the line go downwards while the handle is pointed up will put a lot of stress on the blank and increase the risk of breakage, while not putting much force into the fight.

Hope that makes sense.

EZM
04-13-2015, 04:54 PM
"Generally" the new rods (IM6 through IM8) graphite don't like too much flex. They will explode ....

Older technology, like the parabolic style, with the more forgiving materials, like in an ugly stick can be coiled around a tree and are unlikely to break. The one advantage of using a heavy ugly stick for fighting a fish far bigger than a comparable rod (blank size).

I personally don't like these parabolic sticks .... I can feel the difference in sensitivity ..... so I'd suggest having a stiffer rod that's designed for what you are catching and still having the sensitivity not found in the older technology .... but that does mean, unfortunately, a dozen rods in the locker instead a 3-4. And, unfortunately, going to St.Croix Wild River @ $200 (which won't bend as much but it also won't break) versus an ugly stick @ $50 (which will bend lots and won't break) won't make much of a difference once the fish is hooked.

It's about what you prefer .... but the short answer is .... depends on the rod your using.

anthony5
04-13-2015, 09:31 PM
Really doesn't matter which way they are pointing or the stoutness of the rod if the drag on the Reel attached to said rod is not set correctly, rod will most likely fail before the ferrules if you're reel is not set to play the big ones. If the rod can handle the fish then the line may break without the right drag setting, combination of rod and reel properly set and handled should let you land "most big fish".

Daceminnow
04-13-2015, 10:42 PM
"Generally" the new rods (IM6 through IM8) graphite don't like too much flex. They will explode ....

Older technology, like the parabolic style, with the more forgiving materials, like in an ugly stick can be coiled around a tree and are unlikely to break. The one advantage of using a heavy ugly stick for fighting a fish far bigger than a comparable rod (blank size).

Seen the new 3M Powerlux rod blank technology? In regards to the OP's question, the guides seem to hold up pretty well too.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=su0I1SVLlHU

http://www.loopcanada.ca/en/crossS1

Dace

FlyTheory
04-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Build a rod from glass, the blanks would work for any kind of rod type... fly, baitcast, spin.. is this what you guys are looking for? :)
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f38/zacharyvydra/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps7viwpeie.jpg

Kim473
04-14-2015, 05:24 AM

Ive had a few perch bend my little princess rod past 90 no failure, does that count?