PDA

View Full Version : Goldeneye on fly?

kayaker
01-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Is anyone here flyfishing in the North Saskatchewan for goldeneye in the summer?

I have heard they can be taken in shallower gravel bars with a weighted nymph (like a GRHE, Copper John etc) using a strike indicator (Czech style almost)...is this true?

I also read an online article about taking them on dry-fly?

Any comment appreciated.

Thanks

Alberta Bigbore
01-03-2009, 04:24 AM
**Goldeye**... will readily take attractor dry flies and various streamers, nymphs and wet flies. Hardware fishers also get their fair share.

kayaker
01-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the nomenclature correction;)

Thanks for the info, I would be keen to try. I caught a really nice sized one on a pickrel rig once and was surprized how strong it was...

Cheers

catnthehat
01-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Took a friend out a few years back who had just messed with small stream trout.
he was amazed at the fight the first time he hooked a Goldeye!
Here it is, he obviously is not impressed!:lol:
He had on one of my scud missiles when this one hit in a back eddy of the Athabasca.
Cat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/catnthehat/fishingpics010.jpg

Justanotherbuck2
01-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I have caught them on both drys and wets, and had a greater success with attractors versus imatators. They are spunky on a number a 3 weight or better quality 5 weight with a good flexible spine. They are fast and serious about biting when you get in the school its one after another. And I don't think they know their own size, they fight and jump and run like a rainbow twice their size! I have only fished them in the Red deer east of Trochu but they are likely the same on the Saskatchewan.

Big.Bear
01-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Best dry fly pattern for golden eye I have used is a Humpy

kayaker
01-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Thats great,
I give it a try for sure,
Are you guys fishing shallow gravel bars or deeper water eddies?

Gives me an excuse to get some more fly-tying material :D

Big.Bear
01-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I always caught mine in the shallow riffles. Yeah I always make sure to have a good supply of humpys.

tbosch
01-03-2009, 05:24 PM
I've never caught them on the north saskatchewan but on the red deer river i have had many great days of goldeye fishing on the fly. I've caught them on everything from muddler minnows to wooly buggers to stimulator patterns. On hot windy days in hopper season I haven't been able to keep them off the stimulator patterns.

xtabo.media
01-03-2009, 09:49 PM
I've had luck in on the south sask river in rock bottom areas. in up to 20ft of water fishing for walleye on the flyrod.
most on streamers and minnow patterns. i imagine anything that looks alive, those buggers will hit.

be prepared for anything, i had a sturgeon around the mark of 12lbs take cronomid and break my line... i almost keeled over in the mud i was so shocked.

DuckBrat
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
If you ever land a Sturgeon on a fly rod and fly make sure you record date/time, length, etc. Take a lot of pictures because there will be a lot of people wanting shake your hand. I don't think it's ever been done, it would definitely be a new record.