PDA

View Full Version : Finding the dividing lines in lakes as per fishing regs

Double-Eh
04-13-2015, 03:16 PM
So I was going through the regs yesterday, and I am planning on exploring a few new lakes this year as I have not strayed too far from what I know.
I have to say, the regs make it pretty tough for a guy who has never been to a lake to determine where these diving lines are through a lake where rule changes such as opening day, size and keep rules will suddenly swap from A to B.

Is there a simpler way to figure this all out? I can't make sense from the coordinates in the reg when comparing them to the teeny maps provided and all the slang terms used in there, which are useless to a first time goer. "The area commonly referred to as...." etc.

It would be great if I could find a map, or if ESRD had a website where they literally put a line through the lake for reference.

How have you guys sorted this out, or am I the only dumb dumb?

EZM
04-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Having the regs with a map drawn out would make too much sense - why would they want to do that? lol - I've often wondered the same thing.

If you have a modern phone, with maps, it should give you a GPS coordinate. OR alternately type it into google maps and make yourself a map before venturing out to the lake in question.

That's what I do.

waterninja
04-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Do what I do when I find a hot spot on the lake. I just put an X on the side of the boat with a felt pen.

the local angler
04-13-2015, 05:19 PM
i often wondered about that too man, even simple stuff like 25m from a spillway for example, i would expect a wooden post or something to indicate where the 25m mark would be. i have never seen a fisherman with a 25m measuring tape measuring to find it. lol.

Double-Eh
04-13-2015, 05:33 PM
The coordinates provided by the regs don't make a whole lot of sense to me... They aren't lat/longs. I'm far from an expert at reading maps/coordinates etc, but I cannot make any sense of the provided coordinates

Wild&Free
04-14-2015, 01:36 AM
BC fishing regs includes maps for "out of bounds" areas. Under the NDP they also went out and put up signs and marker posts and in some areas marker buoys.

Made it harder to break the law and easier to catch poachers.

I think the coordinates in the AB regs use the LSD system, so you'll have to shell out $$$ for a county map to figure it out.

Kim473
04-14-2015, 05:09 AM
I know at Pinehurst, there are markers on the shore where the closed area is. Not sure about other lakes.

fish99
04-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Do what I do when I find a hot spot on the lake. I just put an X on the side of the boat with a felt pen.

how do you know you will get the same boat next time.