PDA

View Full Version : Campbell river fishing charters??

Buck Krazy
04-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Any good recommendations? Looking for end of August Thanks in advance

wildcat111
04-14-2015, 07:59 PM
not sure if there still around but painters lodge used to be the place to go

Positrac
04-14-2015, 08:46 PM
If you want cheap then Painter's lodge is the place to go.

Coastal Island Fishing Adventures is good if you want to fish out of a nice Grady with someone who didn't just learn how to fish that summer.

Buck Krazy
04-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. Painters lodge it is!

kc_okotoks
04-17-2015, 01:02 AM
painters lodge is the best. they usually have great deals and guides who really know what they are doing . never been skunked yet fishing out of painters lodge.

Don Meredith
04-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Painters Lodge is good (been there a few times) but it's pretty much cookie-cutter fishing, where the guides all go to the same place and do most everything for you, not a lot of variation, i.e., if you're not catching fish, you just stick it out until the trip is up. A better spot, IMO, is Sea Beyond Adventures (bigger boat, stays out longer). If things aren't working out he will change it up and make it interesting. Check it out. You can stay at Painters (1st class lodging) and Gene will pick you up. He also has alternate accommodation that might be a bit cheaper. There are others.

Positrac
04-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Painters Lodge is good (been there a few times) but it's pretty much cookie-cutter fishing, where the guides all go to the same place and do most everything for you, not a lot of variation, i.e., if you're not catching fish, you just stick it out until the trip is up. A better spot, IMO, is Sea Beyond Adventures (bigger boat, stays out longer). If things aren't working out he will change it up and make it interesting. Check it out. You can stay at Painters (1st class lodging) and Gene will pick you up. He also has alternate accommodation that might be a bit cheaper. There are others.

A lot of Painter's guides just learned how to fish at the beginning of each season and are not what I would classify as highly skilled. There are a few exceptions but for the most part the really good guides in town may spend a few seasons at Painter's then move on to a better gig.

I also second Sea Beyond Aventures. Gene Berkey has been on the water since he was a kid and in one of the best guides in town. If you are in CR at the end of August I would at the very least get Gene or his wife Shauna to take you out for an evening row in the Tyee Pool. You may catch a slab and get your name entered in the record books.

Painters is still a good experience if you just want to get out on the water for a tide and don't want to spend a lot of money. When the fishing is good you will still catch fish. The difference is when the fishing slows down and the catch board at Painters dries up and a guy like Gene will still manage to scrounge up a few fish.

thunderheart
04-17-2015, 06:45 PM
if u are interested in a guide with 30 plus yrs experience who worked for yrs at painters and works out of quadra island let me know ... he is the real deal ..well proven track record....proper gear and tons and tons of local knowledge..

59whiskers
04-17-2015, 07:02 PM
Fished Painters Lodge 3 times back in the 70,s and 80,s it was a top notch operation back then and I am sure it still is today.