PDA

View Full Version : Laker Needed

FreshAirGetter
04-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Hi All,

I wasn't going to try to get all the species again this year, but my ocd is making me think that I should. I have 8 left, and although I have a few hard ones the hardest for me will definitely be a Lake Trout. I need help!

Would anyone be willing to let me tag along this year to catch one? If it ends up being at Cold Lake, I don't have a boat big enough or the downriggers (not even sure what those are), although I would consider getting downriggers if necessary. I only need one Laker to satisfy my humble needs, and I'd be willing to go almost anywhere in Alberta (I live in the Edmonton area though). I'd only want to devote one day to them, and pray to the fish gods that I catch one that day. I can drive myself or split the gas, doesn't matter to me. Any kind-hearted fisherman out there want to help a poor fisherman out? :-)

FreshAirGetter
04-16-2015, 12:50 PM
In case there are less deep lakes out there, I do have a small jet boat (only room for 2 of us) and a little pontoon boat (1-man float that I've never used) available...

cube
04-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Hi All,

I wasn't going to try to get all the species again this year, but my ocd is making me think that I should. I have 8 left, and although I have a few hard ones the hardest for me will definitely be a Lake Trout. I need help!

Would anyone be willing to let me tag along this year to catch one? If it ends up being at Cold Lake, I don't have a boat big enough or the downriggers (not even sure what those are), although I would consider getting downriggers if necessary. I only need one Laker to satisfy my humble needs, and I'd be willing to go almost anywhere in Alberta (I live in the Edmonton area though). I'd only want to devote one day to them, and pray to the fish gods that I catch one that day. I can drive myself or split the gas, doesn't matter to me. Any kind-hearted fisherman out there want to help a poor fisherman out? :-)

Don't need down riggers for lakers esp in the spring but even latter in the summer you can catch lots with out riggers.

If the weather is not that bad your small boat will get you far enough to catch them on cold lake.

Good luck to you.

FreshAirGetter
04-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Hmm...ok, will have to research how to catch them in the spring. I'm trying to convince my friend to buy a downrigger and then I'll get one too..he has a better boat that we could use. There's a good chance that we won't do it though this year so I'm feeling desperate...it has to be in 2015! lol

smitty9
04-16-2015, 01:51 PM
As stated, lakers tend to be shallow in the spring when water temperature are still cold.

Though I've never done it myself, I hear a classic Jasper fishing trip is to fish for lakers at Pyramid Lake on the May long weekend. Fairly confident they do this without downriggers.

As for the how, trolling bucktail jigs, flies, and spoons should work.

Smitty

buckdog
04-16-2015, 02:32 PM
If you have a 'fish finder"
find a school of lakers use a buzz bomb and jig through, em seems to work for us spring and summer(usually for us around 60' of water)

FreshAirGetter
04-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys, maybe just spring trolling will do the trick! Will feel much better once I figure out this pain in the neck species. Everyone seems to catch them like a joke, but I'm hopeless at the moment. Something to work on I guess...I don't like fishing lakes that much, but I do want to conquer each species with at least some competence, so to the lake I'll go!

Willowtrail
04-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Viral override and I head up there lots and are always willing to help someone out. We both have boats set up for lakers. As stated early spring they aren't deep but venture deeper as the water warms up.

We'll let you know when we head up in late May or June.

Blastoff
04-16-2015, 06:22 PM
There are charter guys on Cold Lake which is another angle if needed, had some friends use them worked for them, not sure on the costs.

EZM
04-17-2015, 08:04 AM
You can buy a dipsy diver and get down to the depths required quite easily to hook some lakers. For $20, there is no better way for the casual Lake Trout hunter to accomplish this without spending the money on a rigger.

Despite the fact my boat is equipped with a down rigger, we often run one down rigger and one dipsy diver (for 2 of us). Sometimes the dipsy diver out fishes the rigger ..... all you will need is a stiff sturdy rod (as the diver pulls pretty hard) and a reel that holds a fair amount of line. Using a magnum dipsy, for example gets your lure down roughly 40 feet for every 100 feet of line you let out.

Works great ..... another option.

FreshAirGetter
04-17-2015, 08:36 AM
Viral override and I head up there lots and are always willing to help someone out. We both have boats set up for lakers. As stated early spring they aren't deep but venture deeper as the water warms up.

We'll let you know when we head up in late May or June.

Thanks Willow, greatly appreciated!

FreshAirGetter
04-17-2015, 08:46 AM
There are charter guys on Cold Lake which is another angle if needed, had some friends use them worked for them, not sure on the costs.

Thanks Blastoff, that's actually a very sensible idea. A guide can probably teach me more in a day than I'll learn myself or from a friend in 10 years, but I can't help but want to learn the hard way...lol. But that definitely gives me an option...so thanks :-)

FreshAirGetter
04-17-2015, 08:48 AM
You can buy a dipsy diver and get down to the depths required quite easily to hook some lakers. For $20, there is no better way for the casual Lake Trout hunter to accomplish this without spending the money on a rigger.

Despite the fact my boat is equipped with a down rigger, we often run one down rigger and one dipsy diver (for 2 of us). Sometimes the dipsy diver out fishes the rigger ..... all you will need is a stiff sturdy rod (as the diver pulls pretty hard) and a reel that holds a fair amount of line. Using a magnum dipsy, for example gets your lure down roughly 40 feet for every 100 feet of line you let out.

Works great ..... another option.

Thanks EZM - I'm sure I have one, I have a sick obsession with buying anything I don't already have ;-)

-JR-
04-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Hi All,

Stay away from those Lakers....because once you catch one ,you will get hooked and will only want to fish for Lakers !

jkbloom
04-20-2015, 11:16 AM
I am not sure if you caught your lake trout yet, I have been fishing Cold lake for Lakers for about 17 years, get in touch with me in the spring and I will take you out.

crazyfish
04-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Don't worry about a smaller boat , I use a 12 ft tin , and use a downrigger ! Electronics are priceless , the down rigger can be skipped and just use the dipsy's diver or similar with a good rod holder . Have fun , lots of good advice and offers here !

FreshAirGetter
04-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Haha JR don't worry about that...I'll always want different species and my passion is smaller rivers/streams, so I won't get converted...but what will hopefully happen is I'll enjoy Cold Lake rather than despise it ;-)

jkbloom - I definitely have not caught my laker yet. Haven't even been out, except locally when I can sneak out an hour or two. I'll pm you and go from there...thanks for the great offer :-)

And thanks crazy and everyone else...hopefully lakers will change from my worst species to an enjoyable one!

Doubledown
04-20-2015, 04:18 PM
-JR- Nailed it, caught my first one this spring, and I'm hooked. I can hardlt wait to get out and do it again!