PDA

View Full Version : is it safe to fish east after the flood a few years back.

magic99
04-17-2015, 02:50 PM
HI,
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I was wondering if its safe to eat fish from lakes or even swim that was infected from the flood that went through calgary/highriver area? I went to little bow 2 years ago, after the flood and it was pretty bad, we couldn't even go in the water.

Thanks

Sooner
04-17-2015, 03:06 PM
I would say your good to go, no real difference then spring run off. Just a little more intense during the big one. I would think it is fine.

spinN'flyfish
04-17-2015, 03:14 PM
usually safe, but perhaps not the best during run off, will taste a little muddy. best taste i would say is winter ice caught fish

fishdude17
04-17-2015, 04:13 PM
I would say your good to go, no real difference then spring run off. Just a little more intense during the big one. I would think it is fine.

Not to start a :fighting0074:, but I would beg to differ. During the floods there was sewage, chemicals, gas, oil and you name it in the rivers...and lots of it. Quite a bit different than spring run off.

If you are in doubt about eating the fish from certain water bodies, check the fishing regs or contact an SRD office.

EZM
04-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Not to start a :fighting0074:, but I would beg to differ. During the floods there was sewage, chemicals, gas, oil and you name it in the rivers...and lots of it. Quite a bit different than spring run off.

If you are in doubt about eating the fish from certain water bodies, check the fishing regs or contact an SRD office.

I don't discount there may have been some areas and watersheds where higher levels of sewage may have been present but I'd say residual exposure and duration of these potentially questionable contaminants was quickly dissipated shortly after the water levels returned to normal.

That would be the way I'd look at it.

I wouldn't have too much concern myself.

Better to eat a fish out of the Bow river compared to the North Sask .... that's for sure.

TROLLER
04-17-2015, 04:52 PM
All the irrigation res. are what they call flushed, meaning enough water in and out to recycle the lake at least 2 times per season.

That being said, Twin, east of Parkland did get a fair amount of that nasty stuff from High River so you be the judge on that lake.

fishdude17
04-17-2015, 05:27 PM
I don't discount there may have been some areas and watersheds where higher levels of sewage may have been present but I'd say residual exposure and duration of these potentially questionable contaminants was quickly dissipated shortly after the water levels returned to normal.

That would be the way I'd look at it.

I wouldn't have too much concern myself.

Better to eat a fish out of the Bow river compared to the North Sask .... that's for sure.

Totally agree with you on this, I was just saying the water had a lot more contaminates in it during the floods vs normal spring run off. On a side note, I have never eaten fish from the NSR, but would be hesitant to eat one out of the Bow unless it was upstream of Calgary...that's just me though.