PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Open Water Derby Discussion Thread

RavYak
04-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Hey guys, sorry I have been really busy and forgot last years derby started Apr 1st not May 1st like I was thinking...

I am preparing everything right now and will post the official submission thread soon.

I am making a couple minor changes so make sure you read through the rules carefully once I post them.

Because there are lots of open lakes already I will start the derby next Saturday, April 25th. I will post the tokens on Thursday so make sure you check here and print one off for the weekend.

Please remember to use this as the discussion thread as the official thread is meant for submissions only.

I hope we have a good turnout this season and want to wish good luck to all that decide to enter.

RavYak
04-17-2015, 10:22 PM
Official thread is up.

As mentioned tokens will be posted on Thursday and the derby starts Saturday.

Good luck.

Here is a link to the official thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=252066

Hydro1
04-17-2015, 11:08 PM
Looks like a great competition and I look forward to "competing" this year. Thanks for setting it up again.

The fish I do catch are typically kept for consumption, so would it be alright If I take a photo and measure it as outlined in the rules. Then gut it? Or would you prefer the fish submitted to be released?

RavYak
04-18-2015, 12:31 AM
The derby is catch and release based, as long as your submissions show this then that is fine by me.

If you choose to gut the fish afterwards that is your decision and has nothing to do with the derby. I just want to keep the derby submissions kept clean so it doesn't raise a fuss.

Hydro1
04-18-2015, 12:39 AM
Perfect, thanks for the reply.

FreshAirGetter
04-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Nice work Rav...looks great, whether or not I enter or not. In my defense if I don't, who wants to compete against the current champ? lol

I'm surprised you have Grayling on there...I didn't see Sturgeon or Bulls (probably because there's a zero province-wide limit), and I believe Grayling are the same now...if you call me on it I'll double check...lol.

Hydro1
04-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Nice work Rav...looks great, whether or not I enter or not. In my defense if I don't, who wants to compete against the current champ? lol

I'm surprised you have Grayling on there...I didn't see Sturgeon or Bulls (probably because there's a zero province-wide limit), and I believe Grayling are the same now...if you call me on it I'll double check...lol.

You are correct.

General

A province-wide assessment of Arctic grayling indicates a need for greater protection. Reducing mortality from angling will support grayling recovery. A zero limit (catch and release) angling regulation is being implemented province-wide for 2015. Grayling conservation and recovery will also be facilitated by placing increased emphasis on habitat protection considerations in land and water management processes. More information about the status of Arctic grayling can be obtained from the department’s website (http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/fisheries-management/fish-sustainability-index/fsi-species-maps/arctic-grayling-fsi.aspx)

jacenbeers
04-20-2015, 05:41 PM
I agree that if bulls and sturgeon are not included then grayling should also be off the table.

jacenbeers
04-20-2015, 05:42 PM
Why is quillback its own category and there is another for suckers of all species?

RavYak
04-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Yeah I guess I should remove grayling, they aren't a threatened species yet but with zero limit you are still supposed to return them immediately.

I can get rid of Quillback too, I only left them since if anyone is lucky enough to catch one I figured they deserved a little credit lol.

AppleJax
04-20-2015, 07:24 PM

That's a great point! We should take them off the list. Best to get them back in the water ASAP.... or better yet keep them in it.

waterninja
04-20-2015, 07:57 PM
Thanks to Rav for running the tourney again. it must be a lot of work. Good luck everyone .

FreshAirGetter
04-21-2015, 09:51 AM
For noticing such a thing of great importance, if I enter the derby, can I be accredited 5 extra inches per fish? :-)

Kingfisher
04-21-2015, 12:16 PM
For noticing such a thing of great importance, if I enter the derby, can I be accredited 5 extra inches per fish? :-)

Actully, for noticing and now being a contributing member to the rules of engagement for this tournament you are now banned from entering any fish into this years tourney.
Thank you for your contribution.

FreshAirGetter
04-21-2015, 04:55 PM
Yeah right...tell that to Rav too, good luck :snapoutofit:

RavYak
04-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Here are the derby tokens.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/Derby%20Token%20Ravyak.png

Fresh, pretty sure pros like you aren't allowed to enter ;).

Rikkles Fisher
04-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Here are the derby tokens.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/Derby%20Token%20Ravyak.png

Fresh, pretty sure pros like you aren't allowed to enter ;).
So Ravyak it will be all good if I just draw out my card to something similar to that and write my username on it? No printer.

RavYak
04-23-2015, 10:30 PM
So Ravyak it will be all good if I just draw out my card to something similar to that and write my username on it? No printer.

Yes a handwritten token will surfice, you must know someone with a printer though lol ;).

chriscosta
04-24-2015, 06:57 AM

Ricky save the image in your phone then crop it and write your name on it with the photo editing app ..then stop at walmart kiosk and print one out

Rikkles Fisher
04-24-2015, 09:02 AM
Ricky save the image in your phone then crop it and write your name on it with the photo editing app ..then stop at walmart kiosk and print one out

Yeah right lmao won't get an entry in til august that way! I'm not even gonna draw anything then IL just write on a piece of paper 2015 open water derby with my username on it then?

Rikkles Fisher
04-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Yes a handwritten token will surfice, you must know someone with a printer though lol ;).

Yeah I'm sure IL run into a fellow AOF member with an extra card eventually. 😊

FreshAirGetter
04-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Haha you guys are funny. This kinda sucks for me...I've already caught 11 species this year...not sure I want to start from scratch again, especially knowing you guys only target the tanks and I only go for minnows...lol. But I'll leave it up to fate - tomorrow happens to be a weekend I'll be going out (don't have my daughter) so if I catch tomorrow I'll enter, if I get skunked I won't. How nice of it to be snowing then...lol...Mother Nature and I don't seem to get along, but hasn't stopped me yet ;-)

Can someone pm me on the ultimate portable measuring board? I like walking streams as compared to fishing the trophy lakes like others :thinking-006: so it needs to be able to be clipped on to my fly vest or backpack...

and Ricky get one from my brother (Platinum) or if you fish with these other guys I'm sure they'll take care of you :-)

FreshAirGetter
04-24-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm probably one of the last guys to want to fish a stocked pond, but what does it mean in the rules about no community lakes?

RavYak
04-24-2015, 02:20 PM
The frabil/plano measuring board is a decent one, some walmarts sell them for cheap. Fishinhole sells a plastic board for like 4 bucks that is light and 40 inch long but would almost need a 2nd pair of hands since it is only flat and flexible. Hawg trough is lighter but longer then plano(plano longer when extended) but isn't available locally.

Can fish any public lakes, private lakes are off limits as it is not fair if you own or know someone that owns a private lake with huge fish.

FreshAirGetter
04-24-2015, 02:28 PM
thanks Rav...and yeah, that sounds fair, just wasn't sure on what a "community lake" was. I thought some stocked ponds in a community (ie. Beaumont, or wherever) might not be allowed for whatever reason...

Squidlips
04-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Would this work if I was to place my phone next to the fish? http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/26/3060fadfcd77fcd144f67e7fbd2501e9.jpg

RavYak
04-26-2015, 10:11 PM
Getting your phone picture to turn out readable would probably prove difficult.

There has to be some way you can print a version off. Friend, family, library, work, walmart... Where there is a will there is a way.

Squidlips
04-27-2015, 06:47 AM
Okay thanks ravyak

FreshAirGetter
04-27-2015, 10:09 AM
Against my better judgement I'll post for the derby to keep things interesting for the contestants...but I won't be actively pursuing each species or targetting the biggest and best like a true contestant should (ie. Rav, etc...lol).

Looks like OG beat me to the 1st post...nicely done. Viggo said he would be all over it this year, but I don't see anything yet. Maybe he went for the motherlode and ended up otherwise detained? :shark: lol

viggopartaco
04-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Don't you worry your little heart about it - I had a good 15 inch brown but forgot to put my token on it - that's nice - unless with a witness I'd be able to use it still - OG is my witness and it is a smaller Brown the posted already to the contest.

Lets not forget if it was not for me saying you forgot your token on the first fish FreshAirGetter that you would not even have used it all day and to top it off may have even lost it as you forgot about the token in your back vest pocket lmao !!

FreshAirGetter
04-27-2015, 11:58 AM
Haha I know what a pain...not sure the derby is worth the aggravation! I get out my measuring board, get everything ready while trying to keep the poor fish in the water in my net for some extra breaths, finally get the fish to hold still for a picture, snap the pic, get him back in the water. Then later you're like "did you remember your token in the pic?"

D'oh!

At least I learned from my mistakes and started using my token after...you ended up with no pics with it....ahahahahahaha:sHa_shakeshout: That's some bad luck!

Don't you worry your little heart about it - I had a good 15 inch brown but forgot to put my token on it - that's nice - unless with a witness I'd be able to use it still - OG is my witness and it is a smaller Brown the posted already to the contest.

Lets not forget if it was not for me saying you forgot your token on the first fish FreshAirGetter that you would not even have used it all day and to top it off may have even lost it as you forgot about the token in your back vest pocket lmao !!

Og Dumi
04-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Hey do you guys remember that 42 inch Brookie I caught with you on Saturday? Rember you saw it right? Forgot my token.... Oh and I forgot the picture. Hmm ps looks like you guys will be the drivers for a bit my truck is a right off :(

FreshAirGetter
04-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Nice fish Ricky, I hear you're a genius! But I half-disagree with Chris Costa...he does speak the truth about Ricky putting on the most miles overall, but on the days I do fish I bet I put on more miles. But I can guarantee Ricky fishes smarter! I bet he'd catch more fish in one pool than I would running to 30....one day I'll learn :thinking-006:

Og Dumi
04-28-2015, 09:25 AM
Nice fish Ricky, I hear you're a genius! But I half-disagree with Chris Costa...he does speak the truth about Ricky putting on the most miles overall, but on the days I do fish I bet I put on more miles. But I can guarantee Ricky fishes smarter! I bet he'd catch more fish in one pool than I would running to 30....one day I'll learn :thinking-006:

Lol! You put on the miles because you run everywhere!!!

Rikkles Fisher
04-28-2015, 11:46 AM

Thanks man! IL be disappointed if I don't get one over 20 inches today I lost so many yesterday. Yeah I don't go too crazy I'd say on average only 10-15km a good day Fishin, but I have been out like 8 times already this April lol

FreshAirGetter
04-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks man! IL be disappointed if I don't get one over 20 inches today I lost so many yesterday. Yeah I don't go too crazy I'd say on average only 10-15km a good day Fishin, but I have been out like 8 times already this April lol

Must be nice while I slave away here at work...lol. Good luck, but remember to save us one fish, and preferably one inch bigger :-)

viggopartaco
04-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Question: I know that Bulltrout are a catch and release species, I understand that fully. That being said that when your fishing for Brooks, Brown Trout, and Cutties you will find that your in Bull Country. Just checking on the reason behind not having them in the Derby ? (my guess is that you are just trying to promote keeping them in the water and not causing any undue distress on the fish?)

RavYak
04-28-2015, 10:46 PM
Question: I know that Bulltrout are a catch and release species, I understand that fully. That being said that when your fishing for Brooks, Brown Trout, and Cutties you will find that your in Bull Country. Just checking on the reason behind not having them in the Derby ? (my guess is that you are just trying to promote keeping them in the water and not causing any undue distress on the fish?)

Bull Trout, Sturgeon and Arctic Grayling are all catch and release species and are supposed to be returned to the water immediately. Taking measurements/pictures of fish is not releasing the fish immediately and hence is frowned upon.

FreshAirGetter
04-30-2015, 11:18 PM
What a cheat...nice try OG, that rainbow is 9.5, not 10.5...I see you try to gain an extra inch! We gotta watch you like a hawk ;-) Better leave the measuring to me next time we're out...hahahahaha

Hydro1
04-30-2015, 11:23 PM
What a cheat...nice try OG, that rainbow is 9.5, not 10.5...I see you try to gain an extra inch! We gotta watch you like a hawk ;-) Better leave the measuring to me next time we're out...hahahahaha

I saw that... :)
I'm jealous of you guys catching fish already.
No bodies of water within jogging distance open yet. That contain fish at least.

Og Dumi
04-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Haha sorry I can't count!! Pictures dont lie though 9.5" my mistake :(

FreshAirGetter
05-01-2015, 10:29 PM
Hey Viggo, I think you might have measured your Goldeye wrong - it's goofy, there's that border on my measuring board but that's not the beginning of the measurements - it's on the outside edge of it. You can count the quarters of the inches and see that the line you used was the 2nd quarter. I actually measure mine with my measuring tape and then stick it on there so I know, but don't think you did...so might have to cut your measurement back a smidge..lol. At least you weren't as bad as OG trying to get away with a whole inch though ;-)

FreshAirGetter
05-01-2015, 10:31 PM
Nice fish everyone. Mitch is taking us by storm! But I get the feeling Rav will be hiding out at his secret honey holes until he catches a trophy, then put one fish on the board bigger than 5 of ours...lol

Mitchthefisher
05-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Goal is a 20+inch goldeye and rainbow this week for me. Tight lines guys!

RavYak
05-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Nice fish everyone. Mitch is taking us by storm! But I get the feeling Rav will be hiding out at his secret honey holes until he catches a trophy, then put one fish on the board bigger than 5 of ours...lol

I don't know how to catch big fish :thinking-006:

So far I have only got little dinky rainbows like yours, I didn't bother posting them though :sHa_sarcasticlol:.

PlatinumBarMan
05-02-2015, 11:16 PM
Alright I'm in, just posted my biggest catches so far for the derby. Thanks Ricky for letting me use your one of a kind measuring board :sHa_shakeshout:
:bad_boys_20:

Og Dumi
05-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Alright I'm in, just posted my biggest catches so far for the derby. Thanks Ricky for letting me use your one of a kind measuring board :sHa_shakeshout:
:bad_boys_20:

Woohoo, nice fish Chris!

PlatinumBarMan
05-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Woohoo, nice fish Chris!

Thanks Aaron, pretty stoked about my 3 lb 3 oz brown was only 2 cm longer than my previous personal best but weighed twice as much. And my little brookie was a nice surprise the colors on it look awesome especially the red fins and white tips

Og Dumi
05-03-2015, 07:52 AM
Yes the pretty the brook is nice, and nice brown for sure it took me all day yesterday to get a brown :( cursed water.

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Beauty brown trout ravyak it looks like you have that finicky lake figured out! They sure look different then moving water browns eh?

FreshAirGetter
05-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Beauty brown trout ravyak it looks like you have that finicky lake figured out! They sure look different then moving water browns eh?

I knew Rav would come out of the woodwork with some monsters. Can I just bow out now? :mad0030:

Mitchthefisher
05-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Beauty brown and perch rav! looks like i better turn things up a notch so i can keep up with ya lol.

RavYak
05-04-2015, 09:36 AM
Just trying to get the easy ones out of the way ;)

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 10:06 AM
I knew Rav would come out of the woodwork with some monsters. Can I just bow out now? :mad0030:

Stick with it! Win the biggest cuttie! Heard you caught a big one last year I think? Lol lots of time left!

FreshAirGetter
05-04-2015, 10:13 AM
Stick with it! Win the biggest cuttie! Heard you caught a big one last year I think? Lol lots of time left!

Oh...haha...still not sure if that was a cutt or a cuttbow, but could count it as a cutt since it had the slash. Never did measure it, but was more of a short and fat one. I'm guessing around 4 lbs? But no longer than a 2 lb'er...lol. That was one of my most ridiculous catches - I was in thick bush, saw a pool in a tiny clearing, tried casting, got caught in the trees, the lure dropped down in the water straight in front of me, then the fat cutt came out of nowhere like a slow moving cow though and then just bit it. I was stunned and managed to get it up (my line still tangled in the trees). Once I got it out I wanted to measure and weigh it, but I felt like I was trapped in a spiderweb of bush so knew there'd be no way to accomplish that and keep that cutty alive, so just took a quick pic and threw it back. Maybe this year I'll try again, but the length was nothing to brag about...haha

But I'll stick with it, will help keep Rav on his toes - maybe he'll get some more personal records, which is great for him....and me, not so much ;-)

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 01:33 PM
I plan on putting in more effort then I did in the ice derby I am shooting for total inches more so then biggest fish though.

FreshAirGetter
05-04-2015, 01:45 PM
I plan on putting in more effort then I did in the ice derby I am shooting for total inches more so then biggest fish though.

You'll have to do both to compete with our current kayaking champ ;-)

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 01:50 PM
You'll have to do both to compete with our current kayaking champ ;-)

We should make him suffer for that brown because you can't see his username or face in the pic lolol no proof it's his! Bahaha what you think Rav?

RavYak
05-04-2015, 02:01 PM
We should make him suffer for that brown because you can't see his username or face in the pic lolol no proof it's his! Bahaha what you think Rav?

Rule allows it, date and identity are easily identified.

Worst case I would have to use this one instead lol ;).

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/1430672236_angler4234_team1191.jpg

Any one who wants my title this summer is gonna have to earn it ;).

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 02:08 PM

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb267/murtyl/1430672236_angler4234_team1191.jpg

Lol I know I was just bugging you, if I don't beat you this year in total inches this year it's only because I ran out of gas money or time, it won't be from lack of skill😉 lol

Mitchthefisher
05-04-2015, 02:10 PM

Challenge accepted lol.

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 02:10 PM
Damn funny tail on that brown too if the bottom of the tail wasn't so long it would only be a 26 incher lol

RavYak
05-04-2015, 02:17 PM
Damn funny tail on that brown too if the bottom of the tail wasn't so long it would only be a 26 incher lol

That one was only 26 inches. Just the angle that makes it look bigger(hence why a good measuring board/tape setup is a must for this derby as it is too easy to fudge numbers otherwise.

Also caught a 25 inch male. By far my best trip to that lake, sure beats the 7 times I have been skunked by the browns...

Mitchthefisher
05-04-2015, 02:23 PM
I think i will have to make a few trips down there and see if i can get one of those hogs.:fighting0030:

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 02:24 PM
That one was only 26 inches. Just the angle that makes it look bigger(hence why a good measuring board/tape setup is a must for this derby as it is too easy to fudge numbers otherwise.

Also caught a 25 inch male. By far my best trip to that lake, sure beats the 7 times I have been skunked by the browns...

yeah that's a tough lake to fish but after that many trips it's inevitable not to figure it out! Still not the same as a running water brown if you ask me though lol you throw them all back for me to try and catch? Lol

RavYak
05-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Yeah I threw em back but saw a couple being kept. If you catch one out there throw it back, it would be horrible eating anyway...

Pretty weak younger age classes as well so once these few big ones are gone might not be much left in that lake... Unless you like catching suckers, saw hundreds of those lol.

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Yeah I threw em back but saw a couple being kept. If you catch one out there throw it back, it would be horrible eating anyway...

Pretty weak younger age classes as well so once these few big ones are gone might not be much left in that lake... Unless you like catching suckers, saw hundreds of those lol.

I'd definitely throw em back I do my fish eating out of the rivers and streams mostly too. Pm me some good lures to try Rav lol

FreshAirGetter
05-04-2015, 03:09 PM
Lol I know I was just bugging you, if I don't beat you this year in total inches this year it's only because I ran out of gas money or time, it won't be from lack of skill�� lol

And I'll only lose because I'm broke, no time, and no skill..oh and no luck either :sign0161:

Rikkles Fisher
05-04-2015, 03:15 PM
And I'll only lose because I'm broke, no time, and no skill..oh and no luck either :sign0161:

Haha at least your honest!

viggopartaco
05-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Terrible eating you say? Not sure what fish your talking about but hope you don't mean Stocked OBED :) God there Tasty !!

FreshAirGetter
05-04-2015, 10:47 PM
I think i will have to make a few trips down there and see if i can get one of those hogs.:fighting0030:

Mitch, no need to go get a trophy...you already have the motherlode for the derby...lol

Mitchthefisher
05-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Mitch, no need to go get a trophy...you already have the motherlode for the derby...lol

Aha the motherload is not quite finished.. long ways to go.

FreshAirGetter
05-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Where the heck did you catch that nice walleye Ricky? Unless I get lucky in the river, I thought only bigger ones like that would be in lakes closed at the moment. What a luckbox ;-)

Mitchthefisher
05-06-2015, 10:01 AM
there is some monsters in the river man just got to keep trying.

Rikkles Fisher
05-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Where the heck did you catch that nice walleye Ricky? Unless I get lucky in the river, I thought only bigger ones like that would be in lakes closed at the moment. What a luckbox ;-)

It's just a medium sized one a guy can get 30 inchers outta the NSR. Once you get one get your hook out with same presentation in same spot ASAP they seem to travel in schools it's like plucking the big perch out of the school have to go through some small ones.

FreshAirGetter
05-06-2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I never catch big ones in the river...but know some guys who caught an 8 lb'er. Guess I'll just keep trying, if this winter wonderland will cease :thinking-006:

CanadianBadass
05-06-2015, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I never catch big ones in the river...but know some guys who caught an 8 lb'er. Guess I'll just keep trying, if this winter wonderland will cease :thinking-006:

I think the new alberta record walleye will be from the NSR in the next 2 years

Rikkles Fisher
05-06-2015, 06:48 PM
I think the new alberta record walleye will be from the NSR in the next 2 years

I'd like to meet that walleye. I think so too.

RavYak
05-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Most of the trophy walleye seem to prefer to hang out down at Tobin but there must be the odd record quality fish that makes it into Alberta every now and again.

FreshAirGetter
05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Can we stop the derby now and tabulate the winner? It's my only hope! lol I've caught all the fish I know how :scared0018:

I thought I caught the nicest brown of my life, and see it's the smallest...lol...oh well, it was my personal best. It's tough being a newb!

Mitchthefisher
05-08-2015, 09:12 AM
Thats a nice burb man, was it on the nsr?

Og Dumi
05-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Hey Fresh you can stop anytime, wish I could sneak off until 3 in the morning like you! Must be nice. You might not make it back from the water Saturday ;)

Your gear will be just fine though you got nice buddies.

FreshAirGetter
05-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Thats a nice burb man, was it on the nsr?

Umm, would you believe Beaumont trout pond?:sHa_sarcasticlol: lol yeah was on the nsr. Funny, last year I didn't even catch one burbot in the nsr. This year I've caught 2 now...at different spots. I'm glad my biggest one was last night, so I could enter it in the derby! It wasn't the heaviest one I've every caught (this one was 5 lbs 8 oz, I think my heaviest one was 6 lbs 5 oz earlier this winter), but this one was 2 cm longer - and if I could straighten it even more...lol. I don't know what you have to do to stop the tail from curling - they're a strong fish! I actually thought it was a 8 lbs sturgeon while reeling it in, and then was really surprised to see a nice burb :-)

FreshAirGetter
05-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Hey Fresh you can stop anytime, wish I could sneak off until 3 in the morning like you! Must be nice. You might not make it back from the water Saturday ;)

Your gear will be just fine though you got nice buddies.

Haha 3 in the morning, yeah right! I work 9-5...what are your hours today? Oh yes, you told me you have yet another day off. Between the hours you, Viggo, and Ricky work, I'm surprised I can compete! lmao

P.S. How do I get early retirement? I'll be working until I'm dead :thinking-006:

Og Dumi
05-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Lmao I have like 3-5 days off in a year! I am out of Alberta for a month during the derby some competitor I am :(

FreshAirGetter
05-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Lmao I have like 3-5 days off in a year! I am out of Alberta for a month during the derby some competitor I am :(

No wonder you tried to sneak an extra inch on your minno...er...rainbow! Poor Rav will have a hard time tabulating the results...wrong rainbow length from you, wrong goldeye length from viggo...it'll be a full time job keeping you delinquents in line :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Og Dumi
05-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Lmao what a punk

Rikkles Fisher
05-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Umm, would you believe Beaumont trout pond?:sHa_sarcasticlol: lol yeah was on the nsr. Funny, last year I didn't even catch one burbot in the nsr. This year I've caught 2 now...at different spots. I'm glad my biggest one was last night, so I could enter it in the derby! It wasn't the heaviest one I've every caught (this one was 5 lbs 8 oz, I think my heaviest one was 6 lbs 5 oz earlier this winter), but this one was 2 cm longer - and if I could straighten it even more...lol. I don't know what you have to do to stop the tail from curling - they're a strong fish! I actually thought it was a 8 lbs sturgeon while reeling it in, and then was really surprised to see a nice burb :-)
Nice burb man! That might be one that stays up for awhile.

FreshAirGetter
05-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Nice burb man! That might be one that stays up for awhile.

Thanks Ricky. Yeah that's the problem, my fish will only hold for a while..I should be thinking more long term I suppose? :thinking-006:

I'm glad to see no posts from you for a few days...you caught a bunch at once in one fell swoop there! Remember to take time for yourself like going tanning or out to the movies or spending time with loved ones, no need to go overboard with fishing, don't you worry about us ;-)

Rikkles Fisher
05-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks Ricky. Yeah that's the problem, my fish will only hold for a while..I should be thinking more long term I suppose? :thinking-006:

I'm glad to see no posts from you for a few days...you caught a bunch at once in one fell swoop there! Remember to take time for yourself like going tanning or out to the movies or spending time with loved ones, no need to go overboard with fishing, don't you worry about us ;-)
Lmao! One fish at a time, quality over quantity. I put that pike up as a joke one of the smallest I have ever caught lol. If all goes well IL have a decent rainbow to post and maybe even a rocky too that should boost the numbers a bit.

viggopartaco
05-10-2015, 12:20 PM
God I love the colors on my latest brown for the derby post - should call that freaking thing a "Golden Brown" looks so sweet - let it go to see another day. Maybe next year I'll be back and it will be a pound or two heavier :) !

Rikkles Fisher
05-10-2015, 12:42 PM
It's a decent little brown for sure! Wait til fall time when they get their color.

FreshAirGetter
05-11-2015, 10:46 AM
Yeah nice fish Viggo...sucky part for me is I casted in that pool 100 times and got skunked. You casted once or twice and then yelled "fish on!"...that's nice. But congrats, and you're climbing up the rankings.

Aaron caught a brookie but didn't know...hahahahahahahahahahah...that's some bad luck! Hopefully you catch another! lmao

I see Ricky got a rainbow...never as big as hoped I'm guessing, but a nice one anyway! Got me beat.

Great walleye Raf! Geez, I see I'll have to pick it up a notch...I have my daughter this weekend but maybe she'll want to go fishing :-)

Too bad I got skunked yesterday..had hopes of catching 2 new species...instead got skunked, lost my new net, and almost drowned in the river...fishing sure keeps a guy humble!

FreshAirGetter
05-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Hacman, did you say you caught 6 species in one weekend? If that's true, wow, that's pretty crazy. I'm going to have to come fishing where you go! haha...I guess I could accomplish it, but it would be a lot of running around combined with a lot of luck! I guess experience would help though :thinking-006:

FreshAirGetter
05-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Wow Ricky, yet another species. You should calm down and take it easy now ;-)

hacman
05-11-2015, 11:23 PM
Hacman, did you say you caught 6 species in one weekend? If that's true, wow, that's pretty crazy. I'm going to have to come fishing where you go! haha...I guess I could accomplish it, but it would be a lot of running around combined with a lot of luck! I guess experience would help though :thinking-006:

Well, I do get around. May have exagerated a bit though, only 5 species this weekend, the 6th was the week before. Thought I'd give you guys a head start. :)

Hydro1
05-11-2015, 11:26 PM
My area of the rdr opens on the 15th!!!:sHa_shakeshout:
Will start to contribute then... hopefully.

PlatinumBarMan
05-12-2015, 01:21 PM
My pics were pretty crappy but I ended up with 3 new species at the NSR last night. The last pic has FreshAirGetter's token and mine in it, just ignore his lol.:thinking-006:

FreshAirGetter
05-12-2015, 01:36 PM
I wish I didn't have a fluke brother who catches every fish in the sea...but nice catches Platinum. You're now tied with species with me, and luckily a little less in the inches department. Something tells me after this weekend it'll all change anyway, and sucks I won't be able to fish much but still lots of time..lol. And yes your pics are...less than optimal ;-)

Viggo, how nice of you to post another walleye the same size...I'd probably just post a new fish that's bigger than the last :thinking-006: And would be nice if you didn't dirty my board unless it was bigger to boot!

RavYak
05-12-2015, 05:27 PM
New rule, you guys aren't allowed to fish every single day lol.

It is nice seeing the extra competition. So far 6 members would have placed in top 10 according to last years standings and we aren't even 3 weeks into the derby...

The question is, can they keep it up and are they going to start catching big fish ;). For anyone contemplating joining don't let the early birds scare you off, there is lots of season remaining.

Og Dumi
05-13-2015, 07:11 AM
Thanks Rav for posing the standings. Hey Troy you can stop fishing anytime!!

FreshAirGetter
05-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Haha well with the amount of times I get skunked I need all the time I can get! It's tough being a newb...

I still fish every second weekend for my "main trips" (full day), but now that I lost custody of my daughter I can get out to the river a few nights/week for a couple hours...but don't worry, no need for you guys to panic. After 3 hours of fishing last night all I got was 1 baby walleye. I was in a snag for a lot of it, pulling in a big log (at least I know my hooks and line are strong).

To make matters worse, I tripped in the bush somehow trying to dock the boat and landed on sharp sticks - almost got impaled! Between new holes in my body and about 20 thistles still in my hands and arms, I feel like a war victim. If the fish gods punished me that bad for catching and releasing a little Walleye, what will they do if I catch a Sturgeon? :thinking-006: This derby will kill me yet!

Dago, congrats on the Sauger. Last year was my first real year of fishing and that was the final species I had left to catch in my quest to learn how to fish. My brother tried catching them all too and only one fish stood in his way...Sauger...lol. He'll puke when he sees your first post in the derby is that...hahahaha.

And Rav, quit making fun of my baby fish :scared: I got a couple nice ones! (well my personal bests...lol)

RavYak
05-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Doh, I didn't look close enough and put Dago's sauger as a walleye, will fix for next standings.

Rikkles Fisher
05-13-2015, 11:16 AM
Hey 2 or 3 days a week isn't everyday!lol I have been trying to post only decent fish so far but the pike was for S's and giggles I didn't expect such a small pike where I was fishing that day. And let's not forget Mitchthefisher has biggest goldeye too. I have about 20 missed hookups and chances at Rockies, this is the first year in 10 I haven't caught a rocky already lol little jerks are eluding me.:angry3:

FreshAirGetter
05-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Hey 2 or 3 days a week isn't everyday!lol I have been trying to post only decent fish so far but the pike was for S's and giggles I didn't expect such a small pike where I was fishing that day. And let's not forget Mitchthefisher has biggest goldeye too. I have about 20 missed hookups and chances at Rockies, this is the first year in 10 I haven't caught a rocky already lol little jerks are eluding me.:angry3:

That's some bad luck! Last year I only caught 2 (and my brother had a nightmare of a time to get his - he spent like 4 days straight to catch one). This year though I've already caught 7, and luckily the biggest was on the opening of derby day :-) What a monster that was, compared to the little guys I normally see...

Rikkles Fisher
05-13-2015, 12:09 PM
That's some bad luck! Last year I only caught 2 (and my brother had a nightmare of a time to get his - he spent like 4 days straight to catch one). This year though I've already caught 7, and luckily the biggest was on the opening of derby day :-) What a monster that was, compared to the little guys I normally see...

Yeah that was a big rocky, almost as big as my personal best😉

FreshAirGetter
05-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Yeah that was a big rocky, almost as big as my personal best��

lol I don't want to know...ignorance is bliss! Leave me be in my own bubble of glory...lol

Sometimes I think this site is bad for my morale...everyone's like "I couldn't keep them off my hook!" while I struggle to not get skunked. I catch a 2 lbs...someone else catches a 20 lbs...that's nice...lol

Og Dumi
05-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Hey guys thought I'd post a pic of my walleye the pic with it measured doesn't do justice. Thanks!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/14/1531f008794c5e4a048f7a8613178a3b.jpg

Mitchthefisher
05-14-2015, 08:01 AM
Hey guys thought I'd post a pic of my walleye the pic with it measured doesn't do justice. Thanks!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/14/1531f008794c5e4a048f7a8613178a3b.jpg

Thats a beaut man!! congrats. Looks like the late night paid off!:sHa_shakeshout:

Og Dumi
05-14-2015, 08:08 AM
Haha thanks Mitch, yeah it did but now I'm a zombie at work..

FreshAirGetter
05-14-2015, 09:16 AM
Yeah nice fish...I'm a good buddy for taking the pic, although there's no denying I had the time :thinking-006:

Obviously my river rig sucks ever since I changed it a few days ago after the burbot...I quit the river until next week, and will have to figure out a new rig. Darn fishing.

Og Dumi
05-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Haha thanks Troy, sorry about the night you had... But you are in the lead so I don't feel that bad :sHa_shakeshout:

FreshAirGetter
05-15-2015, 09:06 AM
OG, why do I get the feeling you're not that sorry? :thinking-006: And I hear you caught everything in sight last night...you really have to show me what you are doing!!! Remember to be a pal and get good karma ;-) And you'll be sorely missed when you go to Sask, don't worry, the derby will wait on hold for you :-)

Hacman - nice burb. Those are extremely rare for me too...I got lucky this year.

Mitch - nice rocky!

Jhutter - too bad about those lunkers...I wouldn't upset the fish gods though, don't catch any more like that until next year ;-)

SKsniper - welcome to the derby...I like your tag..haha

Ricky - thanks!! Despite me being....let's say slightly frustrated last night with losing everything I was catching...you ended up helping me bring in a beauty Rainbow! Thanks for netting it for me...I seem to always lose them right at the boat, and I fear my casting brother may not have been able to help...lol...yet he was rewarded with the biggest of the night! Don't worry Ricky, the fish gods will reward you with a rocky in short time :-)

Viggo - I hear you're the redtail sucker king...I must admit, they're a gorgeous fish :-)

Hydro - we're still waiting for your first post ;-)

Rav - we're not waiting for any of your posts...no tanks allowed :scared0018:

Og Dumi
05-15-2015, 02:02 PM
Hahaha yeah the women did better than everyone though :(, I have a two month handicap so I better fish faster... And ya I really done feel bad :thinking-006:

FreshAirGetter
05-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Hahaha yeah the women did better than everyone though :(, I have a two month handicap so I better fish faster... And ya I really done feel bad :thinking-006:

2 month handicap? I thought you were only gone for 1? Or do you need a month-long nap from the 1-hour time zone difference? ;-)

P.S. Please have your wife teach me how to fish!

Og Dumi
05-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Hahahaha yeah anywhere for 1-2 months who knows could be more. Works gotta get done I suppose :(

FreshAirGetter
05-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Hahahaha yeah anywhere for 1-2 months who knows could be more. Works gotta get done I suppose :(

Well it's a good thing you've been fishing every day then...should keep you in the leaderboards while you're away...lol

P.S. I'm glad your wife didn't enter the derby...I hear she caught all the lunkers! Hopefully you don't pick up any of her tips ;-)

pinelakeperch
05-15-2015, 02:33 PM
We caught three or four of these tanks a few days ago. Anyone know what the record White Sucker would be? I didn't have a tape on me but my cutting board goes up to 23in and it was about 5-6 inches longer than that.

http://i.imgur.com/tkBqOWx.png

Og Dumi
05-15-2015, 02:36 PM
Well it's a good thing you've been fishing every day then...should keep you in the leaderboards while you're away...lol

P.S. I'm glad your wife didn't enter the derby...I hear she caught all the lunkers! Hopefully you don't pick up any of her tips ;-)

I hope your right, and she's using my tips ;)

RavYak
05-15-2015, 02:50 PM
We caught three or four of these tanks a few days ago. Anyone know what the record White Sucker would be? I didn't have a tape on me but my cutting board goes up to 23in and it was about 5-6 inches longer than that.

http://i.imgur.com/tkBqOWx.png

That is a silver redhorse not a white sucker. Nice size one, igfa record is 11 lbs 7 oz but I believe they can be even bigger then that(most people probably don't even think about sucker records lol).

Og Dumi
05-19-2015, 01:22 AM
Wow nice fish Rav! Didn't know Steelhead was on the list :( Good Rainbow!

FreshAirGetter
05-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Wow nice fish Rav! Didn't know Steelhead was on the list :( Good Rainbow!

Yeah, I thought this was just Alberta, not BC? ;-)

Og Dumi
05-19-2015, 05:49 PM
Lol

FreshAirGetter
05-22-2015, 08:48 AM
That 19" Goldeye I caught last night was sweet! It jumped and pulled line, and for a second I thought it was a mini-sturgeon. I pulled it out of the water (despite its attempts to get loose near shore) and was astonished...it was a full pound bigger than the usual ones I catch! (was 2 lbs 8 oz). I've already caught quite a few personal bests this year (even though I only have 1 other year to compare...lol) so I'm happy...2015 is a good year!

OG - by the way, you say you might be gone for longer than a month now? When are you back? This might be our first and final derby we participate...and I don't want you to say it was unfair if we all beat you...lol...good thing before you left you posted up a storm!

Og Dumi
05-22-2015, 08:46 PM
That 19" Goldeye I caught last night was sweet! It jumped and pulled line, and for a second I thought it was a mini-sturgeon. I pulled it out of the water (despite its attempts to get loose near shore) and was astonished...it was a full pound bigger than the usual ones I catch! (was 2 lbs 8 oz). I've already caught quite a few personal bests this year (even though I only have 1 other year to compare...lol) so I'm happy...2015 is a good year!

OG - by the way, you say you might be gone for longer than a month now? When are you back? This might be our first and final derby we participate...and I don't want you to say it was unfair if we all beat you...lol...good thing before you left you posted up a storm!

Yeah might be awhile for sure now :( not sure how long. Well even if I miss out we are defiantly doing hard water this season and that I know I will school you at ;) maybe... Most likely not though ...

FreshAirGetter
05-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Well boys, it's been fun and competitive but for some reason most of my friends and family hate me now because of the derby, so I gotta drop out...I won't be posting anymore. Good luck to all contestants, hopefully somebody sticks it out and keeps Rav on his toes :-)

Rikkles Fisher
05-23-2015, 11:02 PM
Well boys, it's been fun and competitive but for some reason most of my friends and family hate me now because of the derby, so I gotta drop out...I won't be posting anymore. Good luck to all contestants, hopefully somebody sticks it out and keeps Rav on his toes :-)
Keep atter your doing good! You still coming fishing tomorrow?

Og Dumi
05-24-2015, 01:32 AM

Yeah keep going that's silly pal..

harmagedon
05-24-2015, 06:39 AM
Weldon Rav.. Good luck to the competitors

viggopartaco
05-26-2015, 10:53 AM
I will be leaving open water derby effective right now - thanks for all your time and effort RAV. Good luck to all involved ... almost.

FreshAirGetter - don't make people think that your being hard done by - the choice is yours and no one else can make it except you. You have our numbers !

FreshAirGetter
05-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I change my mind...back in the derby! My mind was focused on the remaining species, and without the derby I'm lost and have no enthusiasm...so back in I go. Sucks I caught a Brookie last weekend and can't count it, but there's still time. So Rav, get back into your high competition mode and keep catching your lunkers...if anything, at least you might be pushed into more personal bests :-)

It was kind of nice not lugging around the barrier and token...oh well, what can I do but dig it out of the garbage and keep everyone on their toes :fighting0074:

FreshAirGetter
05-29-2015, 10:01 AM
Geez SKsniper, your rocky is so fat!

SKSniper
05-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Geez SKsniper, your rocky is so fat!

Second best fight of the year! Not going to lie, I thought I had a baby sturgeon the way that thing was pulling. Never imagined a 17" fish could pull drag on my river reel!

FreshAirGetter
05-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Second best fight of the year! Not going to lie, I thought I had a baby sturgeon the way that thing was pulling. Never imagined a 17" fish could pull drag on my river reel!

Haha that's hilarious...I felt that way with my burbot and maybe even goldeye too. It's funny when you fish the river, you always have Sturgeon on your mind.

I bet when you saw it you probably thought "Is that really a rocky? That big?" I've been surprised like that a couple times this year (with my rocky and goldeye)...so all in all a good 2015 already :-)

SKSniper
05-29-2015, 11:03 AM
Haha that's hilarious...I felt that way with my burbot and maybe even goldeye too. It's funny when you fish the river, you always have Sturgeon on your mind.
I bet when you saw it you probably thought "Is that really a rocky? That big?" I've been surprised like that a couple times this year (with my rocky and goldeye)...so all in all a good 2015 already :-)

And every fish that jumps "was a sturgeon.....I'm pretty sure" :D

I thought it was a sucker when I first saw the girth and the bottom feeder type mouth. My jaw dropped a few inches when I realized what it really was!

FreshAirGetter
05-29-2015, 11:09 AM
And every fish that jumps "was a sturgeon.....I'm pretty sure" :D

I thought it was a sucker when I first saw the girth and the bottom feeder type mouth. My jaw dropped a few inches when I realized what it really was!

Haha I know the feeling!

Not sure how to get some of my remaining species. I've caught some of them in the winter but not summer. Also weird that I haven't caught a Mooneye yet...last year I caught more Mooneye than Goldeye...this year I haven't even seen a Mooneye. Maybe your fat rocky ate them all? :thinking-006:

SKSniper
05-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Haha I know the feeling!

Not sure how to get some of my remaining species. I've caught some of them in the winter but not summer. Also weird that I haven't caught a Mooneye yet...last year I caught more Mooneye than Goldeye...this year I haven't even seen a Mooneye. Maybe your fat rocky ate them all? :thinking-006:

All I need is a Mooneye and Sauger then I've got them all! Never had my token with me when I got a 32" pike, and my walleye have all been too small to bother using in the contest. The Burbot I caught before the derby was open. The Burbs don't seem very abundant in the NSR, unless they only feed at night :confused:

FreshAirGetter
05-29-2015, 11:52 AM
All I need is a Mooneye and Sauger then I've got them all! Never had my token with me when I got a 32" pike, and my walleye have all been too small to bother using in the contest. The Burbot I caught before the derby was open. The Burbs don't seem very abundant in the NSR, unless they only feed at night :confused:

lol you sound like me..I actually want to catch all the species, but I just catch them from Jan 1 - Dec 31st. Now with the derby I have to re-catch a bunch. Yeah I've only caught 2 burbot in the NSR, both this year though. I thought my 4 lbs walleye was nice but apparently it's one of the smallest compared to everyone else. Haven't went for pike yet (only ones I caught were jigging for walleye one day)...maybe I'll go to Wab soon. I'll have to go find a perch too. I don't have a clue where to get Cutties this time of year, and not much of a better idea after June or July either...lol. This derby is great for learning each species and travelling Alberta, that's for sure!

Rikkles Fisher
06-05-2015, 12:03 PM
So Ravyak question for you, what does it count as if one of us catch a cutbow? lol I vote it counts as a cutthroat

FreshAirGetter
06-08-2015, 11:13 AM
So Ravyak question for you, what does it count as if one of us catch a cutbow? lol I vote it counts as a cutthroat

I think we should just say if it has a slash it's a cutt, and if it doesn't it's a bow...what do you say oh great wise judge? ;-)

RavYak
06-08-2015, 12:02 PM
Ricky, send me a pic.

Oh and gps coordinates where it was caught so I can make sure there are cutties in there ;).

Rikkles Fisher
06-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Haven't caught one yet just speaking hypothetically lol thought it was a valid question. I do know where I'm going for one though! My bro showed me a place he got one.

FreshAirGetter
06-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Haven't caught one yet just speaking hypothetically lol thought it was a valid question. I do know where I'm going for one though! My bro showed me a place he got one.

Am I your bro? If so, am I coming too? Hopefully if it's my bro he's not trading our family secrets without me...lol

Rikkles Fisher
06-08-2015, 02:52 PM
Am I your bro? If so, am I coming too? Hopefully if it's my bro he's not trading our family secrets without me...lol

Hahaha no its my blood bro the one I can thank for getting me hooked into fishing. You ever caught one before?

FreshAirGetter
06-08-2015, 04:24 PM
Hahaha no its my blood bro the one I can thank for getting me hooked into fishing. You ever caught one before?

Oh don't worry about me :-)

Still up for debate, but yeah, I think so...I think you saw the pic at one point? Or maybe my brother just told you about it...wasn't that long, but was fat! Didn't measure it so I could get it back in the water...but wish I did!

Rikkles Fisher
06-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Oh don't worry about me :-)

Still up for debate, but yeah, I think so...I think you saw the pic at one point? Or maybe my brother just told you about it...wasn't that long, but was fat! Didn't measure it so I could get it back in the water...but wish I did!
Post a pic up here☺

Rikkles Fisher
06-09-2015, 08:56 PM
My 12 inch rocky must have snuck in there as you were doing the update, I'm at 159 lol woot woot!

FreshAirGetter
06-10-2015, 09:19 AM
My 12 inch rocky must have snuck in there as you were doing the update, I'm at 159 lol woot woot!

159.25 according to my calculations ;-) But I screwed up on my own spreadsheet, I thought Hacman caught a rocky, not a lake white...guess I'd make a bad derby judge...lol.

Oh and Ricky it's in my signature (the pics)...there's a short fat "cutty", or at least has a slash on it (I had previously called it a cutbow and don't know the difference). It's the short fat fish with a big mouth...

Sounds like you're getting Chris hooked onto stream fishing...next time you're out with him see if you can get his secret to getting Walleye at Battle for me :-)

FreshAirGetter
06-10-2015, 09:21 AM
Here Ricky...I'll make it easier for you :-)

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag433/variot/IMG_1347_zpsf6da3ebb.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/variot/media/IMG_1347_zpsf6da3ebb.jpg.html)

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag433/variot/IMG_1346_zpsfda84c45.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/variot/media/IMG_1346_zpsfda84c45.jpg.html)

Rikkles Fisher
06-10-2015, 11:58 AM
159.25 according to my calculations ;-) But I screwed up on my own spreadsheet, I thought Hacman caught a rocky, not a lake white...guess I'd make a bad derby judge...lol.

Oh and Ricky it's in my signature (the pics)...there's a short fat "cutty", or at least has a slash on it (I had previously called it a cutbow and don't know the difference). It's the short fat fish with a big mouth...

Sounds like you're getting Chris hooked onto stream fishing...next time you're out with him see if you can get his secret to getting Walleye at Battle for me :-)
I'm gonna guess that is just a cutty, and yeah it was a good time I think I got him hooked on the streams lol he almost had his first brown too but they were picky.

hacman
06-10-2015, 02:06 PM
That is nice, thick cutthroat!

Here is a cutbow from the Oldman R. caught this spring for comparison, mostly rainbow characteristics other than the orange slash.
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/hacmann/2015%20Open%20Water/7F0E4A35-4ED9-48E6-B667-F8AA3CF386FB.jpg

And then this one from the Castle R. caught last year that is more cutthroat.
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/hacmann/2014%20Open%20Water/Castle%20Cutt%203%20Jul19-2014.jpg

Regardless, looking at your catch totals, it doesn't look like you guys will have any issues catching a cutty, no need to measure in a cutbow (unless it's a monster of course). Good luck with your search. :)

FreshAirGetter
06-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Thanks Hacman...since you mentioned it, I'll tell you I got that one from the Castle as well.

I'm ashamed to say I don't really see the differences between those two pics of yours...I obviously have to do a bit of research! If there's any blatant things I should be noticing let me know, otherwise I might have to borrow my brother's million and one species book :scared0015:

FreshAirGetter
06-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Just looking quick, it seems the biggest difference is that Rainbows tend to have black spots above and below their lateral line, and Cutties are typically only above. Well, the slash is probably the biggest difference, but that's another one.

I'm looking at pics of different guaranteed rainbows I've caught, and I see a mix...the smaller ones don't seem to really have spots on the bottom, but the bigger ones have tons...I don't get it...lol...darn fishing!

Rikkles Fisher
06-10-2015, 02:41 PM
That is nice, thick cutthroat!

Here is a cutbow from the Oldman R. caught this spring for comparison, mostly rainbow characteristics other than the orange slash.
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/hacmann/2015%20Open%20Water/7F0E4A35-4ED9-48E6-B667-F8AA3CF386FB.jpg

And then this one from the Castle R. caught last year that is more cutthroat.
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa408/hacmann/2014%20Open%20Water/Castle%20Cutt%203%20Jul19-2014.jpg

Regardless, looking at your catch totals, it doesn't look like you guys will have any issues catching a cutty, no need to measure in a cutbow (unless it's a monster of course). Good luck with your search. :)

Thanks! I haven't caught a cutbow yet but I haven't spent the time in the area yet either. That's some great pictures for example, can easily tell which one is half rainbow!

RavYak
06-10-2015, 09:11 PM
If you catch something you are sure is a cutbow I guess submit it as what it appears to closest represent. If it looks like a rainbow like Hacmans above but has a tiny slash count it as a rainbow(since some rainbows can even have slash). If it looks like a cutty but you think it might be a cutbow then submit as a cutty, if it shows the characteristics I can't really deny it as an entry.

Better yet just don't catch any cutbows, it makes my life easier lol.

FreshAirGetter
06-11-2015, 09:12 AM
Don't mock your entry Ninja, that's the 2nd biggest one in the derby! ;-)

Nice walleye Mitch...geez, everyone's a genius at catching big walleye. That's one fish I obviously have to learn better...ah who am I kidding, I have to learn them all :thinking-006:

Mitchthefisher
06-11-2015, 09:57 AM
Don't mock your entry Ninja, that's the 2nd biggest one in the derby! ;-)

Nice walleye Mitch...geez, everyone's a genius at catching big walleye. That's one fish I obviously have to learn better...ah who am I kidding, I have to learn them all :thinking-006:

Thanks man! Find a nice deep back eddie on the north sask and you will catch them!

PlatinumBarMan
06-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Question: If I'm trolling around in the boat and let one of my kids hold my rod while trolling for a bit (and I just have one rod in the water) is that cool to count in the derby?

RavYak
06-20-2015, 11:27 PM
Question: If I'm trolling around in the boat and let one of my kids hold my rod while trolling for a bit (and I just have one rod in the water) is that cool to count in the derby?

No you cant use other peoples fish even if it is your rod. You have to catch the fish in order to count it.

PlatinumBarMan
06-21-2015, 07:08 AM
Alright I wasn't sure how that worked for like a 3 year old.. Was thinking if I was trolling for a bit and she wanted to help hold my rod for a couple minutes and we happened to get a bite then it would still count (I would be reeling it in, she's only 3..). Figured she'd be looked at similar to a rod holder which I know would be ok to count. But thanks for clarifying.

RavYak
06-21-2015, 07:37 PM
If you are the one fishing, casting retrieving etc then can claim it. If your kid is reeling it in etc then hard to claim it as your fish. Pretty sure you will know if it is your fish or not.

PlatinumBarMan
06-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Ok sounds good man

FreshAirGetter
06-22-2015, 09:30 AM
Wow, nice weekend for Hacman. Not sure when I'll get out next, but at the rate Hacman's catching species, hopefully it's soon! Nicely done Hac!

FreshAirGetter
06-26-2015, 09:10 AM
I wish you guys would start working like me...Ricky and Platinum, I see you snook out yesterday and caught lakers....must be nice!

Not that I want Ricky to gain any more inches (he's getting too close) according to my spreadsheet he actually has 191 inches...it's possible I miscalculated or wrecked my spreadsheet while changing formulas and formatting cells, so maybe Ricky you should verify and then let Rav know if there's a change. Rav potentially missed one of your million upgrades (probably your Rainbow update to add .75") or maybe it's my bad...

You guys are lucky, doesn't look like I'll have a chance to derby post for awhile yet, but for sure by the end of July I'm hoping to get another 1-4 species...something tells me Rav will take advantage of the fact, Platinum will continue to sneak out, and Ricky will keep hurtling upgrades at us ;-)

Rikkles Fisher
06-26-2015, 11:00 AM
I wish you guys would start working like me...Ricky and Platinum, I see you snook out yesterday and caught lakers....must be nice!

Not that I want Ricky to gain any more inches (he's getting too close) according to my spreadsheet he actually has 191 inches...it's possible I miscalculated or wrecked my spreadsheet while changing formulas and formatting cells, so maybe Ricky you should verify and then let Rav know if there's a change. Rav potentially missed one of your million upgrades (probably your Rainbow update to add .75") or maybe it's my bad...

You guys are lucky, doesn't look like I'll have a chance to derby post for awhile yet, but for sure by the end of July I'm hoping to get another 1-4 species...something tells me Rav will take advantage of the fact, Platinum will continue to sneak out, and Ricky will keep hurtling upgrades at us ;-)

I added it up and he is spot on! But thanks for ring honest buddy! Lol ohhhh yeah cutties next week!

FreshAirGetter
06-26-2015, 11:23 AM
I added it up and he is spot on! But thanks for ring honest buddy! Lol ohhhh yeah cutties next week!

Remind me to find you a wife to tie you down, a job to keep you close to home, and some extra shackles just in case you still manage to sneak away ;-)
Maybe also 5 kids, 3 dogs, and volunteering 3 times a week...that should do the trick! :)

FreshAirGetter
06-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Remind me to find you a wife to tie you down, a job to keep you close to home, and some extra shackles just in case you still manage to sneak away ;-)
Maybe also 5 kids, 3 dogs, and volunteering 3 times a week...that should do the trick! :)

Then do the same for Rav :-)

Rikkles Fisher
06-26-2015, 11:27 AM

Ugh no thanks lol

Rikkles Fisher
06-26-2015, 04:33 PM
108793 Did you guys knows they used to stock kokanee in Phyllis lake I'm gonna catch the monster lol and I just figured out how to upload pics I think!!!

RavYak
06-26-2015, 04:36 PM
Uploading pics is easy Ricky ;).

Step 1: Create photobucket account
Step 2: Upload photo to photobucket
Step 3: Paste photo link in image tags

Way better quality then attaching it via AO.

Rikkles Fisher
06-26-2015, 04:39 PM
I just downloaded tapatalk and now can upload lol

PlatinumBarMan
06-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Yeah tapatalk so much easier and quicker for anyone with a smart phone. Just take a pic and post it 2 seconds later full size

Hydro1
06-26-2015, 10:03 PM
Spent a little over an hour looking for a spot to fish.
My favorite spot was occupied by a bunch of people drinking beer and smoking pot.
Went downstream a quarter mile. So shallow the dog and i walked out to the middle and cast from there. Not even a nibble.
I think i need a fly rod.
I even remembered my paper token today! :angry3:

FreshAirGetter
06-29-2015, 10:06 AM
I used tapatalk for my cutty and it shows up small...won't use it again, plus had problems..maybe I'm too old for technology?

Hydro1
06-30-2015, 10:15 PM
Went out to a really great spot on the rdr today.
Forgot my token, tape, and tarp for the fish to lay on...:angry3:
I have been painting my own jigs lately, tried some out for the first time.
Second cast of the day. After this one, hooked 3 more, none made it to shore though.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag227/Aucado/20150630_205700_1_zps1b929313.jpg (http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/Aucado/media/20150630_205700_1_zps1b929313.jpg.html)

FreshAirGetter
07-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Nice one Hydro!

Nice mooneye Dago...I should have caught 5 Mooneye by now, but for some reason ever since a beaver broke my custom pickerel rig and I put a new one on, I'm having troubles catching fish in the river. I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong...

FreshAirGetter
07-09-2015, 09:14 AM
I've been at a bit of a standstill...my remaining species for the derby are a bit of a pain to get! I also hate giving up my precious trout time for a darn perch or whitefish or sauger...but what can you do...lol.

I see my brother is right behind you Rav, but don't worry, he's going to Mexico, so no need for immediate action ;-)

Ricky's bound to get back to work so should hopefully stop seeing his daily posts soon..haha

Dale S
07-14-2015, 07:12 PM
I think we should suspend the derby while there is a warm water advisory out. I will not be entering any more while the advisory is in place.

FreshAirGetter
07-15-2015, 09:19 AM
I think we should suspend the derby while there is a warm water advisory out. I will not be entering any more while the advisory is in place.

I agree with Dago; in fact, in these perilous times of warm water advisories and such low water, I feel it would be our duty to suspend it for the remaining year. With that in mind Rav, could you please add up the totals and see who won? ;-)

RavYak
07-15-2015, 12:21 PM
It is just an advisory, the derby will proceed as there are still many bodies of water that are fine to fish be it lakes and ponds or streams to the north or west.

If you are worried about this then I recommend following SRD's advice and carry a thermometer and be very careful with fish if the water temp is over 22 degrees. Choose deeper colder bodies of water to fish now, there is still lots of time later in the year to fish other areas once they have cooled down a bit.

PlatinumBarMan
07-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Mass trip to Cold Lake!

FreshAirGetter
07-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Mass trip to Cold Lake!

Cold Lake is a little tricky to fish without downriggers...maybe Wab or somewhere a little more local and easy would be better? How's Mexico bro?

FreshAirGetter
07-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Hahaha I just found a funny post...Chris Costa posted for Ricky, but he accidentally posted it in the thread for people wanting a fishing partner/ride...lmao. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

chriscosta
07-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Haha i know whoops that was after an awfully long day lol

Rikkles Fisher
07-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Lol too funny! I have to much of an addiction to cutthroat right now to care about the derby lol

FreshAirGetter
07-16-2015, 11:44 AM
haha Chris

I know Ricky, I love them. Why, what are you doing now, not fishing are you? Can you please start work soon? ;-)

PlatinumBarMan
07-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Mexico is awesome going by way too quick though!

FreshAirGetter
07-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Plat, how nice of you to text me at 5 this morning saying you're going fishing...lol..I'm sure I'll be asleep tonight by 6, sorry Rav! Plat, better at least post some cool tropical fish for our viewing pleasure!

PlatinumBarMan
07-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Didn't work out so good.. Ended up paying $180 USD to fish and had to come back after 1/2 hr because I was sea sick :( argh

Rikkles Fisher
07-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Didn't work out so good.. Ended up paying $180 USD to fish and had to come back after 1/2 hr because I was sea sick :( argh

Bahahaha best fishing story ever lol

FreshAirGetter
07-27-2015, 10:38 PM
It'd be nice to hear the reigning champ have a similar story..just one time! ;-)

FreshAirGetter
08-06-2015, 10:14 AM
Nice cutt and beauty rainbow Hacman...that's huge, at least for us mortal fishermen...for Rav, I guess that might be a little tiny ;-)

FreshAirGetter
08-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Wow...lund came crashing out the gate and with one giant post raced past 5 derby entrants!

Nice mooneye Mitch...although I'd like to test that one for steroids ;-)

Rav, don't you ever take a break?

PlatinumBarMan
09-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Hacman is on a roll lately nice work man only one more species to go!

hacman
09-09-2015, 01:12 PM
I'll give it a shot but it will be tough, unfortunately there's not a lot of laker options around here and without a boat makes it tougher. Oh well, I've done pretty well sticking to shore and haven't needed to venture too far north of HWY 3. Some great fish caught by everyone this year, it's been fun!

FreshAirGetter
09-09-2015, 02:28 PM
I'll give it a shot but it will be tough, unfortunately there's not a lot of laker options around here and without a boat makes it tougher. Oh well, I've done pretty well sticking to shore and haven't needed to venture too far north of HWY 3. Some great fish caught by everyone this year, it's been fun!

I'm jealous! The south seems a little more conducive for all the species, as compared to us northerners...I can guarantee anyone else in the top 5 has done more driving than you then, and have still caught less species...way to keep things interesting Hacman, and congrats on your Golden :-)

hacman
09-09-2015, 08:37 PM
Gotta represent the south. Done my share of driving too, fish alone most of the time too so I tend to stick to the beaten path. May try another Golden trip in a couple weeks if the weather cooperates, come on down if you're able.

PlatinumBarMan
09-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Trying to put some pressure on you Rav only 8" lead with a month to go!

Dale S
10-12-2015, 05:20 AM
Nice work Hacman on being the first to catch all 16 fish species in the derby. I know you have caught a sturgeon, how about a grayling to finish off all the sport fish in Alberta.
The wind quit final so it's off to look for that 30+" walleye.

RavYak
10-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Yeah congrats to Hacman for being the first to catch all species and in defending his title for most species.

Part of me really wants to catch a Burbot to round out my species but the other part of me is sick of trying to catch a burbot lol.

hacman
10-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks Dago, no grayling yet, got 5 days off next weekend so will try and get one then. Good luck on the 30" walleye, i plan to spend a couple days on the river too.

Thanks Rav, you may still get that burb yet. You're too far ahead for me to catch though. It's been a fun year!

RavYak
10-12-2015, 09:48 PM
Thanks Rav, you may still get that burb yet. You're too far ahead for me to catch though. It's been a fun year!

Only if I can bring myself to try for one again lol. Should have went last weekend or this Saturday but I couldn't get motivated...

PlatinumBarMan
11-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Congrats Rav you're the ultimate Alberta angler of 2015! Runner up for me was quite an accomplishment, special thanks to my wife and kids for being so supportive. Had a lot of fun this summer and ended up with a few firsts for me like catching whitefish and burbot in summer... the one species you didn't land and you happened to be with me when I got mine :). Only species I didn't get this summer was golden trout even though I did hike the mountain that was one of those days just couldn't land one. Also ended up with several personal bests this summer and met a lot of great people along the way. Now looking forward to getting on the hard water!

CanadianBadass
11-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Awesome Season to all the guys who had entered. I personally will be kicking all your ass's in winter, So get ready ;)

Again a huge thanks to Ravyak and anybody else who got involved organizing this !

hacman
11-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Lots of nice fish caught again this year by everybody, it was fun to compete with you all. Some firsts and PBs for me this year, also tried a bunch of new waters that are now on my list to fish next year.

Congrats on the repeat victory Rav, thanks for the work you put into keeping things up to date. I would bet that on your next trip out you'll end up getting that burbot. Cheers!

Rikkles Fisher
11-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Congrats Rav you're the ultimate Alberta angler of 2015! Runner up for me was quite an accomplishment, special thanks to my wife and kids for being so supportive. Had a lot of fun this summer and ended up with a few firsts for me like catching whitefish and burbot in summer... the one species you didn't land and you happened to be with me when I got mine :). Only species I didn't get this summer was golden trout even though I did hike the mountain that was one of those days just couldn't land one. Also ended up with several personal bests this summer and met a lot of great people along the way. Now looking forward to getting on the hard water!
Don't forget lake trout on open water😊

Rikkles Fisher
11-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Thanks for organizing this Tyler! Hope you continue it this winter!

Og Dumi
11-02-2015, 05:16 PM
Good fun, thanks everyone who had a hand in organizing and those who competed. Wish I would of been able to keep going as hard as I started.

Hard water ;)

PlatinumBarMan
11-03-2015, 02:45 PM
Don't forget lake trout on open water😊

Oh yes of course!

And my first ever sauger to complete my quest for all Alberta sport species!

Mitchthefisher
11-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Thanks for organizing the derby Tyler!
Wooo biggest mooneye! Lol