PDA

View Full Version : SLAVE LAKE - you got to see this!!

CanadianZ71
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
This was Friday nite around 11pm when this truck went thru. The day before, not to far from this area another truck with a trailer dipped its ass end in but got pulled out, luckily. We didn't notice ths happen Friday nite when we came off the lake at night around midnight. This is straight out from Joussard on Slave Lake. We went out on sleds and a truck as well, but where this happened there was a crack over the width of your hand and I guess it just wasn't stable ice. We fished there all day and the ice was 12" but there were quite a few trucks going back and forth from the shore to the little shack village. When we went back this afternoon to get our gear we left in the shack, we stumbled on this. The biggest load that day I seen was a Super jacked up Ford deisel hauling a tandem axle trailer with a mini house as an ice shack, looked nice but you got to have a big set of nuts to go over a mile out from shore after when told there are signs of poor ice stregth.

xtabo.media
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM
wow.
thats going to be an expensive retrieval bill!

gramps73
01-03-2009, 10:28 PM
be tough to get insurance for something like that
make you want to go :huh:

Shmag
01-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Yep, some people just don't get it :rolleye2:

There was another one that broke through by assineau bay on slave a few days ago as well. In 10ft of water, so i am not sure if any of that one is sticking out of the water or totally covered.

Penner
01-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Ouch, that's about $100k gone to the bottom. He drove a Ford so he couldn't be all that smart to begin with. :lol: I wonder if insurance would ever cover such a thing?

My rule is 18" plus before I drive any vehicle on any lake. I do not want to hear ice cracking while I'm driving on it. 18" of thickness seems to be the turning point for a 1/2 ton pick-up. On Slave you must have even more respect for. That's one big lake and the wind can move the ice around very easily. Not to mention lake currents. One can never be too cautious.

Divert
01-04-2009, 10:41 AM
The guy who owned the truck is a cousin of my partner at work, Ya might not have been the smartest thing in the world but now it looks like he might loose the use of his hands all together from frost bite. After he went through he was able to get out fine but his wife was still in the passenger seat. He had to jump back in to get her out. But once out it got worse, no one in sight. They had to walk for a long while to get to the closest cabin on shore, apparently when they got there his hands were frozen stiff, I guess he went to the UOFA burn unit yesterday to see if he would ever be able to use his hands again. So it would be nice if the insults were held back, ya the guy maybe wasnt the smartest but with my job (Paramedic) I see that pretty much EVERYONE has a bad idea a few times in there life. Just a good thing that most live through it. And FYI he wasn't driving at a high rate of speed at all.

bobalong
01-04-2009, 11:00 AM
The guy who owned the truck is a cousin of my partner at work, Ya might not have been the smartest thing in the world but now it looks like he might loose the use of his hands all together from frost bite. After he went through he was able to get out fine but his wife was still in the passenger seat. He had to jump back in to get her out. But once out it got worse, no one in sight. They had to walk for a long while to get to the closest cabin on shore, apparently when they got there his hands were frozen stiff, I guess he went to the UOFA burn unit yesterday to see if he would ever be able to use his hands again. So it would be nice if the insults were held back, ya the guy maybe wasnt the smartest but with my job (Paramedic) I see that pretty much EVERYONE has a bad idea a few times in there life. Just a good thing that most live through it. And FYI he wasn't driving at a high rate of speed at all.

Unfortunately there are always members on here that love to dwell on the negative, and seem to enjoy it when other fellow outdoorsman have grief, never really understood it. There could have been 3 ft of ice and the guy hit a gas pocket, it wouldn't matter there are always that few that still find it necessay to kick a guy when he's down.

troller
01-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Unfortunately there are always members on here that love to dwell on the negative, and seem to enjoy it when other fellow outdoorsman have grief, never really understood it. There could have been 3 ft of ice and the guy hit a gas pocket, it wouldn't matter there are always that few that still find it necessay to kick a guy when he's down.

++++

Hope your friend and his wife make a full recovery Divert!!! Made my heart sink reading the story. All I could imagine is me being in that postion with my wife....my whole world....still stuck in the truck. Is it still funny BBJ?

packhuntr
01-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Looks like a wreck all right. Folks have been dying for a long long time when around ice, (thousands of years),, its serious stuff. Thankfully the ones laughing arent much for fishermen, or they would probuably wind up in trouble themselves.... Easier to pretend they are avid than prove it, hint hint, to the one who spouts off about being a top notch fisherman, yet all weve seen are pictures off a cell phone of afew little pike and a guided catfish:lol:. Anyone who has spent their lives enjoying the outdoors can GUARANTEED tell afew stories of their own...

buckmaster
01-04-2009, 01:01 PM

x2, thanks bobalong!

bobalong
01-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Looks like a wreck all right. Folks have been dying for a long long time when around ice, (thousands of years),, its serious stuff. Thankfully the ones laughing arent much for fishermen, or they would probuably wind up in trouble themselves.... Easier to pretend they are avid than prove it, hint hint, to the one who spouts off about being a top notch fisherman, yet all weve seen are pictures off a cell phone of afew little pike and a guided catfish:lol:. Anyone who has spent their lives enjoying the outdoors can GUARANTEED tell afew stories of their own...

Sort of reminds you of the old saying....Don`t sing it, Bring it......doesn`t it.

pecker
01-04-2009, 02:01 PM
x2, thanks bobalong!

x3 . hope all goes well with the guys hands . great job at saving his wife .

Gord
01-04-2009, 02:45 PM
When I saw those pics my heart sank and after hearing about the fellow involved, I feel even worse. To all you people who feel it is okay to comment about how stupid this person is, get a brain. This is someone's son, daughter, wife, husband, dad, mother etc. BBJ, you should be ashamed of yourself, did a lot of people cheer when you fell down awhile back? Did anyone ridicule you because you can't walk on ice?

**** happens and it sometimes happens even when the proper safety precautions are taken. Don't revel in others people's misfortune because karma can be a bitch.

Gord

rugatika
01-04-2009, 03:08 PM
ice is a dangerous thing to read and no matter how experienced you are you can never be so safe as to be 100% safe. Hope everything turns out good for him and his wife.

Best wishes for a speedy and 100% recovery.

Rug

thorne
01-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Once again it takes some guys, and in this case his wife, to remind us of a few things that we all should be doing, but sometimes get lazy and complacient( sp??) about. Know your total Veh. load weight. KNow the body of water you are on. Know the Ice thickness, conditions, and type, know what is required for your veh, then add a f*** factor.

http://ice-glaces.ec.gc.ca/App/WsvPageDsp.cfm?ID=10167&Lang=eng

Here is a link to a simple Ice load chart, there are more specific ones available. I spent 16 years in the military and I have done a few Ice Recce jobs. I have seen alot of guys get hurt or worse because ya, it's cold, and ya its a pain in the ass to do the reasearch and of course getting out every little bit to auger a hole and do a physical check, and ya I am guilty of it to, but I bet this guy won't think so in the future and neither should we. At least him and his wife did alot better then the poor guy clearing ice for his kids in a Bobcat. Best of luck to the guy and his wife, trust me my heart goes out to you!!

Big.Bear
01-04-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't believe BBJ meant any cruel intent to make a joke out of it. Before Divert posted what the whole story was everyone just thought the guy lost his vehicle. Then we found out about the wife and the man's hands being frost bitten. I don't think its a laughing matter anymore once I found out someone was injured and I'm sure BBJ feels the same.

redneck posse
01-04-2009, 03:36 PM
i wasn't going to post on this but. although i'm glad the guy and his wife are okay, why would anyone drive a half ton truck or bigger on the ice right now anyway.. with out checking ice thickness ??? every one seems to forget that november was above average temps, and most if not all the big lakes where still some what open untill we got the cold snap. again while i'm glad everyone is alive. seems to me his truck is right about where it should be. hope he counts this as a lesson learned. i know i did

calbeau
01-04-2009, 04:03 PM
give the guy a break.he was driving on 18" of ice and following the tracks of other people that had already driven out there(from the story i was told)any one of us probably would have driven in the exact same tracks on any given chance.hope the guy makes a 100% recovery and i feel terrible for him.not sure why everyone always has to be critics.

Jamie
01-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Just remember guys 7 of the first 9 post were negative. This isnt all on BBJ.

It just goes to show that everyone will jump to conclusions every now and then.

I am VERY sure if BBJ and the others had known the whole story this wouldnt have been a issue.

Best of luck to the unfortunate Outdoorsmen.
Be carefull on that ice everyone.

Jamie

slingshot
01-04-2009, 04:45 PM
So where are your feeding frienses comments now?

Marlin07
01-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I drove on the ice today, i may have been lucky I guess. I feel bad for the guy and his wife. i had a buddy hit a gas pocket a few years ago and went through when there was 3 feet of ice. It can happen at any time. Laughing about it only makes me sour to say the least, I guess some people have nothing better to do.....

JohninAB
01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Sorry to read of this incident. Hopefully everything turns out okay for those involved.

Walleyes
01-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Sure hope the fellow outdoorsman is allright,, sucks to see people get it when they are just out there doing what we all enjoy.. My best to him..

2 Tollers
01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Divert sure hope your buddy comes out ok. That would have been quite an ordeal with getting his wife out and then a long cold walk. Slave is a tricky lake even with thick ice due to the gas pockets.

Pass on all the best.

CanadianZ71
01-04-2009, 06:44 PM
The post was not intended to start any troubles amongst everyone, I posted it because, for all I know it could have happened to my group and many others that use Slave Lake as a great get-a-way for ice fishing. I got my info. from Bernie whom we rented a shack from at LadyHawk and he was the guy conducting the traffic making sure all were aware of what the conditions are. My hat goes off to Bernie for taking the time to inform us personally, and for Victor the other guy with a 3 ft. wide track vehicle who plows the rode for us ice anglers.

Let's be safe out there this season. I have fished 4 different lakes thus far and they all seemed to have great ice, and ask my buddies, I told them the ice is good this year, well what a wake up call. Better safe then...not safe.

My wishes for a speedy recovery and hope all is well for future trip to Joussard.

SNAPFisher
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Just remember guys 7 of the first 9 post were negative. This isnt all on BBJ.

It just goes to show that everyone will jump to conclusions every now and then.

I am VERY sure if BBJ and the others had known the whole story this wouldnt have been a issue.

Jamie

Sorry Jamie, I know what your saying but "think before you type" comes to mind. I've typed some stupid, stupid things on these boards. One thing I know I'll never knock on though is a laugh at someones else's grief. Un-freakin-believable!! That kind of behavior and thinking is totally unacceptable and there is no excuse.

The best of wishes to those that this happened to. I feel for them.

Wolverine Boy
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM
I've done lots of ice-fishing but I have never heard of 'gas pockets'.

The only real dangers I was aware of on ice were driving on ice that isn't thick enough, driving near weed beds as the weeds can transmit heat through the ice and keep it thin (I found that out the hard way with a quad) and driving too fast and building up a 'pressure wave' which will bust the ice near shore.

Can someone tell me exactly what these gas pockets are, how they are formed and how they can cause you to go through thick ice?

Thanx.

Bassett
01-04-2009, 08:30 PM
Yes we all agree, pretty stupid to be driving that big load on poor ice conditions. Before we all make fun of the guy/gal is he/she ok???:huh:

Bass...

bbell
01-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Wolverine;
Gas pockets are caused by natural gas seeping out of the lake bottom. The constant bubbling of gas bubbles causes open holes or thin ice. The action is similar to current in rivers. Unfortunately the air pockets will move from year to year. So you can't even gsp them as next year they may move.

Slave Lake is by far the worst lake I have seen for air pockets. Especially Faust Bay, but I have seen them off Joussard, Shaws Point and Spruce Point. I have seen them also on Calling Lake and North Wabasca Lake.

Deano
01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
That is absolutely terrible. I hope the best for the people involved.
I know some people watch car racing just to see wrecks. Seems like other people feel the same way about ice fishing.

Deano

Shmag
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Just re-read this post from yesterday and i would like to MAN UP and apologize for my post "Some people just don't get it" I guess he was doing the right thing by following tracks. But the bottom line is people just don't get it. I have lived in Slave since 92 and EVERY YEAR there is trucks going down on Slave or Utikima since i have lived here. The fact of the matter is next year will be no different...why? Because people "just don't get it" Maybe since i have lived in Slave and seen and heard enough of these situations that it is tattooed in my brain. I usually sled or quad on these lakes well into the new year.

In no way shape or form was i laughing at these people's miss fortune, just trying to make people aware of the dangers and don't take anything for granted. It does look like a pretty heavy vehicle for this time of year, but i guess if a person doesn't see the things i have seen on this lake over the years you just don't know. A few days before this happened there was a post for calling and slave lake and i posted that a truck went down in assineau bay on Slave and to be carefull.

To the people that this happened to, i really hope he makes a full recovery and everything turns out for the better.

The Fisherman Guy
01-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Now now gents lets play nice. We would'nt want to turn into a bunch of "those" people who read a little too deeply into what people say. We are all aware of how it can be difficult to deliver tone in writing.

BBJ is right. People who take chances on ice, deserve to deal with the consequences. But we assume that they made it out safe, and learned a valuable lesson if they were breaking the rules.

Stirring things up? you're the pot, and BBJ is the kettle.

Just my two cents.

Penner
01-04-2009, 09:51 PM
The original post of this mishap only relayed a photo and the news of folks whom appear to have ignored warning signs of poor ice and ventured out on a lake which is notorious of having less than ideal ice conditions at the best of times. It’s the same old story with folks continuing to take unnecessary risks traveling on lake ice. Some folks made light of this situation without knowing if the people involved were hurt. I would suggest that most of us would have not commented it the fashion that we did if we knew that people were hurt. In my opinion 98% of the people whom post here mean no harm. I hope the guy and his wife make a full recovery and I’m glad he was able to walk away at the very least.

To be honest if the guy driving this truck walked away from the incident unharmed, I’d say the comments were very deserving. Personally I do not see how joking about a post is being negative? One thing this message board can do away with is all of those little message board police officers whom feel its there duty to monitor whom says what. It’s a public forum, if you want to tell people what to do become a cop or something!!!

As some of you have already noted, if anything can come from this post hopefully it’s a message that you can never be to cautious driving on the ice. Be safe.

Big.Bear
01-04-2009, 10:09 PM
If you know anything about BBJ, or read his posts on here, you'll know that sometimes he is rather outspoken, and 9.5 times out of 10 he's bang on the money. Not neccesarily politically correct, but hey, I have a strong dislike for PC too. I think you may have read into things, he's not a troll like others that have come and gone from this site.

I think what BBJ was getting at was that if some people want to be bold enough to drive too fast, or venture out in poor ice conditions they reap what they sow. In no way would he or anyone else want harm to come to the persons involved. I sure hope they got out safe, and I know BBJ does too, but like the saying says 'you can't fix stupid'.

X2

Deano
01-04-2009, 10:14 PM
If you know anything about BBJ, or read his posts on here, you'll know that sometimes he is rather outspoken, and 9.5 times out of 10 he's bang on the money. Not neccesarily politically correct, but hey, I have a strong dislike for PC too. I think you may have read into things, he's not a troll like others that have come and gone from this site.

I think what BBJ was getting at was that if some people want to be bold enough to drive too fast, or venture out in poor ice conditions they reap what they sow. In no way would he or anyone else want harm to come to the persons involved. I sure hope they got out safe, and I know BBJ does too, but like the saying says 'you can't fix stupid'.

I am far from Pollitically Correct myself. But how can you misinterpret a post that has so many :lol: on it? I know BBJ has a big following on this board and he is intitled to it. But I stand by my earlier statement.

Deano

Albertadiver
01-04-2009, 10:21 PM
I am far from Pollitically Correct myself. But how can you misinterpret a post that has so many :lol: on it? I know BBJ has a big following on this board and he is intitled to it. But I stand by my earlier statement.

Deano

So how many :lol::lol: would be appropriate?

I'll respect your opinion, but I'm not going to agree with it. Kind of an agree to disagree thing.

Deano
01-04-2009, 10:23 PM
So how many :lol::lol: would be appropriate?

I'll respect your opinion, but I'm not going to agree with it. Kind of an agree to disagree thing.

When it comes to someone going through the ice I don't think there should be any :lol:. I also respect your opinion, aswell as others, and agree to disagree.

Deano

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-04-2009, 10:28 PM

BANG ON . EXACTLY WHAT I WAS REFERING TO.

THERES NO REASON WITH 16 PLUS INCHES OF ICE ON A LAKE ANYONE GOING THREW THE ICE , ULESS BEING CARELESS AND NOT BEING SMART.IVE SEEN A FEW SEPERATE OCCURANCES OF PEOPLE GOING THREW , NOT A GOOD THING.I WASNT BASHING THE FACT YOUR FRIENDS OR WHOEVER , THAT WAS NEVER POSTED IN THE INITAL POST. SO I COULD REALLY CARELESS WHAT YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY OR THINK . ITS MY OPINION , AND IM INTITLED TO IT. THE WORLD IS FULL OF PITTY PARTY'S MAYBE ITS TIME MORE FOLKS LIKE ME ''MAN UP '' AND SPEAK THE TRUTH RATHER THEN COATING IT IN SIMPATHY.

I AM GLAD YOUR FRIENDS ARE OK , BUT HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME THEY OR ANYONE ELSE WHO DARES RUNNING THE INDY 500 ACROSS A FROZEN LAKE WILL THINK ABOUT WHAT THERE DOING.And maybe follow the suggestive processes of driving on ice , such as , avoiding cracks , and drill holes every so often.

gulfman
01-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Sorry to read about bad news. Good news is he got his wife out and they are still alive!!
My thoughts are with them for a speedy recovery. DIVERT.... please keep us posted on his recovery, hopefully he will regain full use of his hands and once again be able to live life to the fullest............. Gulf

Big.Bear
01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
BANG ON . EXACTLY WHAT I WAS REFERING TO.

THERES NO REASON WITH 16 PLUS INCHES OF ICE ON A LAKE ANYONE GOING THREW THE ICE , ULESS BEING CARELESS AND NOT BEING SMART.IVE SEEN A FEW SEPERATE OCCURANCES OF PEOPLE GOING THREW , NOT A GOOD THING.I WASNT BASHING THE FACT YOUR FRIENDS OR WHOEVER , THAT WAS NEVER POSTED IN THE INITAL POST. SO I COULD REALLY CARELESS WHAT YOU PEOPLE HAVE TO SAY OR THINK . ITS MY OPINION , AND IM INTITLED TO IT. THE WORLD IS FULL OF PITTY PARTY'S MAYBE ITS TIME MORE FOLKS LIKE ME ''MAN UP '' AND SPEAK THE TRUTH RATHER THEN COATING IT IN SIMPATHY.

I AM GLAD YOUR FRIENDS ARE OK , BUT HOPEFULLY NEXT TIME THEY OR ANYONE ELSE WHO DARES RUNNING THE INDY 500 ACROSS A FROZEN LAKE WILL THINK ABOUT WHAT THERE DOING.And maybe follow the suggestive processes of driving on ice , such as , avoiding cracks , and drill holes every so often.

x2

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/TROUT2087/csp_hydrogen-bomb.jpg

Albertadiver
01-04-2009, 10:42 PM
When it comes to someone going through the ice I don't think there should be any :lol:. I also respect your opinion, aswell as others, and agree to disagree.

Deano

I must admit that I just read Divert's post on Page 1 of this thread, and should have read it earlier. Thank goodness they got out, and I sure hope his hands recover. As gulfman said, I hope Divert keeps us updated on recovery. I've got my ice diving certificate, and I've been under the ice and know how cold that water is. He's lucky to be alive, and a brave man for saving his wife.

So Deano, I can understand your reaction, however BBJ said his comment before we knew what happened to this folks, and in general terms, some hard lessons were learned here. I don't know the circumstances of how this happened, but if they were knowingly taking a risk, they had some bad consequences unfortunately. Sometimes freak accidents happen, maybe this was one of them, but the way I read things so far I'm not sure if that's the case.

Wolverine Boy
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Wolverine;
Gas pockets are caused by natural gas seeping out of the lake bottom. The constant bubbling of gas bubbles causes open holes or thin ice. The action is similar to current in rivers. Unfortunately the air pockets will move from year to year. So you can't even gsp them as next year they may move.

Slave Lake is by far the worst lake I have seen for air pockets. Especially Faust Bay, but I have seen them off Joussard, Shaws Point and Spruce Point. I have seen them also on Calling Lake and North Wabasca Lake.

Thanx bbell.

01-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by bbell
Wolverine;

Not to mention where creeks and rivers , or any flowing water may move into or leave a large body of water .

Divert
01-05-2009, 12:17 AM

I agree with you 100% and the first thing I said to my partner while he was talking to his cousin was how fast was he going. The guy who went through said they were only going max of about 10km/hr, and like you BBJ he thought there was no chance of him going through, with a little common sense. Even though he knew conditions wernt the best.

Sorry if I started a S@!T storm here guys wasnt my intent, just to update you guys that he wasnt as careless as was first made out to be.

Should find out some more info in the next few days.

01-05-2009, 12:31 AM
I agree with you 100% and the first thing I said to my partner while he was talking to his cousin was how fast was he going. The guy who went through said they were only going max of about 10km/hr, and like you BBJ he thought there was no chance of him going through, with a little common sense. Even though he knew conditions werent the best.

Sorry if I started a S@!T storm here guys want my intent, just to update you guys that he wasn't as careless as was first made out to be.

Should find out some more info in the next few days.

Yeah. I hope things cool off around here. The only information at the time of my first post where I laughed was made out to be buddy being a moron. No way is it funny for someone who is cautious and being safe . Glad hes alright. Im not a malicious person , I'm not down for personal attacks , and at the time this wasn't my intent other then from reading buddy sounded like he was being foolish. I think the key to fishing big lakes like Slave is get info from the locals before adventuring out on your own.Once again I hope things are cleared up and we can act like men.

gulfman
01-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Yeah. I hope things cool off around here. The only information at the time of my first post where I laughed was made out to be buddy being a moron. No way is it funny for someone who is cautious and being safe . Glad hes alright. Im not a malicious person , I'm not down for personal attacks , and at the time this wasn't my intent other then from reading buddy sounded like he was being foolish. I think the key to fishing big lakes like Slave is get info from the locals before adventuring out on your own.Once again I hope things are cleared up and we can act like men.

If that was some sort of an apology for coming off a little strong on someones misfortune I'll take it. I'm sure we have all done STUPID things in our lives that could have been avoided with a little common sense or thinking it out more, Unfortunately this could be a drastic life changing lesson learned here. Hope things turn out for the best to someone i don't even know......

honda450
01-05-2009, 01:13 PM
BBJ is a good fella. Read his other 2200 posts. Now that redneck posse is another story.:lol: :lol::lol:

gunslinger
01-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Well we all have misfortunes every year in the hunting and fishing adventures we take, i absolutley applaud this fella for going back in the vehicle and rescueing his wife from the truck.

Divert tell your friend he in my books is a hero for saving her and himself in this terrible incident.......Out doing what he loves doing and run into some trouble, Didnt panic and saved his wife in this desparate and tramatic time and then got him and her to safety,,,must of been absolutly painful.
Weve all had frozen fingers and it hurts .That far off land and that late you could imagine the desparation ...........in my books he deserves a hero credit and she will be indebted to him for life for saving hers and him.

Walleyes
01-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Well we all have misfortunes every year in the hunting and fishing adventures we take, i absolutley applaud this fella for going back in the vehicle and rescueing his wife from the truck.

Divert tell your friend he in my books is a hero for saving her and himself in this terrible incident.......Out doing what he loves doing and run into some trouble, Didnt panic and saved his wife in this desparate and tramatic time and then got him and her to safety,,,must of been absolutly painful.
Weve all had frozen fingers and it hurts .That far off land and that late you could imagine the desparation ...........in my books he deserves a hero credit and she will be indebted to him for life for saving hers and him.

X2

Right on Gunslinger..

Wood1
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Honda450, I just took the opportunity to read a few of BBJ's 2200 posts, other than numerous posts of "good job buddy", "way to go sparky" and a lot of illiteracy and un-informed knowlege of fishing and outdoors, I also found his response to the thread where the fella died going through the ice in a bobcat. What I found strange and similar to his responses in this post was "if the boot fits". "stupid move", "not a smart move".
When you live in a glass house........

TexasTornado
01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
It's unfortunate

Dark
01-05-2009, 03:38 PM

x3

honda450
01-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda450, I just took the opportunity to read a few of BBJ's 2200 posts, other than numerous posts of "good job buddy", "way to go sparky" and a lot of illiteracy and un-informed knowlege of fishing and outdoors, I also found his response to the thread where the fella died going through the ice in a bobcat. What I found strange and similar to his responses in this post was "if the boot fits". "stupid move", "not a smart move".
When you live in a glass house........

Well aren't you holier than hole. Well I guess we can judge you too when you have 2200 posts. If ya got something to say instead of critizing other members go away.

Big.Bear
01-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Well aren't you holier than hole. Well I guess we can judge you too when you have 2200 posts. If ya got something to say instead of critizing other members go away.

X2

Wood1
01-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Well boys, we judge people by the quantity of posts? Posts like (X2), lol, smiley faces and such. Pretty easy to pile up the numbers with thought provoking drivel like this. As BBJ stated above, "it's my opinion and I'm intitled to it". When you post comments like BBJ did regarding someone elses mis-fortune, you are leaving yourself open to criticism. I felt his comments eluded to the fact that these people somehow deserved this fate for being stupid. How many of us have driven vehicles on ice covered lakes? Most of us. On a well beaten path or not, you could break through. It is an inherent risk that we choose to take and I guess some people would consider us stupid, but to criticize, especially a dead man is in bad taste, period.

searay
01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
That photo makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up , that would have been a horrific feeling breaking through that ice . I hope that guy and his wife recover fully.

It's easy to sit in front of your computer and pass judgement on someone's decision in the outdoors. Would I drive my truck onto any lake, no, its just something I don't do, but that is a chose I make and I'm not going to judge someone for doing it. You can only take every safety precaution possible, for some there are more precautions then others. To tell you the truth I always have a bit of an uneasy feeling when I am on the hard water, mainly because I am usually with my kids.

I'm sure just about every outdoorsmen can think of a couple decisions they made whether fishing,hunting,boating, or snowmobiling that they learned a hard lesson from. I know the ones I've learned will be passed down to my kids so they don't make the same.

tbosch
01-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Really glad to hear that the fella and his wife made it out okay. I know that I have questioned ice that i've drove on in the past even after drilling test holes. I'm sure a few of us here have taken risks such as this before and it's always unfortunate to see something like this happen to a fellow outdoorsmen. It will definitely make me think twice next time I head out on a big lake or any lake for that matter.

tbosch
01-05-2009, 04:32 PM
That photo makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up , that would have been a horrific feeling breaking through that ice . I hope that guy and his wife recover fully.

It's easy to sit in front of your computer and pass judgement on someone's decision in the outdoors. Would I drive my truck onto any lake, no, its just something I don't do, but that is a chose I make and I'm not going to judge someone for doing it. You can only take every safety precaution possible, for some there are more precautions then others. To tell you the truth I always have a bit of an uneasy feeling when I am on the hard water, mainly because I am usually with my kids.

I'm sure just about every outdoorsmen can think of a couple decisions they made whether fishing,hunting,boating, or snowmobiling that they learned a hard lesson from. I know the ones I've learned will be passed down to my kids so they don't make the same.

I must have read your mind or vice versa on this one.:lol:

happy perch fisher
01-05-2009, 04:35 PM
BBJ posted without the story being posted. I've seen dozens of these posts and ussually people always poke fun at the guy it happened to. It was his choice he took the risk considering those tracks arn't very beaton even and that he's driving a heavy truck he sould of known better. He did'nt know the story so let it go. I

troller
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
BBJ was posted

Someone snuck up behind him and stapled a "no hunting" sign on his back? LOL

kenzo12
01-05-2009, 05:12 PM
It can happen to anyone, regardless if it is 16" of ice or more, there is always the possibility of going through the ice and thats the risk we take. Yes our chances are decreased with more ice, but the fact of the matter is, it is ice and it can happen. So for all of you laughing and pointing fingers dont think it cant happen to you. The guy could have lost his life and god forbid he could have survived and lost his wife. And may have a different life because of his hands and this experience. Respect the man first thats he's a fellow fisherman and fellow human. Its a good thing he was obviously conditioned enough to get himself and his wife out, some of you ( you know who you are) making fun do you think you would have been able to get out in time? and walk a great distance in the cold? Nobody thinks they are going to fall through but it is in the back of everyones head when they do take the chance. Just remember there is still the chance. We have all made mistakes and gone against the rules but for god sake have some respect for others. This forum is getting ridiculous.

cujo1969
01-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Hope he makes a full recovery. Seen a guy go thru the ice walking once also and there was 15" of ice so you just never know. Just hope to never have to experience falling thru the ice.

Scottie
01-05-2009, 05:32 PM
Its really a terrible situation that I don't think anyone wants to have happen to them or anyone they know.

For the recored the truck in the picture wasn't the truck where the man and wife had to escape from. I'm not sure what happened to the people in the this picture.

The man that had to dive back into the water and safe his wife happened at Assinaue and they had to walk to a near buy house (well not near by at least a km) They were driving a Chevy, I was out to Assinaue and see the truck about 400 yards from shore...on the main road to the ice shacks.

~Scottie

pickrel pat
01-05-2009, 05:34 PM
some pple need to get out of the house and do some fishing or something!!!!! WOW!!!!

kenzo12
01-05-2009, 05:38 PM
For a regular poster like BBJ im surprised of the comments. Man up eh BBJ ?haha sure a manly thing to do and make fun, i think its more "manly" to have respect for someone. Im sure he would have his way with you if you told him what you said to his face because your disrespecting him and his wifes life. Id like to see you man up then. How do you know for sure there is no reason you cant go through the ice with 16" of ice ? Are you saying its impossible? have a clue. Better hope it doesnt happen to you BBJ as im sure you would fail in the attempt to get out of the truck in time.

sco22
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
There is only one aspect that is truly "funny" to this entire thread. That is the desire to be right; the desire to pass judgement on someone else's actions whether its the unfortunate driver that went through the ice, those that made light of the situation, the subsequent posters that took those who chose to make light of the situation to task, those that defended the the original posters. . .and so on (sorry for the run-on sentence there).

Most of the posters on this board are avid outdoorsmen and as such usually have some knowledge and/or experience, be it not driving too fast on the ice, not driving on unknown ice thickness, road hunting, being scoped, hunting on private land, etc. I think that also makes us want to comment, which tends to come from a "holier than thow" or a "I would not have done that" perspective INTENTIONAL OR NOT. I say intentional or not because I don't believe BBJ wants to see someone endanger their life, but he is set on his belief that people drive too fast and took the opportunity to make the comment. Maybe in retrospect it was insensitive, but how was he to know the dire consequence that happened (or maybe did not )? That and his avatar scares me a bit. . .

Where I am trying to go, in such a clumsy manner, is that what is funny about this post is the esclation of who knows more and who can take the prior poster to task about their stance. In the end, all this post really should say is be careful on the ice. The prior posters have it right when they say it is ice and as such even at 3 feet thick it still has its risks.

I hope the best for the fellow and his wife that went through. Lord knows, I have driven my truck, my quad, even walked on some suspect ice. . .

Oh yeah, one last little tidbit. . .it is worth a call to your insurer to find out if you are insured on the ice. I wasn't before, but I am now.

Let the chastising begin. . .

Cheers.

honda450
01-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Sure glad everyone bashing BBJ is perfect. Ya don't even know him. Let it go .BBJ has a big heart.:mad3:

Rumtan
01-05-2009, 06:13 PM
As a member of N.A.A.R.S. (Northern Alberta Aquatic Rescue Society) I know that a lot of these types of accidents end in fatalities, I`m happy to hear that the occupants survived the ordeal. No one ever wants an accident like this to occur, but every year it does. Please take heed of all signs posted at waters edge, no matter what the sign is....its there for a reason. My thoughts are for the two occupants and wish them a speedy recovery.

Walleye King
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
To be the fifth poster on this thread and to say a comment like " this is why you dont do 80 kmh across ice " is flipping B.S. How the hell do you know how fast this guy was going? What if he was sitting in his truck ? Does that make him an idiot for going to slow ? Your maturity level is very low BBJ !!! Next time before you shoot your BIG MOUTH off , i would seriously suggest you get the FACTS of what exactly happened out there. You showed bad judgement for someone who is supposed to be an avid outdoorsman. Do the right thing and make your 3000th post on here a sincere apology or expect to lose whatever respect people actually had for you. I sure hope this guy and his wife come out of this brutal accident unscathed or this thread may not go away . Remember karma and payback are usually a BITCH !!!

Jorg
01-05-2009, 07:25 PM
That's a strong first post Walleye king but I have to agree with you, laughing at a fellow sportsman's misfortune is low I don't care how you sugarcoat it. It should only be allowed around the camp fire after you helped the person out.

gulfman
01-05-2009, 09:25 PM
To be the fifth poster on this thread and to say a comment like " this is why you dont do 80 kmh across ice " is flipping B.S. How the hell do you know how fast this guy was going? What if he was sitting in his truck ? Does that make him an idiot for going to slow ? Your maturity level is very low BBJ !!! Next time before you shoot your BIG MOUTH off , i would seriously suggest you get the FACTS of what exactly happened out there. You showed bad judgement for someone who is supposed to be an avid outdoorsman. Do the right thing and make your 3000th post on here a sincere apology or expect to lose whatever respect people actually had for you. I sure hope this guy and his wife come out of this brutal accident unscathed or this thread may not go away . Remember karma and payback are usually a BITCH !!!

X2.....not bad for a first post.................... oh by the way ...my 17th post

ukrmaf
01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
This was Friday nite around 11pm when this truck went thru. The day before, not to far from this area another truck with a trailer dipped its ass end in but got pulled out, luckily. We didn't notice ths happen Friday nite when we came off the lake at night around midnight. This is straight out from Joussard on Slave Lake. We went out on sleds and a truck as well, but where this happened there was a crack over the width of your hand and I guess it just wasn't stable ice. We fished there all day and the ice was 12" but there were quite a few trucks going back and forth from the shore to the little shack village. When we went back this afternoon to get our gear we left in the shack, we stumbled on this. The biggest load that day I seen was a Super jacked up Ford deisel hauling a tandem axle trailer with a mini house as an ice shack, looked nice but you got to have a big set of nuts to go over a mile out from shore after when told there are signs of poor ice stregth.

I was out there from tuesday to friday afternoon, stayed at ladyhawk in joussard, bernie helped pull the truck with the dipped trailer out and apparently while they were working on that another big truck drove right past them and tons of water came spilling up over the ice, that was pure ignorance. The night before i saw 1TON flat deck duallies with huge ice huts on them and really there was only 12 inches of ice, also the ice wasnt very stable, there were also warning signs on the ice and the road on the ice was getting moved around day by day to avoid bad patches, unfortunately the village is quite a way from shore but there was clearly people using bad judgement out there, thankfully no one was killed.

Cornsy
01-05-2009, 09:59 PM
I'm not trying to be an *******, but to enlighten the mood in this forum a little bit. Now would you feel safer in a ford super duty on the ice or sitting beside a bbj super duty on a lawn chair on the ice. Either one is intimidating weight wise.
Now after that said, i am glad the guy and his wife will survive. I am naive myself as I measure the ice by how many other vehicles are out there. Probably stupid, but i've had 100's of times where this has been my reasoning. Maybe dumb luck, but knock on wood i still do it.
This forum is important because people can share their experiences and their thoughts. Both help other peolple out emensely.
I will continue driving on the ice and I am not an idiot, just an average joe who tries to think before he acts. Happy hard water season everyone, enjoy the winter!!

BrownBear416
01-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I hope the man and his wife have a full recovery....Moral of the story is Slave was wide open less then a month ago and people have to be crazy to be out there in pickups.:huh:

01-05-2009, 10:30 PM
You know , let these people bash me bash my thinking. If they took the extra 2 minutes to read the '' INTIRE THREAD '' not bits and pieces. They will see I initially posted before anything else said. In Fact I wasn't even home the following day to read other posts. Instead you get lynched for speaking the truth. Shame on me.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Drano
01-06-2009, 03:41 AM
I don't believe BBJ meant any cruel intent to make a joke out of it. Before Divert posted what the whole story was everyone just thought the guy lost his vehicle. Then we found out about the wife and the man's hands being frost bitten. I don't think its a laughing matter anymore once I found out someone was injured and I'm sure BBJ feels the same.

I am sure a few fellows on here are eating Sole right now and I don't mean fish.

Hope all works out for the guy and his wife...:wave:

gube
01-06-2009, 04:08 AM
I've done lots of ice-fishing but I have never heard of 'gas pockets'.

The only real dangers I was aware of on ice were driving on ice that isn't thick enough, driving near weed beds as the weeds can transmit heat through the ice and keep it thin (I found that out the hard way with a quad) and driving too fast and building up a 'pressure wave' which will bust the ice near shore.

Can someone tell me exactly what these gas pockets are, how they are formed and how they can cause you to go through thick ice?

Thanx.

I've fished slave for many a year and have seen open holes with gas bubbling through them the size of a house. Most of them are about a foot to four feet wide. This is in the middle of winter with 3 ft of ice. The great big holes I've seen were between "hilliards bay" and "big grassy". (I won't take that route ever again).

Gord
01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
You know , let these people bash me bash my thinking. If they took the extra 2 minutes to read the '' INTIRE THREAD '' not bits and pieces. They will see I initially posted before anything else said. In Fact I wasn't even home the following day to read other posts. Instead you get lynched for speaking the truth. Shame on me.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You just don't get it do you BBJ? This is not about you or your feelings of being bashed. You thought that this potentially disastrous situation was funny. Before you knew what the whole story was, you were laughing at this person's misfortune. Even without the injuries that are now known to have happened, this poor guy was in a world of hurt. His truck is sitting on the bottom of Slave Lake and he is facing a huge recovery cost and likely some major grief. Where is the humour?

Now, I can accept that you made a mistake in opening your big yap before you knew all the details, but I cannot accept your lame ass attempt of standing by your comments for "speaking the truth". Who cares if you weren't even home to read to read other posts, what does that have to do with anything?

Be a man and apologize and learn from this mistake. You may be right about driving on ice being unsafe, but you will never be right for laughing at others in such a serious situation.

Gord

Izumi
01-06-2009, 09:04 AM

You got burned for passing judgment without even knowing the story.

Alberta Bigbore
01-06-2009, 09:05 AM
the internet warriors are out with the "gnikcuf" pitchforks again.

I do believe the 80 km/h comment made by BBJ was a fire lit under comments made by Walleyes many moons ago when every one had a big spat about why you shouldnt go 80 kms an hour on ice yadda yadda , blah who cares, and some thought it was A-ok to do so. Seems alot of heros came out of the wood work once this forum got put on that "my alberta" or whatever its called, and like to Jump on BBJ any time theres an opening for it. :wave:

tbosch
01-06-2009, 09:14 AM

I do believe the 80 km/h comment made by BBJ was a fire lit under comments made by Walleyes many moons ago when every one had a big spat about why you shouldnt go 80 kms an hour on ice yadda yadda , blah who cares, and some thought it was A-ok to do so. Seems alot of heros came out of the wood work once this forum got put on that "my alberta" or whatever its called, and like to Jump on BBJ any time theres an opening for it. :wave:

Hahaha Internet warriors. :lol: Bigbore that is good stuff. I love it. Gave me a good laugh.

Big.Bear
01-06-2009, 09:22 AM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/TROUT2087/InternetToughGuy.jpg

Alberta Bigbore
01-06-2009, 09:29 AM

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa111/Z-Axis-2007/Random/n567115180_3050093_1007.jpg

tbosch
01-06-2009, 09:42 AM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk150/TROUT2087/InternetToughGuy.jpg

Loon how'd you get this picture of me??? I thought I saw a camera flash from outside my office yesterday....And actually I'm 6' 5" :lol:

Big.Bear
01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Loon how'd you get this picture of me??? I thought I saw a camera flash from outside my office yesterday....And actually I'm 6' 5" :lol:

LMAO damn I'm busted, this is not the end TBOSCH!!!!

beerhunter
01-06-2009, 10:38 AM
Some of this banter sounds like a bunch of kids in the school yard. Lets grow up. You all can say what you like (thats the idea of the forum) I'll agree or not agree.

I hope we have all learned to be a little bit safer out on the ice from this whole ordeal. My thoughts are to the couple and for a complete recovery.

This will happen again............WILL IT BE YOU!

The Elkster
01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
You got burned for passing judgment without even knowing the story.

x2

Learn facts BEFORE passing judgment. Not knowing the facts doesn't give one carte blanche to go off on a rant.

PoorTurtle
01-06-2009, 11:26 AM
ok. i just read this thread from front to back. when i read the first post and it stated only 12" of ice, unstable, and a truck went thought the day before. i thought to myself this guy should shake his head. it's not that hard to find out info like that before you drive out on such a big pond. if you did the math you would agree that they should not have been out there. it's not like this is the first truck to break through the ice, and wont be the last.
yes it sucks and you never want to hear people getting hurt, but people just dont get how dangerous it is.

fast recovery to all, and a safe year for thoughs out on the ice.

Albertadiver
01-06-2009, 11:43 AM
x2

Learn facts BEFORE passing judgment. Not knowing the facts doesn't give one carte blanche to go off on a rant.

Well, I'd agree with that. Sometimes though the facts are hard to find. However, I've caught myself only reading half a thread, posted somthing, and later regretted it after reading the whole thread. Lesson for myself there.

rugatika
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Any word on how they're doing??

Morph1
01-06-2009, 12:23 PM
lol , this thread is something, yeah I feel sorry for the misfortune , but I am happy that no one lost a life, if you ask me driving on the ice is just like hiding behind a lexan panel while your buddy is shooting at you with a rifle,
hoping that the lexan panel will withstand the gun shot lol just because the spec sheet says so....

driving on the ice is straight stupid and besides how does that add to the environment ????, some folks sit in their idleing trucks worming up all day exhausting all the fumes on to the snow and ice and letting it all to the lake when the ice melts, god do I ever enjoy the mercury contaminated fish already...

Driving on the ice should be illegal :mad3: not because it is dangerous but simply for the better of the environment.

Cheers !

01-06-2009, 12:40 PM
you just don't get it do you bbj? This is not about you or your feelings of being bashed. You thought that this potentially disastrous situation was funny. Before you knew what the whole story was, you were laughing at this person's misfortune. Even without the injuries that are now known to have happened, this poor guy was in a world of hurt. His truck is sitting on the bottom of slave lake and he is facing a huge recovery cost and likely some major grief. Where is the humour?

Now, i can accept that you made a mistake in opening your big yap before you knew all the details, but i cannot accept your lame ass attempt of standing by your comments for "speaking the truth". Who cares if you weren't even home to read to read other posts, what does that have to do with anything?

Be a man and apologize and learn from this mistake. You may be right about driving on ice being unsafe, but you will never be right for laughing at others in such a serious situation.

Gord

get off your high horse , and shut your mouth while your ahead.
No - its not funny when someone is hurt.
No - its not funny when accidents happen when proper procedures are meet for safety.
No - I'm not perfect and nore do i wish to be. This is an outdoors forum not a frickin spelling bee , nore a contest on who has better grammar and such.
If you read posts from previous other then the ones set in front of your damn face you'd read the fact that the fellow who originally posted here , made the story to sound as the fella who this story is about , made it to sound he was not driving smart on ice. It would be nice if you were here to read the inital post not the other half .

GORD LETS TAKE THIS TO PM AND LEAVE THIS BASHED THREAD ALONE . ID LOVE TO HEAR WHAT YOU THINK.PERHAPS COFFEE AT TIMHORTONS IN FT SASK .

Divert
01-06-2009, 12:46 PM
No update on the couple as of yet but ill try to find something out tonight!
posted by Morph
driving on the ice is straight stupid and besides how does that add to the environment ????, some folks sit in their idleing trucks worming up all day exhausting all the fumes on to the snow and ice and letting it all to the lake when the ice melts, god do I ever enjoy the mercury contaminated fish already...

Driving on the ice should be illegal not because it is dangerous but simply for the better of the environment.

That may be your opinion morph but then do you think that boats with engines should be illegal too? Cause its the exact same thing.
Just sounds like your trying to stir the pot even more to me, due to the fact that pretty much everyone who is posting on this topic is a hard water fisherman.
If thats your opinion though then your well entitled to it.

Morph1
01-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Just sounds like your trying to stir the pot even more to me :huh:lol , not at all buds , you got that wrong....

If thats your opinion though then your well entitled to it. :huh: you are dead on the target :) and thanks.

By the way adding more unnecessary polution to the environment does not make any good does it ??? hmm, I think my kid would agree,

Decreasing polution is what you want my friend, damn ! it does not take much thinking does it, people that think like you "DIVERT" will destroy this planet and wake up when it's too late :mad2:

and how is that legal to drive a truck on a frozen lake that prohibits gasoline motors / crafts during the summer seazon ???

I think this thread should be locked simply cause it became a contest of whos right whos wrong on the internet :lol: , but that is just my opinion and I am fully entitled to it ...

Peace out !

Albertadiver
01-06-2009, 01:36 PM
No update on the couple as of yet but ill try to find something out tonight!

Please do keep us posted.

I think the rhetoric on the other issues has been beaten to death and is now just turning into a bit of an internet righteousness battle. I'd like to see the thread remain open, if only to find out the status of these folks.

slingshot
01-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Curious how that veichle would be removed.Probably alot of damage due to being frozen in anyone know how they remove stuff froze in.I have seen stuff many years ago in picters where they cut hole and pulled it towards shore for removal really only left pieces strewn on the bottom

Albertadiver
01-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Curious how that veichle would be removed.Probably alot of damage due to being frozen in anyone know how they remove stuff froze in.I have seen stuff many years ago in picters where they cut hole and pulled it towards shore for removal really only left pieces strewn on the bottom

Depending on the lake, and the depth and distance from shore there are a few ways. One is to wait until the thaw and then use divers with float bags to bring it to the surface and either tow it to shore or lift it onto a barge. Sometimes they'll wait till the ice is thick enough to bring a crane onto the ice and lift it out that way. Either way its a challange and very pricey.

Dakota369
01-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I would guess that they will get a crane out there when the ice is thick enough and lift it out........only way I could see, of course that depends on how far out from shore it is and how deep the water is under it......

01-06-2009, 02:05 PM

Depending how deep and how big the vehcile , I remember about 10 years ago , watched them haul one out , had to use a crane , as the truck was in about 35 feet of water . And the lake had already froze over , so they cut a huge hole with chain saws , and send a diver down to attach the cables to the truck and haul it out.The crane raised its boom and they pulled out the cables to where the truck was , cut open the ice and , diver attached the cables to the truck , I remember it being very expensive . Not sure but I dont see it being cheep , plus fines more then likely on top of it all.

Alberta Bigbore
01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Curious how that veichle would be removed.

they are gonna put all the people on this forum with wasteful endless useless yappers, in diving suits, crawl under the truck. fill themselves with their own hot air, and lift it out. Then simply drive it off once AMA gets it started;)

Big.Bear
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
they are gonna put all the people on this forum with wasteful endless useless yappers, in diving suits, crawl under the truck. Fill themselves with their own hot air, and lift it out. Then simply drive it off once ama gets it started;)

bahahahahaha

bs'er
01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
they are gonna put all the people on this forum with wasteful endless useless yappers, in diving suits, crawl under the truck. fill themselves with their own hot air, and lift it out. Then simply drive it off once AMA gets it started;) Yah somepeople like to backslide and try to correct them self while sitting on there high horse waiteing for reassurance from others :( fact it could of happen to anyone at any time no one can perdict when or where .It could as well been a small truck

I remember about 10 years ago , watched them haul one out , had to use a crane , as the truck was in about 35 feet of water . And the lake had already froze over , so they cut a huge hole with chain saws , and send a diver down to attach the cables to the truck and haul it out.The crane raised its boom and they pulled out the cables to where the truck was , cut open the ice and , diver attached the cables to the truck , I remember it being very expensive . Not sure but I dont see it being cheep , plus fines more then likely on top of it all. would anyone find that laughable

TreeGuy
01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I sincerly hope the folks affected by this incident have a full physical/emotional recovery. Very scary stuff.

Now........

BBJ is a super experienced icefisherman who has probably witnessed more stupid acts on the ice than most. Another sunk truck with no story attached could be good for a chuckle from someone with his experience.

Yet, some of you azzhats now on this forum have to attack him for a post made previous to the story. What a bunch of heros. I can only wonder what the euphoria this Earth would be like if everyone was a perfect as you are!

Way to take the high road. A fellow outdoorsman may lose his hands after nearly losing both the lives of himself and his wife, and all you can do is bash on BBJ for one post. Get a life losers.

As for the poster that made a crack about his weight..................I can only hope that one day you repeat your words to my face.............

Tree:mad2:

boomer
01-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Good Job Treeguy!
I Agree 100% With Your Post!
BBJ Dont Let The Morons Get To You

Shmag
01-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Like i said before, i have seen this situation alot, They usually stagger power poles on the ice and walk a track hole on the poles, very slow process. They can only move 20-30 feet and the track hole turns around and picks the poles up behind him and places them in front. I am sure it would be a very nerve racking experience for the operator.

As far as this thread getting bent out of shape, when you really look at the picture it doesn't look more than someone getting out the side window with wet feet. Before you bash YES IT IS UNFORTUNATE. It was later stated that this was not the truck that the people were even in. I have seen the pictures of the one that the people were hurt in, it was the one in Assineau bay, and if those pictures were originally posted on here, there would be no joking about it. I am 100% certain that every post would say
"OH MY GOD, DID THE PEOPLE LIVE, DID THEY MAKE IT OUT ALIVE"
The truck is pretty much straight up and down with the box and not very much of the back part of the cab sticking out and that is it. It does look very scary. I know that every person on this site would never wish that on even their worst enemy and it is very sad to see. I think alot of people really need to take abit of a break from this thread and do some deep breathing before returning. Take care and play safe!!!

dogboy
01-06-2009, 10:21 PM
they showed a truck recoverey on dirty jobs last week on Discovery chan.

01-06-2009, 11:27 PM
they showed a truck recoverey on dirty jobs last week on Discovery chan.

Yes I saw that also but its not how they do things in Alberta. Here , well what Ive witnessed , is have a crane sit on shore , they have 2 divers cut holes in the ice , and then pull it threw 6the ice letting the car bounce across bottom. Never once is the crane on the ice.Its not a pretty sight nore is it , a cheep lesson to be learned. I think It was something like a 100 dollars an hour per a diver plus whatever it costs to bring that crane in. And unless things have changed your insurance company wont help you. Again this is what Ive witnessed , and I don't know might do things differently. But I don't see them risking there heavy equipment to recover a vehicle.

01-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Here is the truck that went threw the ice. This is much more serious then what previously was said. The picture is enough to knock the winmd out of a guy. Im posting this picture for Shmag.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/trewthrewiceatslavelake.jpg

Shmag
01-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Yes, thought i would give the honor's to John to post the picture and people can see the severity of the two pictures. I think EVERYONE can AGREE that there wouldn't be much for negative comments or jokes if they seen the ACTUAL picture that went with the story posted by DIVERT.

Looking at this picture, he really is a hero for going back in and getting his wife out. I still have no idea how they made it out alive. Even though this is a terrible accident, there must of been a god looking down on them.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS/GALS, WE DON'T NEED TO SEE ANYMORE OF THESE PICTURE'S. Take care and play safe!!!!!:wave:

Bear Ballz
01-07-2009, 03:20 AM
Yes, thought i would give the honor's to John to post the picture and people can see the severity of the two pictures. I think EVERYONE can AGREE that there wouldn't be much for negative comments or jokes if they seen the ACTUAL picture that went with the story posted by DIVERT.

Looking at this picture, he really is a hero for going back in and getting his wife out. I still have no idea how they made it out alive. Even though this is a terrible accident, there must of been a god looking down on them.

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE GUYS/GALS, WE DON'T NEED TO SEE ANYMORE OF THESE PICTURE'S. Take care and play safe!!!!!:wave:

All honours should be given to the man that saved his wifes life... ***** happens to all of us. Be thankful the man and his wife are alive

Shmag
01-07-2009, 03:35 AM
All honours should be given to the man that saved his wifes life... ***** happens to all of us. Be thankful the man and his wife are alive

Thats a big 10-4 rubber ducky!!!

Dark
01-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Years ago a van went through the ice at Lac St. Anne, once the ice was thick enough they cut a hole, rolled a giant empty cable spool up to the edge, blocked it so it would not roll, backed a tow truck up to it and ran the cable over the spool. Divers hooked up the van, the tow truck winched the van up until the front was out of the water and clear of the ice edge then they removed the blocks from the spool and and let it roll well winching, the van cleared the ice and came up slick as s%^$. Well every one was admiring their work the water was draining out of the van, because there was no open windows the suction of the water draining caused the van to implode the sides caved in, if it wasn't a write off from the dunking it sure was when the sides caved in.

tbosch
01-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Here is the truck that went threw the ice. This is much more serious then what previously was said. The picture is enough to knock the winmd out of a guy. Im posting this picture for Shmag.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii122/JOHN_CONROY/trewthrewiceatslavelake.jpg

That picture gives me shivers right through to the bone. Man what a terrifying situation to be in. Koodos to this man and his wife. I can't say I would have dealt with this situation as well.

AbAngler
01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I've gone through the ice. Different circumstances, but not a pleasant experience. I lucked out and only cut my arms up on the ice swimming out. Could have been alot worse. Recovery was done with divers and a big ass winch. And lots of $$$.

Glad to hear they are alive and I hope the fellow's hands heal up. He is a hero IMO.

BrownBear416
01-07-2009, 02:22 PM

I heard that they cut i out and and used rig mats and a picker.

Stinky Buffalo
01-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I've gone through the ice.

X2... Not very fun. Your hands get cut up in a hurry.

Hope those involved are OK... Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Stinky

wolf
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I think enough said on this thread already. We all learn from own or other's mistakes, there is no pointing abusing this thread/forum, nobody wants to see bunch of people arguing each other. I am sure everybody has a point, but let's respect each other.

Thanks for posting CanadianZ71

wolf
01-07-2009, 02:52 PM
X2... Not very fun.

Agreed!

AbAngler, what do you think you could have done to avoid it? I know it sucks big time even think about it but any info is appreciated. I try not to drive on ice ( but sometimes I am a passenger :) )

gunslinger
01-07-2009, 03:35 PM

hope your doing well my friend.

Don Meredith
01-07-2009, 04:12 PM
O.K. That's it. This thread is closed. Maybe everybody should take a 'time-out' and cool off a bit and think about how much time you spend arguing here. Is it really worth it?

Don Meredith
Board Administrator