PDA

View Full Version : Can I fish without hooks?

bloopbloob
04-19-2015, 06:59 AM
Just curious, is it legal to take the hooks off a lure and cast into water that is closed to fishing?

recce43
04-19-2015, 09:10 AM
Ok i will bite why?

58thecat
04-19-2015, 09:12 AM
Yep find yourself a puddle and cast away:)

TROLLER
04-19-2015, 09:13 AM
We all have had more than one pike grab the side of the lure and bring it all the way in with no hooks in it's mouth but the fish refusing to let go of the body of the lure.

So yes I believe you would be ticketed by any F&W officer for illegal fishing.

58thecat
04-19-2015, 09:18 AM
We all have had more than one pike grab the side of the lure and bring it all the way in with no hooks in it's mouth but the fish refusing to let go of the body of the lure.

So yes I believe you would be ticketed by any F&W officer for illegal fishing.

That was why I said to find a puddle, maybe in the back yard.

Lefty-Canuck
04-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Look up the definition of angling in the fisheries act and see if it falls under the definition.

LC

adogwiththumbs
04-19-2015, 11:12 AM
There is a very bright side to this. It is perfectly legal for you to fish the other 11 months of the year with no hooks. :)

bloopbloob
04-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Look up the definition of angling in the fisheries act and see if it falls under the definition.

LC

I just quickly read all 32 pages and didn't see anything in there to define angling. Never read it before, thanks for pointing me there, learned a few things.

Reason I'm asking is because I really don't enjoy fishing stocked trout ponds, I'd love to go chuck some hookless topwater lures for pike to tide me over until the season opens up.

The Fisherman Guy
04-19-2015, 12:12 PM
Could be considered harassment of wildlife.

Pike spawn in the spring, along with many other species. The closure to fishing is to leave them alone :)

bang_on_sk
04-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Could be considered harassment of wildlife.

Pike spawn in the spring, along with many other species. The closure to fishing is to leave them alone :)

Know a guy got charged with this in Ontario for catching and releasing bass during their spawn season.

If you're just looking for casting practice, use a rubber casting plug, I doubt anything would touch it. Or head to your local park for some practice on grass.

adogwiththumbs
04-19-2015, 01:20 PM
When I get the itch, which is what I'm guessing you have. I usually end up spooling new line, putting newly acquired gear from the winter away. Cleaning out my black hole of a tackle box. Then there is getting the boat ready, which leads to cleaning the garage and finding forgotten projects, tinkering ensues. I then remember why I abandoned the project. I then start new projects. Wife sees new projects, she thinks that signals her assigning a couple "small" projects.

May 8th arrives, I abandon all projects at this time. Hiding projects under every available surface in the garage. I go on a Vigorous fishing spree while claiming victory over the winter and all the projects assigned to me.

This is just my routine and it works for me. Good luck to you this season!!

Hooker
04-19-2015, 03:38 PM
That was one of the best trolls I've seen in a long time!!!

creighton
04-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Hooker is absolutely right how ridiculous lol

Cory1
04-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Sport fishing is defined as line AND hook, among nets and a couple other things...

Closest thing I could find, but I have tossed around a fly line with yarn to practice casting while I had a p-rig in the water

bloopbloob
04-19-2015, 09:12 PM
Hooker is absolutely right how ridiculous lol

Not trolling at all. Legitimate question. I still don't know, is it considered fishing if you're just casting into a lake, with whatever it may be with no hooks on it? Could be a sandal on the line, could be a hookless rapala, but without hooks, would it be illegal? I don't plan on it, but the thought crossed my mind, and now I'd like to know

T3Hunter
04-19-2015, 11:40 PM
From the Alberta Fisheries act:
“fishing” means fishing as defined in the Fisheries Act (Canada);

From the Federal Fisheries act:
“fishing” means fishing for, catching or attempting to catch fish by any method;

Based on that broad definition what you're proposing sounds like fishing.

Mulehahn
04-20-2015, 01:20 AM
Cut and pasted from the regs:

"Sportfishing Seasons
Check for dates of open and closed seasons under “Site-Specific
Regulations” in each Watershed Unit of the Fish Management Zones
starting on page 34."

"Sportfishing refers to angling (using a hook and line), bowfishing, spearfishing and using a minnow trap, seine net or dip net to collect bait fish for non-commercial use."

To me this clearly states that the closures are part of the "Sportfishing" Season, and "sportfishing" is defined as using a HOOK and line. Therefore if there is no hook you are not sportfishing and it is not against the regulations. I do not support it, let the fish spawn in peace. But I don't see how you could be charged with anything.

Chief16
04-20-2015, 03:42 AM
This seems like another wording problem with a loophole. There are reasons waters are closed, mostly to allow fish to spawn in peace. Let them do their thing, waiting another couple weeks sucks but harassing fishing on their spawning beds will do nothing but deplete fish for the future.

58thecat
04-20-2015, 06:43 AM
This seems like another wording problem with a loophole. There are reasons waters are closed, mostly to allow fish to spawn in peace. Let them do their thing, waiting another couple weeks sucks but harassing fishing on their spawning beds will do nothing but deplete fish for the future.

Well said.:)

Ozzzzz
04-20-2015, 06:16 PM
If it looks like fishing, smells like fishing, and sounds like fishing...I'm guessing the local F&W Officer would probably find something to nail you on if he sees you out there on closed waters.

I probably wouldn't push it, even if it is "legal".

Ozz

FlyTheory
04-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Go and fish your local stocked pothole. Most are open year-round, and it'll help the itch too

wcbarker
04-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Check with local fish and game they have the right answer......maybe.