PDA

View Full Version : Are you the Whitefish God?

DuckBrat
01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
If you've caught a whitefish from south Buck lake tell us about it I'd love to hear the story. Those whites are elusive and large. If you got one I'll consider you a god or at least a Demi-god.

Big.Bear
01-03-2009, 09:26 PM
If its the buck lake I was at then I went commercial fishing in the winter with my ex's family there. Did everything old fashioned. Used metal picks to get through the ice to set the nets etc. Caught ALOT of HGUE whitefish. one was about 9lbs. Sold allot of them to the huderites (sp)

DuckBrat
01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Buck lake near Alder Flats and has anybody caught one on hook and line (no snagging Wetaskawin specials).?

skykomish sunrise
01-04-2009, 05:13 PM
there were a lot of huge floaters that summerkilled this year....up to then i had'nt seen a white in this lake

TundraBuck
01-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I've caught a couple from there and lots at Battle. My biggest is about 7 lbs. Caught on a homemade hook, not a snagging wetaskiwin special.

Not much of a story, a foot and a half of water below a foot of ice, sightfishing. Saw 2 fish all day.

moosehunter3-0
01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
wetaskiwins have two sets of double hooks which makes them prone to snagging fish if your intentionally jerking the rod tip violently, but the lures liteness makes it flutter really nice. If you just twitch the rod tip the whites are all over them and you wont snag any..

DuckBrat
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Ahhh... the Buck Lake clunker. Similar to a Wetaskiwin special, a treble hook with a an egg weight (the one with the rubber insert) crimped to it painted green/red or copper/red.

TundraBuck
01-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Ahhh... the Buck Lake clunker. Similar to a Wetaskiwin special, a treble hook with a an egg weight (the one with the rubber insert) crimped to it painted green/red or copper/red.

Nope I don't use those either. Those are most effective during the burbot spawn, like wetaskiwins, they immitate burbot eggs and the whitefish, pike, and burbot are all over them.

DuckBrat
01-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Very effective!

BEL
01-04-2009, 11:42 PM
They are also called Bells or Frosty Bells. They work all year not just the spawn. BEL

TundraBuck
01-05-2009, 02:11 PM
They are also called Bells or Frosty Bells. They work all year not just the spawn. BEL

I never said they didn't, I said they were most effective during the spawn.