PDA

View Full Version : Good spincast reels

leeaspell
04-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Looking for a good spincast reel that ain't gonna break the bank. I've never bought one before so no idea what's good or bad. It will be used mostly for trout fishing.

bang_on_sk
04-19-2015, 07:12 PM
I have an Abu Garcia, really like it. I was shocked at the difference from a crappy tire special. Put some braided line on it, and you're laughing.

Rikkles Fisher
04-19-2015, 08:12 PM
I love my Fleuger Patriarch size 35 it was 200 when I got it but I think they are only 150 now.

bloopbloob
04-19-2015, 09:26 PM
I was a shimano guy, but my last purchase was a Pflueger. Got it on sale for just over $140. My next purchase will be another Pflueger. I'm pretty impressed by it, very high quality for a decent price. It's a larger reel, don't know the model, I use it as my large pike setup, but they have reels under $100

YeeHaw
04-19-2015, 09:26 PM
I found the Cabelas " salt striker" reels to be great so far. Owned two so far, first one failed due to flying out of the truck on the highway.

Digger91
04-19-2015, 10:12 PM
I have an Abu Garcia as well and love it, have had no problems! And I think I only paid $90-$100.

Winch101
04-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Spin cast is a closed face reel ,like a Zebco 404 .

http://www.zebco.com/the-first-spincast/
I buy the Shimano 35 buck stuff .....can't wear them out .

Sea Hawk
04-19-2015, 10:27 PM
i thing for the most part spincast reels are of low quality.

leeaspell
04-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Spin cast is a closed face reel ,like a Zebco 404 .

http://www.zebco.com/the-first-spincast/
I buy the Shimano 35 buck stuff .....can't wear them out .

Nope, spin cast is what I'm looking for. Press the button, swing it back and let er buck.

traxxis87
04-21-2015, 07:20 AM
If you're looking for a good quality spincast reel, the Daiwa Gold cast has always been a staple. http://daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=72 usually runs about 50-60 dollars.

EZM
04-21-2015, 07:59 AM
I am really curious why anyone other than a child, novice, or some one who is disabled, would even consider a spin cast?

It is common knowledge the retrieve rates are lower (smaller internal spool and gearing), the drags are not capable of providing a smooth release and they are prone to major line twist and they can be a PITA if tangled up.

Using anything except mono on these might be a disaster.

If you heart is set on one - buy the most expensive one is my only advice ..... maybe it less of a piece of $#!T compared to the ones you find in the stores.

Puma
04-21-2015, 08:46 AM
If you're looking for a good quality spincast reel, the Daiwa Gold cast has always been a staple. http://daiwa.com/reel/detail.aspx?id=72 usually runs about 50-60 dollars.

I have been running one of these for years. There are a couple different quality levels of them. Mine was around $120.00 I think.

Nice thing about these is the hardened pick-up pin wont be cut by braided lines.

Puma

Squidlips
04-21-2015, 09:16 AM
What I like to do when looking for new gear is head to the bass pro shop website and search through and read the reviews it helps a bunch

aulrich
04-21-2015, 09:24 AM
I use to like them for beginners, but I have wasted so much time on the water keeping them running, even the higher end ones, I just don't bother anymore.

I'll keep one around for a youngster, (sub 12) but everyone else learns how to use a spinning rod.

Walleyedude
04-21-2015, 11:20 AM
We've got several newer model Zebco 33s at the lake for kids and beginner fishermen to use. They work very well for that purpose and the price is right.

No matter how much I tried, my mom pretty much refused to use a spinning reel, so I bought her one of the Zebco Omegas. They aren't cheap at about $100, but they're pretty impressive reels all things considered. The performance for casting spoons and jigs is very close to any spinning reel of equal or lesser value. If you're looking for a really good spincast reel, that's the one.

Also, I've actually spooled them all with Power Pro Super Slick braid, it works FAR better than mono due to the lack of memory and resistance to line twist. All of the spincast reels cast further, perform better, and are pretty much trouble free since I switched to the Power Pro.