PDA

View Full Version : Early lake trout fishing question

Arnak
04-22-2015, 09:05 AM
For the last 12 years I have been fishing for lake trout from the very first weekend with open water (end of May) until the end of June.

One thing I notice every year is my first weekend is always the worst by far. That's usually the weekend when half the lake is open and the rest is just ice waiting for the next hot day to melt.
Often I see them right from shore and if I try them they don't even look at my bait.
The weekend after when the lake is all open things get back to normal and I can pretend I know what I'm doing again.

Is there any reason for that? Weather, outside temp vs water temp, anything?

Arnak
04-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Is there any reason for that? Weather, outside temp vs water temp, anything?

...skills should be added to that list lol

Squidlips
04-22-2015, 12:19 PM
Inlets leading to the lake (if any) are very typical hideouts for lake trout in early spring. Drop offs near by using cranks work and if there isn't any sort of inlet any Rocky bottoms near shore the rocks retain heat which will be good spots for tubes and jigs with bait or spoons if you are trolling

EZM
04-22-2015, 01:47 PM
I been fishing lakers for years. The right after ice out period is a strange one. Some years slowly bouncing a walleye jig along shallow shoals gets them going OR trolling (flat line at or near the surface) will get them to take ...... but it's a time of year where they just seem to be indecisive.

I find jigging always works - but the lakers are hanging out high in the water column after ice out - so finding a few on the bottom, in any numbers, is hit and miss.

Esox
04-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Just because the water is cold doesn't mean they're all shallow or all in tight against shore. I've been successful on opening day using downriggers as deep as 120 feet. That being said I've also flatlined spoons. The fish are spread out because water temps allow them to go anywhere they want not like in summer when shallow water is to warm. Find the bait, find the fish. They're always biting somewhere. If you're site fishing them use the standard tube jigs or buck tails but also don't be scared to throw a jigging rap or rattl trap either. In your case maybe the majority of the fish are in the part of the lake that's still under ice...

Arnak
04-22-2015, 04:43 PM
I'll try to jigg them out for a change. I never done that with lake trout. Anything to improve my result on that first day out is appreciate cause really this is my worst. The weeks after I'm never too worry.

I'm bad for the lure industry and whatever I fish for walleye, trout or pike I use a medium size Len thompson toronto wobbler or a cheap jigg. Maybe it's time I try new tricks.

TROLLER
04-22-2015, 06:11 PM
First ice off I like to troll with a sinking fly line. Quite light about a 4 and the spoon typically is only 6-8 ft. down.

Lot's of fun when they hit it on the fly rod.