PDA

View Full Version : Spring trout pond fishing

Spawn
04-23-2015, 03:30 AM
Lets start a discussion on methods and lures we've used and had some good luck with in spring pond fishing for rainbows.

I'd like to open this thread on spin casting methods.

I've never done early spring pond fishing for trout so all input would be great.

Spawn,
:)

Og Dumi
04-23-2015, 06:59 AM
I caught lots last weekend with a no.7 five of diamonds with the gold back.

waterninja
04-23-2015, 08:21 AM
One important lesson I've learned about spring fishing trout is that they like to hang out in the shallows near shore.

Deep
04-23-2015, 08:46 AM
First and most successful lure is a "Panther Martin"- my favorite one is yellow and black. The small ones catch a great number of fish, besides trout.

iYearn
04-23-2015, 01:27 PM
chironomids below a slip bobber.

Lets start a discussion on methods and lures we've used and had some good luck with in spring pond fishing for rainbows.

I've never done early spring pond fishing for trout so all input would be great.

Spawn,

Mark
04-23-2015, 01:58 PM
Leach or woolly bugger on a sinking line or trolled with a couple of BB weights.

Slow slow slow. dark olive green always the best colour for me.

Squidlips
04-23-2015, 02:17 PM
Lindy rig an air filled night crawler. Tie a slip sinker on with a split shot or swivel as a stopper and some floating bait on your hook power bait paste and the millions of other trout baits will do the trick with the correct rig I prefer filling worms with air or even leaving them as is and catching some suckers off the bottom.

chriscosta
04-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Worms any way you can get them to the fish

greylynx
04-23-2015, 05:59 PM
A Siene net usually can feed yours and the extended family for a week.:)

bowness
04-23-2015, 07:49 PM
A Siene net usually can feed yours and the extended family for a week.:)

Why is it in the forum that there are always elitist comments towards anyone who wants to eat a fish? Its bull *&^^^

spinN'flyfish
04-23-2015, 09:50 PM

Spawn,

my first spring for fly fishing too. :) I'm guessing leeches (wooly buggers), princes, copper johns, hares ear, and scuds would work under with or without an indicator. Maybe even a SJW. What chironomids seem to hatching? (red, green, grey or does it differ for every lake?) I think I had few that i bought last year.... Now I just need the time and some fish to bite :)

dannypee
04-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Small minnow under a bobber has been deadly for me great fun

dodger
04-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Small minnow under a bobber has been deadly for me great fun

This is interesting. For as far back as I can remember you could not use minnows in any of the lakes/ponds stocked with Trout. Going through this years regs, I can not for the life of me find any mention of "NOT" being able to use minnows for bait in the PP zones ??

Confused Dodger.

Brandonkop
04-24-2015, 10:02 PM
I thought I would give my two cents since a totally under utilized technique in Canada for Spring and responsible for catching numerous monster trout south of the border is micro jig fishing. I was talking to a fishing buddy and was like how come these fellow Canucks don't jig fish for trout??? He was like what do you mean we have a guy who sells the stuff. Wee-Hours Tackle sells the micro stuff for micro jig trout fishing. You can probably find micro jigs all over he place though, fishin hole, wholesale, cabelas... Anyways, try it out if you haven't given it a shot yet this spring. I love this video out at Dolberg in the Spring... I've never fished it, but looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmPppTBIr0

The secret is to use a long light rod and no more than 4 pound test line, slow retrieve with constant bouncing of the rod tip. Drives em crazy. Nailed four big ones last night with this technique in a matter of an hour, just using half a white berkley trout worm on a micro jig.

chriscosta
04-25-2015, 09:12 PM
What doc said ...white body red head tipped with maggots will certainly catch ALL game fish im sure that every species of fish ive caught has fallen for this at some point in my life ...o e of my go to setups really ...good call brandon

huntsfurfish
04-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Jigs are the most versatile "lure" out there. All our game fish can be caught using a jig. My favorite method for a lot of species.

Photohawk
04-26-2015, 12:24 PM
I thought I would give my two cents since a totally under utilized technique in Canada for Spring and responsible for catching numerous monster trout south of the border is micro jig fishing. I was talking to a fishing buddy and was like how come these fellow Canucks don't jig fish for trout??? He was like what do you mean we have a guy who sells the stuff. Wee-Hours Tackle sells the micro stuff for micro jig trout fishing. You can probably find micro jigs all over he place though, fishin hole, wholesale, cabelas... Anyways, try it out if you haven't given it a shot yet this spring. I love this video out at Dolberg in the Spring... I've never fished it, but looks fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmPppTBIr0

The secret is to use a long light rod and no more than 4 pound test line, slow retrieve with constant bouncing of the rod tip. Drives em crazy. Nailed four big ones last night with this technique in a matter of an hour, just using half a white berkley trout worm on a micro jig.
:sSig_cool2: