PDA

View Full Version : Affordable Fish Finder

Double-Eh
04-23-2015, 10:44 AM
I've been searching up and down for information on this. I wonder what affordable fish finder you may recommend for my boat? It's a 16 foot with 80hp merc. It came with an eagle 4 finder on it, but it conked out this summer and I never managed to learn how to use it or any other finder. I have an LX3tc for hard water. What are your suggestions? Do you feel there's something under 300 or less that is worthwhile?

Sea Hawk
04-23-2015, 12:18 PM
If you are planning to upgrade, you should consider a unit that has gps capability as well as a sounder. Using the two features together will definitely improve your fishing.

EZM
04-23-2015, 01:56 PM
I 100% agree. A GPS feature allows you to find some great fishing spots, honey holes, and structure, mark them and find them the next time you are out there.

By far the best unit for the money with both these features is this one .... and under $ 300

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/64101/lowrance-mark-4-hdi-w-downscan-combo

That's what I'd get if I had that same budget in mind.

Walleyedude
04-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Lowrance Elite 4 HDI. Color LED screen, GPS, 2D and HDI Down Imaging, Insight Genesis mapping, and compatible with the ice fishing pack for year round use.

On sale right now at The Fishin Hole for $300 -

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=28398

That's a smokin' good deal on a great unit.

Muskeg
04-23-2015, 03:07 PM
Someone in the buy/sell here has a lowrance hds 5
Brand new in box for 400 I think. I use one and it's great,
Plus you can add the structure scan and lss transducer
As a 3d mapper of the bottom when you can afford it.
Has GPS, sweet little unit and at that price it's a good buy!

Sigmet
04-24-2015, 03:51 PM
I got my HDS-5 on clearance from CT for $300, regular $700. Not sure if they still have any but great deal.

tirebob
04-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Lowrance Elite 4 HDI. Color LED screen, GPS, 2D and HDI Down Imaging, Insight Genesis mapping, and compatible with the ice fishing pack for year round use.

On sale right now at The Fishin Hole for $300 -

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=28398

That's a smokin' good deal on a great unit.
Forgive my ignorance, but when they say it has a built in GPS antenna, does that mean it is an actual replacment for a GPS unit like a Garmin etc, or does it mean they are compatible to run integrated GPS if you have a unit already that can hook up with it?

I too am looking for a fishfinder and GPS all in one rather than having a seperate handheld garmin or the like for GPS...

Walleyedude
04-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but when they say it has a built in GPS antenna, does that mean it is an actual replacment for a GPS unit like a Garmin etc, or does it mean they are compatible to run integrated GPS if you have a unit already that can hook up with it?

I too am looking for a fishfinder and GPS all in one rather than having a seperate handheld garmin or the like for GPS...

Yes, the GPS antennae is built in on this unit, no need for another GPS source, it's all in one.