PDA

View Full Version : Camping at Winefred lake?

Kurt505
04-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Is there a campground up there? I'm thinking of taking a tent and a boat up there this spring, just wondering what kind of accommodations are out there. Drinking water, washrooms, firewood, boat launch, that sort of thing.

CK Angler
04-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Not really... There's a sketchy public launch, if it's wet it's a real pain getting in.

There's no campground there, a few cut outs for tents but nothing maintained.

The lodge rents out tent camps that are pretty nice, $80 a night. Wood cots and wood burning stove. They have a real shallow launch though, can be fun launching if you have a bigger boat. Amd they charge ya to use their launch, about $60, and they have been know to turn ppl away if thier "to busy"

Kurt505
04-25-2015, 04:30 PM
Not really... There's a sketchy public launch, if it's wet it's a real pain getting in.

There's no campground there, a few cut outs for tents but nothing maintained.

The lodge rents out tent camps that are pretty nice, $80 a night. Wood cots and wood burning stove. They have a real shallow launch though, can be fun launching if you have a bigger boat. Amd they charge ya to use their launch, about $60, and they have been know to turn ppl away if thier "to busy"

I've got a 17ft Lund pro sport and a 4x4 with 33" tires, would I be ok? As far as camping goes I have a 14x16 wall tent, wood stove, cots, stoves, the works. I suppose the lodge owners don't take kindly to outsiders huh?

Pixel Shooter
04-25-2015, 04:40 PM
your better going in with a tinner. that last 20km is ugly and much uglier when wet. wouldn't be towing my boat in lol. their is a reason people pay money to go fish and have everything provided

Kurt505
04-25-2015, 04:45 PM
your better going in with a tinner. that last 20km is ugly and much uglier when wet. wouldn't be towing my boat in lol. their is a reason people pay money to go fish and have everything provided

I like and trust my boat, and I only have the one.

Maybe I should throw a set of 33's on the trailer! I just happen to have a spare set :)

Sea Hawk
04-25-2015, 05:48 PM
If you really like your boat, do not drag it on that road. You would probably end up with some gravel rash.

Kurt505
04-25-2015, 06:13 PM
If you really like your boat, do not drag it on that road. You would probably end up with some gravel rash.

I bought one of those Teflon V shaped guards that go in the front, it protects the boat pretty good, I'm actually more worried about a rock taking out my windshield, but that can happen anywhere. A

I can camp anywhere, at least anywhere I'm allowed, I just want to know what to bring, mostly as far as drinking water and firewood goes.

I've kind of got it in my mind that Winefred is on the list of where I'm going this year, I don't mind spending 2hrs to travel the last 20km, I drive 12-16 hrs to go to the other places I like to fish, so 4-8hrs is not out of the question. If I can launch my boat there, I'm willing to give it a shot as far as getting there goes.

Mistagin
04-25-2015, 07:12 PM
You can camp at Grist Lake, their campground is basic but we've enjoyed it there. Bring your own everything. Lots of spiders in the outhouse!!! I think it was $20.00 a night.

Like others have said, the public ramp at Winifred is a pita - steep entry, shallow water, lots of rocks. I checked it out last summer, and I wouldn't even launch my 14.5 Princecraft Resorter there. The road in - well you might as well take the wheels off and put skids on the trailer!!! And if the wind is wrong - yikes!

Of course, you could just fish Grist Lake if ya camp there anyway. Lakers in that lake :).

Positrac
04-25-2015, 07:21 PM
I thought Winifred and Grist were connected by water and what fish were in one lake were in the other? Can you get from one lake to the other by boat?

Penner
04-26-2015, 08:29 AM
I thought Winifred and Grist were connected by water and what fish were in one lake were in the other? Can you get from one lake to the other by boat?

No they are not connected.

Xbolt7mm
04-26-2015, 08:57 AM
You can camp at Grist Lake, their campground is basic but we've enjoyed it there. Bring your own everything. Lots of spiders in the outhouse!!! I think it was $20.00 a night.

Like others have said, the public ramp at Winifred is a pita - steep entry, shallow water, lots of rocks. I checked it out last summer, and I wouldn't even launch my 14.5 Princecraft Resorter there. The road in - well you might as well take the wheels off and put skids on the trailer!!! And if the wind is wrong - yikes!

Of course, you could just fish Grist Lake if ya camp there anyway. Lakers in that lake :).

Walleye too

Xbolt7mm
04-26-2015, 09:02 AM

They are connected by water but not accessible with a boat, the walleye got into grist years back during the spring flood that washed out all the beaver dams between the two

TROLLER
04-26-2015, 09:23 AM
I bought one of those Teflon V shaped guards that go in the front, it protects the boat pretty good, I'm actually more worried about a rock taking out my windshield, but that can happen anywhere. A

I can camp anywhere, at least anywhere I'm allowed, I just want to know what to bring, mostly as far as drinking water and firewood goes.

I've kind of got it in my mind that Winefred is on the list of where I'm going this year, I don't mind spending 2hrs to travel the last 20km, I drive 12-16 hrs to go to the other places I like to fish, so 4-8hrs is not out of the question. If I can launch my boat there, I'm willing to give it a shot as far as getting there goes.

You sure seem determined and I admire you for that. However seems quite a few have given you several reasons to not risk damage to your units. Up to you but maybe you can borrow a tinny for this one particular trip or an inflatable.

Kurt505
04-26-2015, 09:27 AM
There looks like there are three boat launches on Google maps. It looks like there are 2 lodges and just one road that ends at the lake closest to Grist.

I thought there was only 1 lodge?

Kurt505
04-26-2015, 09:36 AM
You sure seem determined and I admire you for that. However seems quite a few have given you several reasons to not risk damage to your units. Up to you but maybe you can borrow a tinny for this one particular trip or an inflatable.

It's not looking like an easy trip, I guess worst case scinario after going that far and not being able to get in the water I could go to Grist or Christina. With all the gas and oil exploration now it's not as remote as it was 25yrs ago when we would drive back in there.

CK Angler
04-26-2015, 10:16 AM
There looks like there are three boat launches on Google maps. It looks like there are 2 lodges and just one road that ends at the lake closest to Grist.

Winefred lake outfitters is up there and Winefred lake lodge. I have never been to the outfitters, but I've heard he has a much better launch.

Don't know About the outfitters, but Winefred lake lodge doesn't allow for any tents.

I used to pull a 1775 Lund classic in their with a 90 on the back. I did damage to the boat over the years because of the road coming in, I was able to launch it at the lodge without to much difficulties because my trailer had rollers so we could rock it off. Bunkers woulda been a whole different story...

I personally wouldnt have even tried at the public launch.

cube
04-27-2015, 10:17 AM
Fish n Canada just had a show on this past weekend (was on earlier this year as well) that took place on Winefred lake. They had two new Prince Craft boats pulled in for the show so it it's not too muddy you should be able to do it as well. The show title was "COOPER/FISH’N CANADA CHALLENGE"
http://fishncanada.com/episode-447-cooperfishn-canada-challenge/

They even give a gps point there was well.

Good luck

pikeslayer22
04-27-2015, 10:25 AM

The second one could be the Forestry cabin... thats all for structures that i have ever seen out there

Blastoff
04-27-2015, 10:42 AM
I would just go slow on that road you will be fine, years ago we camped on Banana Island didn't pay anything stayed in our wall tent. Call Trapper Paul and use his boat launch, not sure I think you can drive there, someone here should know.

Hunter Trav
04-27-2015, 01:27 PM
PM sent...;)

Safety D
04-28-2015, 01:19 PM
Fred is NOT DEAD !!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Kurt505
04-28-2015, 01:22 PM
Fred is NOT DEAD !!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Sounds like getting there might kill you though!

dodgeboy1979
04-28-2015, 01:33 PM
The road in isn't too bad, just take your time. Word of advise though if you get alot of rain the road coming out is terrible. There isn't alot of gravel on it so make sure you have a good set of tires.

Safety D
04-28-2015, 01:37 PM
GO to Pauls easy peasy. Hes just a ******** and thinks hes the king of Fred.. Good launching but will bend you over to launch. I think 50 bucks. Worth it though great fishing

Kurt505
04-29-2015, 07:26 PM
Well, after a few beers and little consideration I figure im gonna try it. Once in Conklin I'm going to have a few more beers and make it to Winefred 100% guaranteed. My trailer, well it'll make it, just might have a couple battle scares, and with my high wall tent I'll be able to camp anywhere!

Thank you to all who offered me advise, I will send you pics and updates from my trip!

Safety D
05-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Just pack all your stuff into your boat and launch at Pauls. The road is pretty good going in no issues pulling your boat in. Set up on Banana Island then your near all the good fishing. Good Luch and post when you do your trip.... Safety

Talking moose
05-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Good luck. Great Lake.

Lowrance Fishburn
05-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Stay at the lodge if u can afford it, its pretty top notch but as mentioned, bring your truck. The road in is a pure mud bog for 15 kms or so. Saw a group of guys last year roll in in a ford escape with the front bumper busted off just dangling busted in half scraping on the road when they came in lol. For a true wilderness experience launch at trapper Pauls and camp on Banana island. Heads up though, lots of mice.

I'll be out there the weekends of the 22nd and 29th of may PM me for more info

Safety D
05-07-2015, 12:54 PM
The roadshs brutal into the lodge. I wouldnt even think about pulling my boat in there. Much better to go into Winefred outfitters. I am rigging my boat up so 2 guys can sleep comfy in it this year. Be perfect fred !!!!!

LCCFisherman
05-07-2015, 01:33 PM
I've seen alot of trucks stuck on that sucker and everytime I go in there I get grayer...

SteveY66
05-07-2015, 02:05 PM
I'll be there june 15-18

Had an absolute blast last year.

If anyone has any tips it would be great, the first day we were out was very slow but the next three really picked up!!

Only problem is I cant find the jigs they liked! It was my old stash and mr twister doesn't make them anymore!

CK Angler
05-07-2015, 02:06 PM
I wish I had pictures still to show you guys what that road can do.. After a few years of going to Winefred with my 1775 Lund the transom started to pull away at the gunnel.. The two support brackets both snapped. The windshield broke, my travel cover snaps broke... It damn near wrecked my boat.

Sold the boat, ate my losses, and only go back now with a tinner.

Safety D
05-07-2015, 02:17 PM
I went in there to Grist while we had that big warm snap in March. What a nightmere but road to Pauls was great. fishing was dead though on Fred

Lowrance Fishburn
05-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Ya don't pull your boat in there unless you want more screws loose than the ones in your head.

Mid June the fishing is still very good but the Walleye bite tends to be more on and many of the big mother pike have retreated to deeper water and are harder to catch once they've spawned out, fed and moved out of the shallows. Great time of year for Walters though, i know a cpl spots near the river inlets but you'll need a depth finder as the shelf's are far from shore. PM me for details.

Kurt505
05-07-2015, 04:51 PM
Can't a guy just drive slow for the last 15km? I've been down some real nasty trails before without wrecking anything on my truck, I can only imagine if I had a 17ft Lund behind my truck id most likely keep a light foot.

CK Angler
05-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Can't a guy just drive slow for the last 15km? I've been down some real nasty trails before without wrecking anything on my truck, I can only imagine if I had a 17ft Lund behind my truck id most likely keep a light foot.

Light foot, take your time. I can't remember if you said you had a rock guard or not, would recommend one. It's do able, don't get me wrong, but like I said I messed a boat up pretty good from hauling it in there a bunch of times to the lodge. There's a reason the road is in a **** condition, if everyone could haul boats in how else would they get ya to rent one? Lol

Kurt505
05-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Light foot, take your time. I can't remember if you said you had a rock guard or not, would recommend one. It's do able, don't get me wrong, but like I said I messed a boat up pretty good from hauling it in there a bunch of times to the lodge. There's a reason the road is in a **** condition, if everyone could haul boats in how else would they get ya to rent one? Lol

Ya, I've got the Teflon rock guard on my trailer.

I know that's the reason the road is so rustic, but it keeps the lake in good shape I guess. It sounds like a risk vs reward trip.

LCCFisherman
05-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I seem to have good weather going in and than always bad coming out.. oh man the gray hairs..

canadiantdi
05-09-2015, 07:45 AM
I never had any major issues going in with my 14ft aluminum hauled by a Tacoma. Great Lake. Went with two buddies one time and all three of us caught our PB pike... Go for it!