PDA

View Full Version : Yellowknife and Area

dvers749
04-27-2015, 01:30 AM
Hi,

Moving up to Yellowknife for the next 4 months for work, does anyone have any areas to suggest I get some fishing in? I would prefer to start with inconnu and greyling, char and other species not typically found in southern alberta. Any help?

thanks guys

Arnak
04-27-2015, 07:01 AM
Around here for Greyling I would first suggest you drive from Yellowknife to Kakisa. There should be 2-3 weeks of good greyling fishing starting like right now or next week.
Otherwise you will have to wait for Great Slave lake to open and find a boat to try near the island after Dettah. I caught a few there.

As for inconnue, while I believe most is caught in nets, I hear more and more about people catching them right in Yellowknife Bay. It's also the time for nice large lake trout in the Bay (right after it open).

Good luck and enjoy the summer under the midnight sun

Edit: At kakisa you can camp at the campground and if not open yet, there is a day rest area along the road. Right at the day rest area is the river and the bridge and that's one good spot to look for them. Many fish at the fall in the campground to. That report (http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/101628.pdf) is old but I like page 4 lol

Arnak
04-27-2015, 10:57 AM
Since you probably won't have a boat up here I'm adding Bighill Lake to the list for Lake trout. I caught trouts right from shore early in the season on that lake (right after the lake open).

To find the spot:
http://www.findmespot.com/spotadventures/index.php/view_adventure?tripid=325563

It's a nice hike

HighlandHeart
04-28-2015, 10:59 PM
You won't find char around Yellowknife, but if you can make friends with someone who backcountry canoe camps and can get into Hidden Lake you will easily catch big pike and lakers just casting a five of diamonds spoon. If you make friends with someone who has a motor boat, get them to take you down to a spot know locally as the "mink farm" or the "Pike Hole" and you can catch decent sized pike all day. If you can't find anyone or pay anyone to take you out on a boat, you can drive about 30 minutes out to Pontoon lake and catch pike from the rocks just beside the road. If you can't drive, throw a spoon in the water at Jackfish lake or in the water by the rocks at Air Tindi down in Old Town. Don't forget to always use a steel leader up there, and enjoy the 24 hour daylight. I lived there for a few years, PM me if you have any other questions.

dvers749
05-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys, this helps a lot. it seems like a lot of people up here are not willing to discuss spots but will talk about how good of luck they have. Even just spots where it is not great but will get one or two is fine by me to just get started but nothing for the most part from many. Thanks for the info

Bhflyfisher
05-04-2015, 07:40 PM
I remember catching decent pike off the rocks near con mine. Saw one very nice one there, but also took a day out with carlos gonzales (yellowknife outdoor adventures i think) in his boat, we caught lots of larger than average pike on flies and had one come to the boat pushing high 40"s, but the big hen took off last minute. Had many 32-36" pike as well as a couple in the 38-42" range.

ykdk
05-29-2015, 11:28 PM
All the spots listed above are good starting points. Really hard to go wrong fishing up here. Enjoy!