PDA

View Full Version : Walleye draw's?

ice
04-27-2015, 07:07 PM
This is my first year doing walleye draws. I can't find a solid answer. If I put in a draw on class b, can I put in for another draw on class b, and if so on the same lakes?

4x4bowhunter
04-27-2015, 08:06 PM
No, you can not apply again for the class B draw. You can apply for the Class A & Class C draws, same lake or different lake. When the draws are completed, they draw Class A first, then B, then C. As soon as you get drawn for any of the draws, you get eliminated from the remaining draws. "you can only hold one walleye draw per year". If you get drawn for Class A then you get eliminated from the Class B and Class C draws. If you do not get drawn for the Class A draw, you might get drawn for the Class B draw. If so then you will be eliminated from the Class C draw. If not drawn for for the Class A or Class B draws, then you might get drawn for the Class C draw.

ghostguy6
04-27-2015, 09:46 PM
When you apply you are given the option of applying for up to 3 lakes for some classes. If you win one that is all you get.

An Alberta Resident may apply for all 3
draws but may only be drawn in one.
Draws will be conducted in this order:
l
Walleye (Class A) first, Walleye (Class B)
second, and Walleye (Class C) third.
l
Applicants drawn in a walleye draw will be
eliminated from the subsequent draws.
For example my class B draw, :
(2015) 61 - Walleye Class B
Group Leader(36915771)
Choices:
1. 701(Pigeon)
Choices:
2. 711(Baptiste)
Choices:
3. 713 (Lac St. Anne)

If I am awarded Pigeon, then I will not get Baptiste or Lac St. Anne.

The draws are explained here:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/Walleye-Draws-Brochure-2015.pdf

ice
04-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks guy's

Walleye101
04-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Make it easy and go to a lake where you can keep a Walleye without a stupid tag. Or go to a store and buy some to support the commercial fisherman who pay big bucks for their licenses. The Alberta tag system is a complete joke.

Northern Yaker
04-29-2015, 12:42 PM
Don't support the commercial fishery whatever you do.
Nothing but harm comes from the commercial fisheries in this province.

Dan Foss
04-29-2015, 02:48 PM
Make it easy and go to a lake where you can keep a Walleye without a stupid tag. Or go to a store and buy some to support the commercial fisherman who pay big bucks for their licenses. The Alberta tag system is a complete joke.

I think you have been away from the game too long bud.... Commercial fishing is shut down in alberta.

Also, out of curiosity, how did you you scheme up a connection between buying a walleye tag and supporting commercial fishing.....

Pikey
04-29-2015, 07:10 PM
The Alberta tag system is a complete joke.

Without a tag system, there's only a "closed" system or a "extirpated" system - that's what happens with very few lakes and very many anglers.

To ever have thought there should be a commercial system in Alberta is the joke.

Kim473
04-30-2015, 06:17 AM
I wish the tags would let you go to say two or three differante lakes to fill them. JMO

Walleye101
04-30-2015, 11:00 AM
Store bought Walleye comes from Lake Winnipeg. I know there is no commercial fishery here in Alberta. And a slot sized limit would work on most lakes that have tag limits. I have heard this from numerous conservation officers but they have they're hands tied. I personally don't buy tags. It's a cash cow for the government that receives a hefty amount already from me in income tax. Pike are good enough for me when the Walleye limit is zero. Just throw the big ones back though please.

dodgeboy1979
04-30-2015, 11:28 AM
Store bought Walleye comes from Lake Winnipeg. I know there is no commercial fishery here in Alberta. And a slot sized limit would work on most lakes that have tag limits. I have heard this from numerous conservation officers but they have they're hands tied. I personally don't buy tags. It's a cash cow for the government that receives a hefty amount already from me in income tax. Pike are good enough for me when the Walleye limit is zero. Just throw the big ones back though please.

Couldn't agree more, i won't spend a dime on tags. I have always liked the slot system and it has been proven effective in other provinces.

skidderman
04-30-2015, 12:35 PM
I won't buy any more either. To have to go to that degree to catch three lousy fish is nuts. I wish everyone would boycott it.

Dan Foss
04-30-2015, 01:39 PM
Couldn't agree more, i won't spend a dime on tags. I have always liked the slot system and it has been proven effective in other provinces.

You cant really use other provinces as a solid example though. The statistics are way too skewed because of the number of fishable waterways in alberta compared to the number of anglers. It may work in other provinces but not necessarily here with higher pressure per fishable KM. I am not saying it wouldn't work. I would like to see them try the slot size / do some research into it. My main point is you just cant use the logic of it working elsewhere, so it would work here. Another thing is, you also need the force to police a slot size. Easy to police zero retention with the public being on the lookout for a particular kind of fish being kept. Introducing a retention would likely also reduce the number of RAP calls for uncertainty if it fits in the slot. Not that this be a justification for zero retention, but reality is, Alberta does have the force in place and is not likely to fund one

I agree that the tags are a cash cow. Especially since you have to buy into the draw then pay for the tags. I do buy tags, but not for the same reason as most people. I think of the tags that myself and my father bought last year... 3 went unfilled. and it wasn't because we didn't fish the lake or catch the fish to fill it

Gerv
04-30-2015, 02:14 PM
I personally think the tag system is a great way to manage the walleye, in the lakes in my area anyway (Iosegun and Smoke). My whole life you could always go out and catch plenty of walleye but nearly every one was half an inch under the size limit. We would fish the lakes every weekend and in the whole summer we would maybe catch 1-2 keepers. They tried making the limit bigger, several times. as well as the slot limit. But every year all of the fish within the keeper size were harvested. Now with the tag system and the limited harvest of the larger fish, the size of the walleye is improving, and if you want to keep some for the pan, the class c tags are easily filled in the first outing. As far as being a cash cow, it costs about the same as a tub of minnows, and less than a len Thompson spoon, of which I probably loose a dozen on snags in one season. Considering the thousands of dollars many of us have invested into our fishing equipment, I don't see why so many feel this is an unreasonable price to pay.

cube
04-30-2015, 04:04 PM
I agree that the tags are a cash cow.

Especially since you have to buy into the draw then pay for the tags. I do buy tags, but not for the same reason as most people. I think of the tags that myself and my father bought last year... 3 went unfilled. and it wasn't because we didn't fish the lake or catch the fish to fill it

Since all the Money goes to pay for the administration of the draw I think the province looses money on the tags so I don't think it's a cash cow. At least not for the Government.

Why did you not choose to fill your tags? Given the Biologists use the tags to manage the lake so things do not get too out of whack they want you to fill those tags and harvest those fish in those slots. Hence, I have always tried to fill tem by seasons end.

Habfan
04-30-2015, 04:55 PM
I wish the tags would let you go to say two or three differante lakes to fill them. JMO

Now there's an idea !!:)

Habfan
04-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Why not just put every lake on a draw ? They could issue from 1 to thousands, depending on the amount of walleyes in said lakes ! This zero limit on lakes that were stocked 20 years ago has got to end !!

Dan Foss
05-01-2015, 07:39 AM
Since all the Money goes to pay for the administration of the draw I think the province looses money on the tags so I don't think it's a cash cow. At least not for the Government.

Why did you not choose to fill your tags? Given the Biologists use the tags to manage the lake so things do not get too out of whack they want you to fill those tags and harvest those fish in those slots. Hence, I have always tried to fill tem by seasons end.

The 3 dollar fee goes to administration of the draw. Hard to see the 8.00 to actually buy the tag also going to administration. I could be wrong, I have no insider information to support my claim.

I will fill the first tag if I am out camping for the weekend. shore dinner. but I typically dont like taking them home and having to fillet them at 2 am. My second tag I hang on to looking for that perfect fish that would look good up on a wall. Then it gets close to the end of the season and I say, "I dont want to fill it today, I will probably still get out one more time...." knowing if I fill it and do get out one more time, thats when that beast will come around. then, oops unfilled.

cube
05-01-2015, 11:06 AM
The 3 dollar fee goes to administration of the draw. Hard to see the 8.00 to actually buy the tag also going to administration. I could be wrong, I have no insider information to support my claim. About 15 years a go the government tracked the cost for doing one piece of financial transaction. Back then it took $35-$50 in time etc to process each one. I know that the $8.00 cost of a WIN goes solely to the computer company that does the processing, hence, I am pretty confident that 8 buck to process the licence and what ever for cost on getting and delivering tags etc leaves no excess money for the gov't.

I will fill the first tag if I am out camping for the weekend. shore dinner. but I typically dont like taking them home and having to fillet them at 2 am. My second tag I hang on to looking for that perfect fish that would look good up on a wall. Then it gets close to the end of the season and I say, "I dont want to fill it today, I will probably still get out one more time...." knowing if I fill it and do get out one more time, thats when that beast will come around. then, oops unfilled.]Sounds about right. That's the reason allot of my tags get filled ice fishing in March :) .