PDA

View Full Version : no luck with trout....

camping4life
04-28-2015, 03:10 PM
I just started fishing again after many many years. Been out the past few mornings and evenings with no catches as of yet.
I am using 4 lb. test with a #14 treble hook and weight at the bottom with the hook about 20" above. For bait I am using berkley power gulp trout (garlic scent). I have tried actually a few of berkley trout baits and nothing.
Today I also went with a couple spinners.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

NEWB
04-28-2015, 03:18 PM
I just started fishing again after many many years. Been out the past few mornings and evenings with no catches as of yet.
I am using 4 lb. test with a #14 treble hook and weight at the bottom with the hook about 20" above. For bait I am using berkley power gulp trout (garlic scent). I have tried actually a few of berkley trout baits and nothing.
Today I also went with a couple spinners.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

Are you fishing stocked ponds?

If you are, try to use bait that the fish were raised on.

When I first started for trout in the stocked ponds I was getting skunked time after time. One guy who was landing a trout cast after cast realized I was not catching a thing. He came over an gave me a few pointers on what to use including hooks. Immediately after I started catching the trout and was very thankful to him.

I started using a single hook, with a small marshmellow, and some pink and yellow power bait with a weight about 1-2 inches from the hook.

Hope this helps.

camping4life
04-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Are you fishing stocked ponds?

If you are, try to use bait that the fish were raised on.

When I first started for trout in the stocked ponds I was getting skunked time after time. One guy who was landing a trout cast after cast realized I was not catching a thing. He came over an gave me a few pointers on what to use including hooks. Immediately after I started catching the trout and was very thankful to him.

I started using a single hook, with a small marshmellow, and some pink and yellow power bait with a weight about 1-2 inches from the hook.

Hope this helps.

I'm fishing victor lake by grande cache. It is stocked but last time was in 2013 with rainbow. I will give that a try! thanks

NEWB
04-28-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm fishing victor lake by grande cache. It is stocked but last time was in 2013 with rainbow. I will give that a try! thanks

For sure.

Others may have better advice and be more helpful.

I was in Upper Kananaskis last year and used a few different colors of buzz bombs. they were supposed to be pretty good...I only caught one trout (just under legal size) and that was by trolling with it..

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to trout. :)

Red Bullets
04-28-2015, 03:40 PM
If you see fish rising you might want to try a doc spratley fly or royal coachman fly six feet behind a clear float. Retrieved slow enough that you don't leave a wake with the float. Watch 6 feet behind the float for the strike.

Hardware...
-3 or 4 cm. Silver or gold castmaster spoon or a small 5 of diamonds len thompson spoon.
-5 cm. rapala with trout coloring.
- if you are in a boat try a flatfish, silver or yellow with spots.

Wild&Free
04-28-2015, 04:01 PM
This time of year back home we'd have good luck with bumblebee patterned flies, or small bright spinners.

Brandonkop
04-28-2015, 07:42 PM
Here you go this is how you catch trout with Powerbait or Gulp trout dough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUU3pRe1TTQ

I give all the instructions.

edmhunter
04-28-2015, 07:58 PM
The deadliest system to catch trout is a Worm Threader with night drawlers, blown up with a worm blower!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og9isKzhDBs

Same setup us this video, but instead of a treble hook I use a #4 of 6Gamakatsu hook, then I blow up the worm with the worm with the Worm Blower.

The worm free floats and wiggles like crazy and even the finickiest and BIGGEST educated trout can't resist it, catch lots of big ones in the spring with this system.

Give it a try it's a Trout Killing System!!!! Good Luck!

waterninja
04-28-2015, 09:00 PM
X2 on dew worms. Iv'e never blown mine up with air, but 1/2 a dew worm threaded on a #6 or 8 j hook and simply cast in the water has always worked for me. Give it a twitch once in awhile.

EZM
04-28-2015, 09:15 PM
Stocked Trout = Velvetta cheese ball, Shrimp, power bait worms on a small hook.

Natural Trout = flies, spinners, worms.

That's what I'd try first.

edmhunter
04-28-2015, 09:30 PM
X2 on dew worms. Iv'e never blown mine up with air, but 1/2 a dew worm threaded on a #6 or 8 j hook and simply cast in the water has always worked for me. Give it a twitch once in awhile.

The bigger the worm the better eh waternija?

Blow them up next time, twice as effective, I have been doing it for years, the trout just can resist it. hehe

dannypee
04-28-2015, 09:44 PM
4lb test mono or fluro
Thrill float (spring type )
Single octo hook no 4 I think :mad0030: ( I flatten my barbs but up to you)
Small split shot about 8inches up from the hook
Single minnow if bait allowed

Bam!!! Trout hammer it

Goodluck:)

Spawn
04-29-2015, 01:31 AM
My daughter has been catching rainbows using a bober and 3/4'' jigs baited with magots.
She does alright with this method.

camping4life
04-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys! I'll try these methods, heading out now :)

Kim473
04-30-2015, 06:23 AM

Ninja knows his rainbows.
Pc of cooked shrimp work on some lakes really good too. If they don't bite that then you can eat the rest your self.

camping4life
05-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Went out last night and actually had a few bites. I used 4 lb. test with a slip float and tapered split shots down the line to a #14 hook. For bait I started with powerbait and didn't get much. Then tried worms and nothing. Lastly I used a small ball of powerbait on the hook shaft and 1/2 a worm on the hook. They took the powerbait and left the worm, twice that happened. lil bastards...

edmhunter
05-01-2015, 01:45 PM
Went out last night and actually had a few bites. I used 4 lb. test with a slip float and tapered split shots down the line to a #14 hook. For bait I started with powerbait and didn't get much. Then tried worms and nothing. Lastly I used a small ball of powerbait on the hook shaft and 1/2 a worm on the hook. They took the powerbait and left the worm, twice that happened. lil bastards...

Go to a red colored #6 Gamakatsu hook. Blow up the DEW worm with a worm blower and let it float, suspended. They will inhale it! lol

camping4life
05-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Go to a red colored #6 Gamakatsu hook. Blow up the DEW worm with a worm blower and let it float, suspended. They will inhale it! lol

Red works eh? what setup do you recommend for the blown up worm?

edmhunter
05-01-2015, 01:52 PM
PM sent :)

The Fisherman Guy
05-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Berkley Powerbait in "Hatchery Pellet"

Elk Chaser
05-02-2015, 12:35 AM
go to walmart and get yourself some whole frozen cooked shrimp, cut into small pieces and try that.

claystone
05-02-2015, 08:52 AM
weight on the bottom go up three feet and tie on a number 10 hook with a leader, put on half a dew worm and put a power bait egg on the end. the egg stays together even after a missed strike. never misses for me.:)

dannypee
05-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Try a whole minnow

camping4life
05-05-2015, 11:10 AM
landed a cpl small ones finally.
Used worms with a slip float and a cpl small split shot weights.
Anyone try flies on a spin reel with a clear float?
I read it can be effective if done right and saves me buying a fly rod for now...

Mitchthefisher
05-05-2015, 11:47 AM
used to fish with a clear float and a fly 2 feet behind with a slow retrieve and it was very effective at times.

bucksman
05-05-2015, 03:37 PM
Here you go this is how you catch trout with Powerbait or Gulp trout dough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUU3pRe1TTQ

I give all the instructions.

i couldnt watch your video, i was too busy watching your rod tip haha

Brandonkop
05-05-2015, 07:29 PM
i couldnt watch your video, i was too busy watching your rod tip haha

Haha... don't worry I got eyes in the back of my head when it comes to fishing.