PDA

View Full Version : Coyote skinning question

shootermcgavin
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Can anyone give me any advice on skinning coyote ears? I have tried the screwdriver method a couple times now and the years tend to rip off near the tips. I am not sure if this matters for auctions but would prefer if all the ear was skinned. Here is a pic to show you what I mean.

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr53/sawyer2k/P1051416.jpg

Thanks for any advice.

Bushmaster
01-05-2009, 08:49 PM
If you are skinning the coyotes for fur sales, skinning the ear out isn't necessary. Just cut off the majority of the butt and any meat/fat involved, rub with borax to help dry it out and thats good enough.
If you are skinning the ears out for other purposes, it is very precise, tedious work. Personally, I use a scalpel, pliers and an ear splitting tool a bit. But mostly, I use pliers and my thumbnail.....

shootermcgavin
01-05-2009, 10:38 PM
OK Thanks

I have been cutting off the majority of the fat/meat/cartilage but Ive noticed they dont dry fast enough and are slipping a bit?

Ill Try the borax.

Bushmaster
01-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Another thing is to pin the ears forward....

shootermcgavin
01-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Why is pinning the ear forward important?

Bushmaster
01-06-2009, 01:12 PM
It allows the air to get at the back of the ear, which is generally the thicker side. I used to pin my ears down...

Are you washing your hides ?? Is that why they aren't drying fast enough?

shootermcgavin
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
I am washing them. Maybe thats why they arent drying fast enough.

Bushmaster
01-06-2009, 03:49 PM
How are you drying them after washing ?? If just boarding and allowing to air dry, I don't think thats enough. I run mine thru a washing machine, full cycle, then thru a dryer for about 15-20 minutes....they aren't 100% dry but are very close to it.

shootermcgavin
01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I run mine through the washing machine full cycle as well but after the spin the fur seems fairly dry (no drips).

I have been putting on the stretcher for 20 hours or so hide out then flip. They are drying well and not slipping except for the ears but I have not used borax or salt to draw moisture out.

I dont have a extra dryer and dont really want to use my clothing dryer for coyotes. At least with the washing machine I can do a bleach rich cylce to clean the washer.

Bushmaster
01-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Actually, I don't find much of a mess in the dryer...the washer is worse.
But I'm single so it may not bother me as much as others.... :D