PDA

View Full Version : Bull Trout Species at Risk Listing

WhitefishLady
05-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Hi guys

Bull trout are being considered as an addition to the federal Species of Risk Act which would give them additonal legal protection. This is only the Saskachewan basin populations (i.e., Bow, Oldman, Red Deer, NSask, etc).

https://www.registrelep-sararegistry.gc.ca/document/default_e.cfm?documentID=881

Just an FYI, they are requesting comments and they are due by July 15.

I don't feel this would impact our ability to fish for them, it is more so habitat protection from industrial/agricultural development (which is the main issue). Angling is more regulated by the province and bull trout are already listed provincially. Could potentially lead to a few more key spawning streams closing for angling but that would be it in my opinion. Westslope cutthroat trout have recently been added to the Species at Risk and as far as I know, there haven't been any impacts to angling. Personally I think this would be a positive thing and is a long time coming.

Not trying to start a debate or anything just letting everyone know so they can comment if they want. :)

Red Bullets
05-04-2015, 02:19 PM
I like that the additional protection would come in the form of federally protecting the bull trout habitat. Hopefully from industry, random OHV recreation.

ddddd05
05-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Well put Red Bullets.

kirbstomps
05-06-2015, 09:28 AM
I like that the additional protection would come in the form of federally protecting the bull trout habitat. Hopefully from industry, random OHV recreation.

I truely hope you're right and it gets better, but how they handle the Ocean fisheries leaves me wondering if it'll matter.