PDA

View Full Version : help me choose a new boat

rena0040
05-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Been shopping around for 2 years and still can't decide what direction to go. Now that my old boat is gone i need to make a decision.

Need something comfortable for family cruising as well as tubing and handle the big lakes when the wind picks up. We fish but mostly jig, cast or watch a slip bobber. A live well and ability for more "hard core" fishing would be a bonus.

price is $30-35k

Here's what I'm looking at so far

new 2014 Glastron gts187 with 250hp rotax
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=3101
pros: tons of fun, no prop for kids playing back there, has a closed cooling system
cons: no live well, not sure how jets handle big water, maintanace may get pricey

-new 2012 Rinker 196 ob with 200hp etec
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=2590
pros: ETEC, lots or freeboard, low maintanance
cons: been sitting on a lot for 3 years, no big rear sun pad

-new 2014 legend xcalibur 18 with 115hp merc
http://www.boattest.ca/boat-tests/multi-species-fish/2012/legend/18-xcalibur/799/2012-legend-18-xcalibur.html
pros: serves both purposes nicely
cons: unsure of legend quality, unsure if 115 hp is enough,

-new 2013 chaparral h20 with either 135 or 190 hp merc i/o
http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?ID=2629
pros: excellent double duty boat
cons: 3.0 seems like it would be a slug, 4.3 is a big thirsty carburated engine, i/o means season is limited when nights drop below 0.

-one of the various 20ft pontoons with a fish and cruise configuration
pros: wife loves them, super comfortable
cons: can only afford to go to 115hp which would make tubing etc less than exciting, mixed reviews on how they handle 3-4ft waves

I'm open to others but must meet the criteria and preferably be 18ft+

Buckhead
05-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Smokercraft Promag 182 - with 115 Opti or 4 stroke.

EZM
05-06-2015, 09:08 AM
No question in my mind what I would do ..... go east, spend less and get a far better boat .....

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-motorboat/markham-york-region/1850-lund-tyee-fish-and-ski/1046891358?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'd be on this one like a fat chick on a cookie.

TROLLER
05-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Legend is a decent boat but 115hp will not last very long for tubing especially on an 18ft. Need to go at least 150

Jet's while nice with no prop are gas eaters like you cannot believe, they are best left to the river guys, not lakers.

Take a good look at Walleye Central, lot's of boats of all shapes and sizes

rena0040
05-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Thanks fellas

Ezm , although it makes no sense, im set on new as ive had a few used now want new. Same reason we all end up buying a new truck at some point.

The legend site says the 18 xcalibur will get to a hair uner 50mph with 115hp command thrust. Not sure how realistic that is but seems plenty fast for me.

Just saw a smokercraft ultima with 150 4s that looks nice but would take some serious negotiating to get itunder budget

I keep looking at the rinker with big etec, love everything about those motors

TROLLER
05-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks fellas

Ezm , although it makes no sense, im set on new as ive had a few used now want new. Same reason we all end up buying a new truck at some point.

The legend site says the 18 xcalibur will get to a hair uner 50mph with 115hp command thrust. Not sure how realistic that is but seems plenty fast for me.

Just saw a smokercraft ultima with 150 4s that looks nice but would take some serious negotiating to get itunder budget

I keep looking at the rinker with big etec, love everything about those motors

No way is an 18footer running a 115 ever going to hit 50 mph. Even a 150 will not get you there. Do not believe everything the mfg. like to publish.

If you want a fun boat for the family you really should consider stepping up to at least 150hp

Good luck

jpohlic
05-06-2015, 02:18 PM
I have a 17' with the 3.0 and it's ok performance wise. The kids enjoy tubing and wakeboarding and the fuel economy is great. However, I would definitely want the 4.3 if the boat was bigger than 17'

duckhunter1
05-06-2015, 02:52 PM
Have a look at the 486 SF by Stratos, some friends of mine have one of these up at Meadow Lake P.P. they have it for about 4 years. they love it, I have fished out of it, it not a tournament boat, but for a family who wants fish, tube etc. I would say the best all round boat. They paid 30ish. comes with a Minn Kota trolling, motor livewell, rod storage etc. my current boat is a 1994 219 DC Stratos (tourney boat) that has seen a lot of water and still running strong.

10 POINT
05-06-2015, 03:00 PM
I had the legend 16 xcal with the 50 on it.

Would max at 35-40, even took it to the Fraser with 4 guys and it managed no probs.

No complaints from me

Positrac
05-06-2015, 03:35 PM
No way is an 18footer running a 115 ever going to hit 50 mph. Even a 150 will not get you there. Do not believe everything the mfg. like to publish.

If you want a fun boat for the family you really should consider stepping up to at least 150hp

Good luck

I ran a fiberglass 17' Tyee made by Malibu with a 1992 Merc 115 2-stroke for quite a few years. It was a heavy boat with a full fiberglass liner, kicker, etc... but it did touch on 50 mph on the gps wound right out and trimmed up in calm water. The 4-strokes don't quite have the same top end but in the lighter, longer tinney you would definitely be in the mid forties wound right out with minimal gear in it. IMHO.

TROLLER
05-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Would max at 35-40, even took it to the Fraser with 4 guys and it managed no probs.

No complaints from me

OK :thinking-006:

Winch101
05-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Kevins Marine

Fort Quappelle Sask.

Best Lund prices on the prairies ....

Go on line ......check the stock .

borchy
05-06-2015, 04:04 PM
I run a 17 foot older aluminum Fisher with a 125 hp and it will do 45ish loaded

npauls
05-06-2015, 04:23 PM

No complaints from me

The speedo on the boat isnt a reliable source.

The guys are talking about actual gpd speeds

I have a 16 foot alumacraft tiller with a brand new 60 hp yamaha and the best i have seen on gps is 33 mph. I might be able to squeeze 35 mph out of it with the right prop but i cant see it going much more then that.

Buckhead
05-06-2015, 04:47 PM
An 18 foot boat will run about 41-43 mph with a 115 and 47-48 with a 150.
The speeds you might see advertised seem to be at sea level where the engine is making more horsepower.

Tubing or watersports with a 115 is more a function of prop selection than anything. Get the right prop and you will be happy.

Nova
05-06-2015, 04:54 PM
I agree with the way EZM is thinking. I bought new 2 years ago. My next boat will almost certainly be something used, 5-ish years old. Something well equipped. The shiny, brand new idea was great but the shine didn't last long. I use my boat to enjoy it. I don't shy away from crappy roads to get to where I want to go. I launch and load on my own. The boat gets scuffed, scratched, chipped and dented.

As far as the Legend goes, you aren't looking at a true 18'. In fact, the boat is smaller overall than almost all of the competitor's boats in the 17-18 foot class. It's only 17.5' long and narrower in the beam than pretty much anything else. Dollar for dollar, there's better value elsewhere.

rena0040
05-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Those stratos look pretty awesome.

The problem with lund is the price. I dont need a tournament quality boat for the bit of fair weather fishing and cruising I do. I would have to compromise with a 16 ft boat with lund to fit my price range and be cramped. For the use it would get, I can compromise a bit of quality for size.

I also prefer the ride of a glass boat

JasonA
05-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Imo, the biggest thing is the motor size. Go big!
115 hp motors typically have cable steering vs hydraulic steering found on the bigger outboards. For reliability go Merc and get a 150 if you want to tow kids around without difficulty.
Getting back to your boat dilemma, not all boats are created equal. Some things to consider are:
1. Degree of the hull to aid in stability and boat control. For instance my small boat (14') has an 11 degree hull, while my big boat (18') has a 17 degree hull.
2. As well the gauge of aluminum shouldn't be overlooked. Even looking at the manufacter websites, the aluminum may be different thickness on the transom than the hull and also between models.
3. Comfort level. If your going to get a fish and ski boat get an interior you don't have to worry about getting fish slimed, rained on, etc.
If I were buying a new boat, I would contact Thane at Free Spirit and Marine (Ranger, Crestliner) or Kevin's Marine iin Sask. While they don't carry any of the brand names you mentioned I would bet you could get a better quality product for relatively the same price. I've owned a few boats and I've found that there's a lot to be said about consistent sales and service reviews. Some dealers can sell you a boat but won't deal with your post-sale issues, other guys can sell you a great boat and not be able to service your boat properly. I think overall consistency says a lot, but always trust your gut too!
Good luck and let us know what you get!:)

Nova
05-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Those stratos look pretty awesome.

The problem with lund is the price. I dont need a tournament quality boat for the bit of fair weather fishing and cruising I do. I would have to compromise with a 16 ft boat with lund to fit my price range and be cramped. For the use it would get, I can compromise a bit of quality for size.

I also prefer the ride of a glass boat

I'd suggest you go sit in everything any anything you can. Space utilization between brands can be very different and beam width becomes a factor too. Going fiberglass you lose a lot of floor space.

I sat in the "18'" Legend you're interested in, then my 1650 Fish Hawk. Hardly noticed a difference. My boat is 8" shorter and 3.5" narrower......for a boat that would be considered 2 classes lower if you look at the name and not the specs.

Ice Fishing Maniac
05-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Rena0040,

My wife and I are looking too for a boat. We missed out on a 2014 Glastron GTS 207 , was a good deal new as the dealer had it since last mMy...sharp looking boat.

We want a boat to do the water sports with the boys and some fishing as well, and prefer the Jet motor style.

Boats we are stilling looking at are the Scarab Impulse HO 195 and 215, the Yamaha Jet Boat prefer the 21 foot range but considering the 242 Limited S and now seriously looking at the Chaparral Vortex in the 223. I must spend an hour every night cruising Auto Trader and Kijiji and dealer websites. We have inquired about the Scarabs an seen them up close. The Chaparral, I want to see, been speaking to 2 dealers in Alberta.

All are jet motors. 3 use the Seadoo motors, and Yamaha is Yamaha motor. I prefer the Scarab over the Glastron for sure....both made by the same manufacturer, just Scarab's fit/finish and details are way higher.

Seen a 2008 Yamaha 212SX yesterday and inquired about it but it sold ...only had 40 hours !!, asking $ 30G . Yamaha has a sale on 2013 models with extra warranty thrown in, total 4 years I believe.

Nice thing with the Chaparral is they have their 50 Year Anniversary and have 5 year Warranty Front to Back on everything. DECISIONS DECSISIONS
:angry3:

This is as bad as the RV shopping we did in 2013.

PerchBuster
05-06-2015, 06:00 PM
If it helps, Legend buys all of their hulls from other boat makers such as Smokercraft, Fisher, Crestliner and Starcraft and then decks them out with their own interiors, trim, paint and Mercury Power etc. These are all quality boat makers but you should know what you're buying and be comfortable with the decision. You may want to consider fuel economy when comparing each model and HP. I personally like using the max HP my boat is rated for but it also comes with considerable cost at the pumps. You will incur more maintenance and thus dollars with a Glass hull compared to Aluminum over the long haul. If you're after a family vessel I would suggest whichever one you go with get it with a Bimini Top. Fold it down when you're tubing and pop it up when you're jigging on those hot sunny days. If the wife & kids are comfortable for a little longer then that's a little more time for you to fish .......er......bait hooks, tie lines, clear bird nests, unhook fish. Nevermind, forget the Bimini lol and just buy a Lund! :sign0161:

Walleye101
05-06-2015, 06:31 PM
Lund Impact 1775. 115 Mercury. You cannot go wrong with a Lund. I pull my kids on the tube no problem. It handle's the big rough water too. I am not afraid to take it on the roughest waters. Lund will have the best re-sale value over all other boats hands down. You'll never regret purchasing a Lund period.

ontario gunner
05-06-2015, 07:01 PM
I've got a 2013 Lund impact 1775 a 115 opti with a 21p aluminum prop on it. With bare minimum safety equipment, half tank of fuel and flat as glass calm Water I can get it to 48mph on gps.. I'm sure same conditions and a stainless steel prop I would hit 50.. Loaded with all my fishing gear, kicker motor etc and a passenger, realistic is 42-44 mph consistently.

Have you looked at walleye central website classified section??? For the kind of money your talking you can go down to the states and get one heck of a 2 year old boat.

I was at a boat show looking at 2025 pro-v when the salesman came out with a smartarse comment on price of the impact if I could come up with the money in 10 minutes. I reached into my pocket and dropped 19k cash infront of him and told him he just sold that boat.. Owner of the dealership was ticked but he honoured the price.

big bore 09
05-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Lund Impact 1775. 115 Mercury. You cannot go wrong with a Lund. I pull my kids on the tube no problem. It handle's the big rough water too. I am not afraid to take it on the roughest waters. Lund will have the best re-sale value over all other boats hands down. You'll never regret purchasing a Lund period.

like he said cant go wrong with a lund

Walleyedude
05-06-2015, 09:02 PM
A few thoughts for you.

First and foremost, with a budget of $35,000, you have a lot of options, but you're going to get WAY more boat for your money by going with something 2-5 years old compared to new. Take a look and see what's out there first, you might be surprised at some of the deals to be had on essentially new boats, many with lots of warranty remaining.

Hand in hand with that goes the cost of accessories, everything from safety kits to sonar units cost money, lots of money. Don't forget to factor that into the cost when you're looking at boats.

As far as HP. In my opinion, MAX IT OUT. In many, if not most, cases you'll actually get much better fuel economy that way. The motor is not working nearly as hard to move the boat at cruising speed, when towing the kids, or when just wanting to open it up, it's just more efficient. The up front difference in cost is considerable, but there's essentially no difference in maintenance costs between a 115 four stroke and 300 four stroke. Oil changes are oil changes, gear oil is gear oil.

A fiberglass hull is no more maintenance than an aluminum hull and won't cost more to own. There's also no inherent loss of interior space by going fiberglass, that's completely dependent on the interior design of the boat, not the material the hull is made of. There's pros and cons to each, but for me, it's fiberglass hands down. They ride better, they're drier, they're more efficient, they're quieter/more comfortable, and to me, they just look better.

Lund makes great boats, but they aren't the only game in town. I think Crestliner actually builds a better lineup of family friendly boats than Lund, and Alumacraft makes a good boat too. The Stratos is a good option, so is Skeeter for glass boats, and definitely have a look at the Ranger Reata lineup.

Down east is where the best deals are right now. The exchange rate is definitely making it tough right now, but don't forget to look south of the border, there's still some good deals on boats down there, and there's a lot more of them to be had.

EZM
05-06-2015, 10:43 PM
I want to address a couple comments on what a few seem to believe ..... boat speed top speed has as much to do with prop pitch as it does raw HP as it does with proper trimming. Proper trimming will add 4-5 mph at top speed. The right prop will add 7-8 mph. The right set up (depth in water) will give you another 5-6 mph.

Next time you are out on the lake at top speed, trim the engine up a little (or down) and give it a second or two - every boat has a sweet spot - on my boat that equals 4-5mph just in trim adjustment at cruising speed.

If you don't think any 150 hp outboard can push a boat to 50 mph ..... you are 100% Wrong. I'd agree, most won't, because they are not set up correctly. Any good boat thats set up properly will ..... any time ..... no problem.

Many "production" and kit boats sold by big box stores are not set up correctly and the mounts are set up for a certain "standard engine" - upgrade to a bigger and heavier engine that could be an inch deeper, when not trimmed properly and you just lost 8-10 mph. Just like that.

Crestliner, Lund and a few other manufacturers insist on setting up every boat in the factory (positioning the mounting brackets or holes) prior to shipping them for that very reason. They just don't drop on any old engine on any hull to make carrying inventory less painful - they take pride in the ride of their boats.

I have the lowest pitched prop (a 17) on my 18' Lund Tyee with a 150 HP. The Lund is a very heavy boat compared to many other tinners out there. It will do, any time, fully loaded 3 guys and in a moderate chop 42-44 mph all day long ..... with that prop.

The factory high pitch prop it has on this SAME boat does well over 55 mph easy as pie.

EZM
05-06-2015, 10:55 PM
If I had a budget of $35K and insisted on new I would look at a Lund Impact 1775 with a 115. Around $35K-$38K.

I would, however, be looking for a boat a few years older, like a Tyee if I was into tubing/skiing with the kids and some fishing OR a ProV if I was strictly fishing. You can get lots of great boats, with low hours, for $35K.

I like Lunds best ..... but I will be the first to say Crestliner, Customweld, Kingfisher, G3, Princecraft make some decent boats worth a closer look.

curtis_rak
05-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Based on your criteria of wanting a dual purpose boat with a fibreglass hull id suggest a fish and ski (someone already mentioned the Stratos)

I just converted to one from a deep-v aluminum full-windshield fishing-only boat. My reasoning was that we wanted to be able to get into watersports and bring more friends along for the ride, yet be able to convert to full-on fishing (elec motor, livewells, etc)

I did lots of research and considered a jet boat (quickly taken off my list), a bigger aluminum deep-v, bow riders and fish/ski combos. And we settled for a fibreglass fish and ski. And your wish list is a LOT like mine.

Fish /ski combos typically are a bass hull with the full windshield and a second row of seating. For me this was optimal because we can laze around in the sun on a huge sunpad, ski/tube, have 4 or 5 adults on board, or I can take the ski pole down and unsnap the sunpad and it's an instant fishing machine. And a fast one at that...

Pretty well all the bass boat companies make a fish and ski. In western canada you could easily find a Nitro Z7 Sport, a Stratos SF model, a Triton, or a Skeeter.

Something to consider.