PDA

View Full Version : My Glenmore rant...

Moefoe
05-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Ok...I live in the SW not far from Glenmore Res, yesterday I took the dog for a walk down past the canoe club. Occasionally fish it though in truth I don't do very well and the only people I see doing well are the guys like the dude chucking smelts up the shoreline from the club! He had 4 Browns in a black garbage bag one of which was all of 10lbs and 30". Now I know F&W are busy and hilariously under staffed but from what I've seen in the past few years down there if a couple of cops would hang out there for the opening week they'd make a small fortune in fines...get rid of these douche bags!! :fighting0021:

Redfrog
05-06-2015, 11:49 AM
What did F/W say when you called it in?

MathewsArcher
05-06-2015, 11:50 AM
So what did he do,

Season openend May 1, Smelt are not Bait fish and the limit is 5?

bubba 96
05-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Ok...I live in the SW not far from Glenmore Res, yesterday I took the dog for a walk down past the canoe club. Occasionally fish it though in truth I don't do very well and the only people I see doing well are the guys like the dude chucking smelts up the shoreline from the club! He had 4 Browns in a black garbage bag one of which was all of 10lbs and 30". Now I know F&W are busy and hilariously under staffed but from what I've seen in the past few years down there if a couple of cops would hang out there for the opening week they'd make a small fortune in fines...get rid of these douche bags!! :fighting0021:

Looks like he was fine, as smelts are not classified as a bait fish, sounds like the douche knew the regs, as someone else did not...Who is the douche now?

Glenmore Reservoir
May 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Perch limit 15; Bait fish not allowed.
Nov. 1 to Apr. 30 – CLOSED

JasonA
05-06-2015, 12:27 PM
In my opinion, big fish should be released. But in reality, as long as the regs indicate that you can keep 5 trout any size, who's really to blame?
On the note of baitfish, it should just read "no minnows allowed" to prevent these types of over reactions.

bubba 96
05-06-2015, 12:34 PM
In my opinion, big fish should be released. But in reality, as long as the regs indicate that you can keep 5 trout any size, who's really to blame?
On the note of baitfish, it should just read "no minnows allowed" to prevent these types of over reactions.

Agreed slot sizes should be in effect, but if hes allowed to retain, no laws were broken...

Moefoe
05-06-2015, 01:13 PM
3 smelts on a wire rig that can't be legal...smelts are not classified as bait fish, that's new to me and the girl I talked to at F&W said they'd look into it...and yes I feel like a bit of a douche now!!

RayL42
05-06-2015, 01:43 PM
3 smelts on a wire rig that can't be legal...smelts are not classified as bait fish, that's new to me and the girl I talked to at F&W said they'd look into it...and yes I feel like a bit of a douche now!!

"Fishing with Bait Fish

Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.
Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait."

DiabeticKripple
05-06-2015, 02:00 PM

youre allowed 3 hooks, so 3 smelts on 3 hooks is perfectly legal.

Battery
05-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Wait, you can use bait in Glenmore Res?. Damn, all I've ever done there is throw spoons lol this would have changed everything. I need to read the regs closer :bad_boys_20:

SCHOOCH
05-06-2015, 02:27 PM
I fish it quite often as i live right across the street from it.....watched a guy catch what had to be a 1.5 lb pike and throw it in a bag alive and then continue fishing. I have no issues with people keeping fish to eat but when i walked over and asked him why he kept such a small fish and not put it out of its misery i received " who cares its a pike" next reply was "i'm not eating it im putting it in my garden"......it was outta the water for about 2 minutes and swam away just fine when i put it back in the res. He did get a little heated with me for doing so but after i mentioned that no one would hear his screams he backed off pretty quickly! Most of the guys i come across fishing for the browns are putting the big girls back so at least there is some common sense out there, just gotta look hard to find it.....:thinking-006:

WayneChristie
05-06-2015, 02:49 PM
I fish it quite often as i live right across the street from it.....watched a guy catch what had to be a 1.5 lb pike and throw it in a bag alive and then continue fishing. I have no issues with people keeping fish to eat but when i walked over and asked him why he kept such a small fish and not put it out of its misery i received " who cares its a pike" next reply was "i'm not eating it im putting it in my garden"......it was outta the water for about 2 minutes and swam away just fine when i put it back in the res. He did get a little heated with me for doing so but after i mentioned that no one would hear his screams he backed off pretty quickly! Most of the guys i come across fishing for the browns are putting the big girls back so at least there is some common sense out there, just gotta look hard to find it.....:thinking-006:

Way to go buddy, poor guy was just trying to grow a 30 pounder, now he will have to start again from pike seeds!:sign0161:

James Henry
05-06-2015, 03:04 PM

So you "stole" his fish, that he was legally entitled to? Took it upon yourself to release it after it had been out of the water for awhile in a plastic bag? And then threatened him when he became upset? FOLKS, WE HAVE OUR DOUCHE!!

WayneChristie
05-06-2015, 03:19 PM
So you "stole" his fish, that he was legally entitled to? Took it upon yourself to release it after it had been out of the water for awhile in a plastic bag? And then threatened him when he became upset? FOLKS, WE HAVE OUR DOUCHE!!

Didnt realize Glenmore had no size limit

Vigsy
05-06-2015, 03:34 PM

well seeing as its against the law to waste any edible part of a game fish using it as fertilizer would i bet be a waste. so yes we have found our douche congrats its you :)

Macdrizzle
05-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Dat greed doe :scared0018:

CanadianBadass
05-06-2015, 04:51 PM

well seeing as its against the law to waste any edible part of a game fish using it as fertilizer would i bet be a waste. so yes we have found our douche congrats its you :)

Yup, I think we found him Vigsy !

Wasting a fish by throwing it in the garden ..... Hmmmmm, does this sound like a waste of edible meat...... why yes it does !

Pretty common sense IMO !

Northern Yaker
05-06-2015, 06:23 PM

Who's the douche now...

SCHOOCH
05-06-2015, 06:48 PM
Lol, trolls will be trolls.....sorry dude did I scare you or your buddy, beginning to think it must have been a family member or you and yes I would "steal" a fish that was gonna be wasted again princess

James Henry
05-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Lol, trolls will be trolls.....sorry dude did I scare you or your buddy, beginning to think it must have been a family member or you and yes I would "steal" a fish that was gonna be wasted again princess

Not at all internet tough guy. It's not wasn't any of your business to begin with, the offence isn't there until he actually waste's the meat and then he should be charged. It would be the same as the cops arresting you in the bar for drunk driving because you said you were going drive home, but never went anywhere near your vehicle. He may have been embarrassed to keep such a small fish to eat and came up with the ridiculous "gardening" excuse.
So when you leave your moms basement to ride your bicycle to the res, I will be the one catching and releasing from the shore not trolling

SCHOOCH
05-06-2015, 07:28 PM
Tell ya what let's go fishing and have some fun all this bickering on what I did is old news, in my eyes I did what was right, wasting a fish in my eyes is wrong, name the place and time. :love0025:

ROA
05-06-2015, 07:46 PM
Someone kept a fish? Panic stations everyone!!! PANIC STATIONS!!!!!

James Henry
05-06-2015, 07:58 PM
I agree, I hate seeing a headless deer carcass and fish being wasted myself. I got $400 from the RAP line 7 years ago for calling on a guy keeping fish on the elbow when it was closed.
I'll take you up on that, I love fishing below the canoe club towards the storm drain...good for burbots

slivers86
05-06-2015, 08:13 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't putting a harvested fish in your garden be considered waste?

DiabeticKripple
05-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, wouldn't putting a harvested fish in your garden be considered waste?

if you dont take the fillets yes

Buck Krazy
05-06-2015, 08:23 PM
So smelt and pickerel rig is the way to go! I will be there asap love eating fresh trout! Thanks for the tip

SCHOOCH
05-06-2015, 09:00 PM
I agree, I hate seeing a headless deer carcass and fish being wasted myself. I got $400 from the RAP line 7 years ago for calling on a guy keeping fish on the elbow when it was closed.
I'll take you up on that, I love fishing below the canoe club towards the storm drain...good for burbots

I will take you to some of my Brown hot spots that i seem to have all to myself most days except for a couple buddies who are all pretty fun guys to fish with.....gonna take you up on the burbs, they kick my butt there for some reason

EZM
05-06-2015, 11:05 PM
Great thread .... lots of action with a few call outs, a couple twists in the plot, a fight scene, then a nice happy ending with everyone singing kumbaya.

Nice.

Solid Gold.

I used to fish down by the sailing club on the south side .... years ago when I lived in Calgary .... some good spots in there.

whitetail Junkie
05-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Someone kept a fish? Panic stations everyone!!! PANIC STATIONS!!!!!

X2:rolleye2:

Moefoe
05-07-2015, 02:30 AM
So smelt and pickerel rig is the way to go! I will be there asap love eating fresh trout! Thanks for the tip

Chill out on the rocks, stick the butt end of the rod between your legs but only after you attach the fishing bell at the tip of your rod...good to go lol!! So after reading all these posts and all these varying opinions I think that most likely I'm the one who has stubborn issues...honestly when that guy pulled out that amazing fish from that black garbage bag, a Brown I have rarely seen, I kinda lost it, still bugs me! Regs are Regs, it is what it is, sorry for the half azzed rant...really was an amazing fish!!

Fishslayer99
05-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Great thread .... lots of action with a few call outs, a couple twists in the plot, a fight scene, then a nice happy ending with everyone singing kumbaya.

Nice.

Solid Gold.

I used to fish down by the sailing club on the south side .... years ago when I lived in Calgary .... some good spots in there.

I love happy endings.....:scared0018:

SCHOOCH
05-07-2015, 08:15 AM
:grouphugg: I really don't mind someone calling me out for what i did if they think it was wrong....after all i threw a guys fish back in the water, but only because of the stupid garden comment...i do not care if people keep a fish thats not what this was all about, and i really do not want to become one of the guys on here that pick a fight just for the drama of it, so im actually looking forward to meeting up and just fishing.

CK Angler
05-07-2015, 08:46 AM
when that guy pulled out that amazing fish from that black garbage bag, a Brown I have rarely seen, I kinda lost it, still bugs me! Regs are Regs, it is what it is, sorry for the half azzed rant...really was an amazing fish!!

I'm with ya bud, regs are regs, your right... But why keep a trophy fish? respect the fishery. I've seen 2 - 30+ inch walleye pulled from the Athabsaca get bonked and thrown in a cooler... Ya it's legal, blah blah... Why, why!?? Let those big mama's go!

wags
05-07-2015, 08:55 AM
I'm with ya bud, regs are regs, your right... But why keep a trophy fish? respect the fishery. I've seen 2 - 30+ inch walleye pulled from the Athabsaca get bonked and thrown in a cooler... Ya it's legal, blah blah... Why, why!?? Let those big mama's go!

Trophies are to be displayed. Can't be a trophy if you throw it back! ;)

Cheers

Gopher Zombies Inc
05-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Wow, first time on this forum..
Believe I'll stick with a fly rod.

CK Angler
05-07-2015, 10:21 AM
Trophies are to be displayed. Can't be a trophy if you throw it back! ;)

Cheers

How can it be displayed if it's been eaten?

If you want it on your wall get a replica. To each their own, but I prefer to see those trophies swim away.

wags
05-07-2015, 10:45 AM
How can it be displayed if it's been eaten?

If you want it on your wall get a replica. To each their own, but I prefer to see those trophies swim away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully catch and release. Don't like eating fish, don't have any trophies.

However, I can see the allure to hanging a prized catch on the wall, but on the flip side, regarding replicas, NHL players don't get to keep the cup, just a replica and a ring, so, fair point.

Tight lines!

aulrich
05-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Where does it say the use needs to be eating, it only covers what bits you keep when you trash what is left over.

I would say it is a non traditional use but it is a use and oddly the fish is fully utilized.

I guess our Asian friends could call the fish cops on the white folk who throw the fish heads, in some cultures fish heads are very edible , so waste is a matter of perspective.

FisherPotch
05-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Wow on the Smelts and Herring......
That's full retard

They should just put in a bait ban. And make it C&R or slot or 1 over 80cm. The potential of this pond is epic. If people let them grow.......

ESOXangler
05-09-2015, 08:17 AM
We've got ourselves a good ol dust up in the fishing section!

Buck Krazy
05-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Let's just ban fishing with hooks all together.

SnidleyWhiplash
08-27-2016, 12:08 PM
I like fishing the reservoir. Sometimes there is garbage alone the shoreline, but its pretty fun.

kevinhits
08-27-2016, 07:00 PM
I like fishing the reservoir. Sometimes there is garbage alone the shoreline, but its pretty fun.

Hey....Welcome back Scotty:bad_boys_20:

Crankbait
08-28-2016, 10:23 PM
Ok...I live in the SW not far from Glenmore Res, yesterday I took the dog for a walk down past the canoe club.

not to be a douche but your not allowed to bring your dog down past the canoe club.

Macdrizzle
08-28-2016, 11:49 PM

epicangler is back for another epic stumping

crownb
08-28-2016, 11:59 PM
Wow, I have only read through half of the posts, one thing is abundantly clear, this thread is full of douches!!!:scared0018: