PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor

vcmm
05-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Okay folks;
What's your opinion on the best electric 12 volt trolling motor?
It's going on a 14 ft Zodiac type boat. I'm thinking 55 lbs of thrust.
Thanks in advance. vcmm:fishing:

pikergolf
05-06-2015, 08:56 PM
http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Trolling-Motors/Freshwater-Transom-Mount/Traxxis/

EZM
05-06-2015, 11:06 PM

100% agree ..... that would be my choice for your boat.

Sumara
05-07-2015, 06:10 AM

I use that with my inflatable. I have a 55 lbs of thrust one and it works great for me and my buddy.

Deep
05-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Yep, what they said.......Minn Kota with the "Maximizer" feature is the only way to have great days on the water.

alltoys
05-08-2015, 07:20 AM
I have an older style 55lb thrust maximizer I use on a 12ft car topper. I also use a large 1000 amp screw top battery I can get five days of trolling with this set up without having to charge the battery. I would use it for roughly six hours a day for the five days of constant trolling. From people I have talked with that have a nonmaximizer they can barely get a full day of trolling in.

vcmm
05-08-2015, 07:40 AM
I have an older style 55lb thrust maximizer I use on a 12ft car topper. I also use a large 1000 amp screw top battery I can get five days of trolling with this set up without having to charge the battery. I would use it for roughly six hours a day for the five days of constant trolling. From people I have talked with that have a nonmaximizer they can barely get a full day of trolling in.

Where did you get the battery?

cube
05-08-2015, 09:11 AM

Are you sure that it's a 12v 1000 Ah battery and not just a typo error?

Even if it was Lithium ion it would weigh close to 300 pounds. And I can't even imagine the cost of that battery in Lithium ion. If lead acid the battery would be about 700-800 lbs which is quite a load for a 12 ft car topper esp with out people or gear in yet.

briverb
05-11-2015, 10:56 PM
I have been using a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota Maxxum 42 inch on my 13 foot zodiac and 14 foot canoe for many years.

http://www.bobbershopfishing.com/images/images_minnkota/maxxum_trans.jpg

Been out on big lakes in gale force winds and 10 foot seas and got me back no problem........ok maybe not 10 foot seas. :)

I use the biggest Kirkland Deep Cycle batteries from Costco. I get a full day of trolling and then some on one battery, but I always bring 2. I think the batteries are $104 right now at Costco. I have been using my batteries for 10 years now. Recharged after every use and charge once a month over the winter. No problems.

Aaaaand, if you ever have a problem with a 55 lb thrust trolling motor, there are great folks on this forum who can give you excellent advice on how to fix them yourself. Got mine working like new again thanks to this forum.

:happy0180:

Forest Techer
05-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Been looking all over for a sale on any minn kota with the maximizer. Anyone know where when there'll be a sale on? Have a gospel nights on maligne coming up and don't want to take the old style 35lb thrust

Apologies if this is a derail?

EZM
05-12-2015, 08:07 AM
Are you sure that it's a 12v 1000 Ah battery and not just a typo error?

Even if it was Lithium ion it would weigh close to 300 pounds. And I can't even imagine the cost of that battery in Lithium ion. If lead acid the battery would be about 700-800 lbs which is quite a load for a 12 ft car topper esp with out people or gear in yet.

http://www.solar-electric.com/crinba12vo10.html

If you had 4 guys - you could get it in the boat - 798lbs - AND it would last you 5 days ....

EZM
05-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Been looking all over for a sale on any minn kota with the maximizer. Anyone know where when there'll be a sale on? Have a gospel nights on maligne coming up and don't want to take the old style 35lb thrust

Apologies if this is a derail?

You gotta be prepared for gospel nights ..... that's for sure ..... made me think of a new marketing slogan ....

"When faith just isn't enough ...... call for MinnKota"

CanuckShooter
05-12-2015, 03:33 PM

I'd have to witness this one to believe it....:thinking-006:

Seriously...or are you selling these things....???

Forest Techer
05-16-2015, 06:14 PM
20-25% off minn kota's at ct. Picked up a 40lb thrust endura max for $242 before tax.

Couldn't justify the extra money for the 50lb version. 35 has been good for everything I've needed the last 12 years. Excited to test this digital maximizer technology out!

Deep
05-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Forest, you have made a wise decision. Had the old style Minn Kota...eats the battery so fast, now the Traxxis. Many hours of use per charge.