PDA

View Full Version : Travel rods

2big4u
01-07-2009, 08:00 AM
I am looking to buy a travel rod and reel. Something that breaks down small enough to fit into a suitcase / duffel bag. An all around use rod for shore fishing lakes and streams. Any reccomendations for what to look for?

Thanks

Big

Okotokian
01-07-2009, 08:12 AM
Went on a hiking/fishing trip with a couple of buddies in the fall. One had a real nice little kit by Diawa (the "mini-system). 4 piece rod (I think about 4 1/2 feet) and reel (your choice of spinning or spincast) that comes in a small hard plastic case. The case dimensions are about 14" x 8" x 3" I think, so it fits easily in a backpack. I tried it out and it casts very nicely (as far as I could cast my full size rod). It's light so I wouldn't try pike on it (I think 6 lb test is it's max), but it seemed to catch the high mountain lake trout great. I've seen it at wholesale for about $40. I'll probably get one in the spring.

PoorTurtle
01-07-2009, 08:50 AM
i have a 4 pc. rino rod for travle. work not bad but short like 5ft.
my buddy has a small case kit that goes from spin cast to fly rod and up to 8ft i beleive. think he found it at crappy tire.

Okotokian
01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Any opinions on type of rods? I've heard telescoping rods are generally crap compared to three or four piece ones (and it makes intuitive sense to me), but a guy at WSS says their best travel rod in his opinion is a telescoping one.

italk2u
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
I've gone thru 3 telescoping rods in the last 5 years. Last year i bought a Rhino 4 - piece and I'll never go back. It's tough enough for surf fishing and sensitive enough for trolling for walleye.

tbosch
01-07-2009, 09:40 AM
Get a sage 4 piece 8 wt 9' rod. They come with a tube and you can use them anywhere. Mine fits in my suitcase. I've casted mine to rooster fish, jack krevalle, northern pike, Walleye, Steelhead and lake trout.

Okotokian
01-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Get a sage 4 piece 8 wt 9' rod. They come with a tube and you can use them anywhere. Mine fits in my suitcase. I've casted mine to rooster fish, jack krevalle, northern pike, Walleye, Steelhead and lake trout.

You must use big suitcases. I have a sage 4 piece but wouldn't consider it a travel rod. I consider a travel rod a compact little package you can use anywhere, especially since you don't always know the place going in. Hard to use the fly rod when you are trying to fish from shore with the bush 3 feet behind you. if you are packing waders, etc. to get into the water it's not exactly a light-weight package anymore.

Mudslide
01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I swore I'd never have another telescoping rod but I was checking out the Shimano line of travel rods at Bass Pro in TO last summer and I think I've changed my mind. The make several break down models but the one that caught my eye was the telescoping rods that have come with a case that also protects the reel and is not much bigger than a shaving kit. I instantly wanted one when I saw the quality. I don't work for Shimano but it's frankly the best one I've seen.

Okotokian
01-07-2009, 12:44 PM
I swore I'd never have another telescoping rod but I was checking out the Shimano line of travel rods at Bass Pro in TO last summer and I think I've changed my mind. The make several break down models but the one that caught my eye was the telescoping rods that have come with a case that also protects the reel and is not much bigger than a shaving kit. I instantly wanted one when I saw the quality. I don't work for Shimano but it's frankly the best one I've seen.

I actually think this is the one the clerk showed me at WSS and raved about, so I dunno.....

Mudslide
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
"I actually think this is the one the clerk showed me at WSS and raved about, so I dunno....."

It probably was, I wanted it the minute I picked it up. Bass Pro had a big Shimano display with the whole line of travel rods they make. Most of them are sectional graphite rods that come in a short tube. Very classy looking and the rods were all very good quality. I took a bazooka full of rods with me to Ontario and I could have just as easily avoided the hassle and the 3 hour wait at the TO airport because they put my rod case on a different flight. :mad2:

tbosch
01-07-2009, 01:09 PM
You must use big suitcases. I have a sage 4 piece but wouldn't consider it a travel rod. I consider a travel rod a compact little package you can use anywhere, especially since you don't always know the place going in. Hard to use the fly rod when you are trying to fish from shore with the bush 3 feet behind you. if you are packing waders, etc. to get into the water it's not exactly a light-weight package anymore.

Yeah I have one of those hard base duffels so it is pretty large. As for the conditions well...If I can get a cast out on the stauffer or elk creek then i'm not too worried about fishing anywhere I go. And if I can't get a cast out then I guess it's back to the swim up bar for un cerveza porforvore.

Fish Cannon
01-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Mine is a 4 piece 9' St. Croix Fly Rod (6 Weight). Don't leave home without it. Bush behind me, then it is roll cast time.

Alberta Bigbore
01-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Pen Rods break down super small and look like a pen. I was given one and one of thier own custom reels that will only fit thier rods by the owner of the company

jeprli
01-08-2009, 06:55 AM
Amundsen rods that are sold at WSS are very good quality, they have two sizes, I use the smaller one for spinning, hooksets are instant
Telescopics are just as good of a rod as any other, you just have to be more careful as they are fragile if stepped on...and they're a little bulkier and weigh a tad bit more then "normal" rods, but they work extremely well.

I have 4 telescopic rods 9'(15-45gram, 45-100gram) from Balzer out of germany and they;re used just for carp fishing, 30 lb fish comes out real easy. And it is actually more fun to fight the fish with telescopic rod, as they have a surprisingly hard back bone yet very sensitive tips. These rods break down to 2ft so they can fit any standard travel bag.

You can buy them here(for north a.) http://www.psfishing.com/ if you need any help with action of the rods I can help you out.

One very important thing to consider is that telescopic rods are prone to getting hit by lightning, so be careful when you're using it. Also fishing with them close to power lines is strongly discouraged. I think it has to do with static...