PDA

View Full Version : What happens when a pike swims off with your lure?

Donkey Oatey
05-06-2015, 09:06 PM
According to this study is that they shake them pretty quickly.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/what-happens-when-a-pike-swims-off-with-your-lure-1.3054082

FlyTheory
05-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the read!

Sumara
05-06-2015, 10:02 PM
That's pretty neat.

Marsha
05-07-2015, 10:35 AM
I caught one last year in town that had a hook still in it and the pickle rig too, and a 8 oz ball weight. thought I had caught my all time record it was so heavy, got it to the boat to find a 10" pike, rig, 8oz lead, and all wrapped up in 10 lbs of crap:snapoutofit:

let the fish go
kept the lead
threw the crap in the garbage can at the Zoo

Lowrance Fishburn
05-07-2015, 11:22 AM
I heard fish develop like a stomach acid, the same as they use to digest there food nearly whole and this acid eats through the hook. Fish tale or what?

Drewski Canuck
05-08-2015, 11:09 AM
No fish tail. Acid in a fish stomach is pretty amazing stuff.

Caught A lot of pike, and walleye, with a jig in the stomach and the hooks were pretty corroded, and not affecting the fish, no perforated gut, no ulcers. For a jaw hooked fish, same thing, hook was in pretty bad shape.

If the hook is in the gills, no so much, as they bleed to death.

Drewski

cube
05-08-2015, 03:54 PM
No fish tail. Acid in a fish stomach is pretty amazing stuff.

Caught A lot of pike, and walleye, with a jig in the stomach and the hooks were pretty corroded, and not affecting the fish, no perforated gut, no ulcers. For a jaw hooked fish, same thing, hook was in pretty bad shape.

If the hook is in the gills, no so much, as they bleed to death.

Drewski

Also depends quite a bit on the make up of the hook. Some hooks are more or less regular steel and rust/corrode quite quickly, esp. in the hydrochloric acid environment that is found in the stomach of most vertebrates. Hooks that are made of anticorrosion materials are not so easily broken down.

This had of course lead to many debates as to whether stainless hooks should be regulated against.

Pflueger
05-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Pretty cool study