PDA

View Full Version : AF&GA membership benifits

Duffy4
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
AT conference today we had a talk from a fellow involved with the insurance coverage that clubs and members get with membership in an AF&GA club. I was very impressed. Can't give you a lot of details now as I have to go to the "Meet and Greet" where I will eat some game sausage, drink some beer and meet and talk with old friends and hopefully some new friends. One of the benifits of going to a provincial conference.

Robin in the HAT

jrs
02-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Hope it goes well. I was supposed to come out but the other guy i was splitting everything with cancled (travel, hotel, and stuff) . Hopefully next time, i was looking forward to it.

Duffy4
02-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Had a really posative talk from the Minister of SRD today. Seems like a level headed fellow who understands most of the concerns of outdoors people in Alberta. gave us some good news on a number of things. IMHA for one.

The fisheries people talked about the walley tag pilot project and some other management issues. The wildlife people announced most of the "proposed" changes to the hunting regulations that I had heard about before.

Some more Sunday hunting WMUs and hunting Big Game with firearms from 12 years old and up.

So far so good.

Robin in the HAT

Brady
02-23-2007, 09:29 PM
hunting Big Game with firearms from 12 years old and up.

I sure hope so on that one Duffy, I have sent prolly a dozen letters requesting this, to the Premier and the ministers over the last 5 years or so. Thanx fer the updates here.

jrs
02-23-2007, 11:45 PM
That would be awesome!! That would really help kids get hooked and get some new blood in the field. I remember them saying they'd do it a few years back already though, never happened.

Duffy4
02-24-2007, 07:00 PM
Again we were told these "regulation changes" were proposed changes but as theyt were anounced to all without a request not to make them public I think most will probably fly.

By the way, thanks to all of the hunters and anglers out there in aLBERTA FOR BUYING LUNCH FOR THE af&ga Deligates and guests today. The Alberta Conservation Association (ACA) payed for the lunch with the $ they collect off your hunting and fishing licences. You know, the money they are supposed to use for wildlife and fish habitat and enhancement projects. They would not give Fish and Wildlife enough money to do the game counts that F&W figured were needed. But they could aford to buy our lunch and spend the money on other things that I sure don't think are right.

And the ACA wants the Gov't to raise hunting and fishing licences to give more $ to the ACA. (the AF&GA past a resoulution to oppose this move)

Robin in the HAT

sheep hunter
02-25-2007, 12:01 PM
Hey Robin, the Minister's talk was indeed very encouraging and one of the least politically correct talks I've ever heard. Ted seems like he gets right to the point. I like that.

I found it interesting after the long thread on here about the AFGA how the minister pointed out that it was the AFGA that led the charge against the IMHA and that it was in large the group that brought it down. Guess there is a bit of political side to the organization after all.

afga
02-25-2007, 04:08 PM
a politician sayn how much influence an organization has at that organizations AGM ...earthshattering...:rolleyes

Mackaylake
02-25-2007, 04:35 PM
"I found it interesting after the long thread on here about the AFGA how the minister pointed out that it was the AFGA that led the charge against the IMHA and that it was in large the group that brought it down."

So, there is no more IMHA?

sheep hunter
02-25-2007, 06:05 PM
NOPE!

walleyes
02-25-2007, 06:14 PM
So sheep,, when do we hear what it is being replaced with or is it being abolished all together,, (very doubtful)

Mackaylake
02-25-2007, 06:40 PM
No IMHA. Sure has been kept quiet. I would put money on it that a politician is telling you what you would like to hear. (that't never been done before). I suppose the prez of the AFGA will be quoted as saying there is no IMHA. just like when the court overturned the Kip Kelly (I think that was the name) case. It may be another case of AFGA pounding their chest.

I'll believe it when it is official.

Mackaylake
02-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks, just as I thought.

sheep hunter
02-25-2007, 07:04 PM
You know whay mackay, that doesn't even deserve a reply. Like Duffy said, it is very complicated but basically the 30-day appeal period has passed and the IMHA is no more. Have your own little paranoid moment with that but keep me out of it. I've Heard the entire story and taken the time to learn about it and am happy the direction things are going and thankful we have a minister and organization that are strong enough to stand up to the BS that was rammed down our throat. If being ignorant and living with your paranoid dillusions is what floats your boat, rock on buddy. Sorry, but I'm getting tired of this crap.

It is official, the court has spoken!!

Duffy4
02-25-2007, 07:08 PM
No you woun't, you'll assume that it is a political ploy, at least if you want to.

I have heard many ministers do a little song and dance at the AF&GA conference before. I really feel that this guy will stand behind at least some of what he said and thats good news.

What happened with the IMHA and the kip case is complicated and not well understood by many.

In the last ruling the judge basically said " The IMHA is null and void and NOT LAW. However because of all the puplicity, Kip thought that he had the righrt to trap some critters not on his line. We cannot convict him for doing something that he really though he could do."

The minister said that as far as he was concerned there was no need to "re nagotiate" something that did not exist. (the imha) And that the Federal courts "Prowley Case" was again the only case law on this issue. That means a Metis person must prove they are traditionally from an area and their ansestors traditionally did susitance hunting there, then they may be able to do the same.

If you see anyone hunting or fishing in what you believe to be an illegal manner, collect info and report them. NEVER ASSUME THEY HAVE SOME RIGHTS TO BE DOING IT.

RAP 1-800-642-3088

Robin

Mackaylake
02-25-2007, 07:51 PM
I am not paranoid, I just have a good memory. Sorry if your tired of the crap, but that is just the way it has been. That's just my opinion, I think it's allowed even though you may disagree.

Mackaylake
02-25-2007, 09:12 PM
When I hear/read fact. Then I will believe. Am I supposed to believe just because you went to an AFGA AGM? There has been misinterpretations before. When I hear it from the Alberta govt. I will believe. Not from an AFGA member/outdoor writer.

sheep hunter
02-25-2007, 09:13 PM
How is life in your bubble mackay??? Anyhow, for the rest here, the minister offered very good news at his speech and the court has decided that the IMHA is null and void....not some outdoor writer.

This means that Metis must follow the Powey decision and not the IMHA as it no longer exists. Check out both judges' decisions on the Kip Kelley case Mackay and you may learn something or are they involved in the conspiracy too??? News flash...the earth is round too buddy and that's also a fact...You got an opinion or wish to disagree with that as well.

Shaking my head

sheep hunter
02-25-2007, 09:14 PM
What are you disagreeing with mackay....a fact??????

Now you see why I get tired of this crap.

qbochar
02-25-2007, 10:02 PM
Hey Woo:

Politicians usually don't blow sunshine up your ass just because they are at an organizations AGM especially when the media is there to record what was said.

Mackaylake
02-25-2007, 10:36 PM
"Politicians usually don't blow sunshine up your ass just because they are at an organizations AGM especially when the media is there to record what was said."

Wow, I didn't know that. I have been wrong all these years. Truthful politicians imagine that.

Mackaylake
02-25-2007, 10:40 PM
You sure are defensive Sheep. All I am saying is I will wait before I jump for joy. What else do you want me to say? The great T.J. Schwanky has spoken so it is law.

sheep hunter
02-25-2007, 10:52 PM
No, the courts have spoken so it is law....

Not sure how this can get any more asinine mackay but I'm sure you'll find a way.

kanonfodder
02-25-2007, 11:54 PM
sidebar....actually courts interpret law, governments make the law ...... it's understandable why the confusion, with both sides proclaiming a victory over the court ruling....

sheep hunter
02-26-2007, 12:00 AM
Actually both sides did win Kannon. Kip beat the charges and the IMHA is null and void and the Metis get what they are entitled to under Powley. Seems like a win/win to me.

kanonfodder
02-26-2007, 12:05 AM
exactly sheep both sides won that's what's confusing...I would like a clear concise statement from the Alberta government re. IMHA just to get rid of any grey area.....

sheep hunter
02-26-2007, 12:09 AM
There's really nothing to comment on kanon...that's the point...it's null and void according to the courts. That's the point, it no longer exists in law.

Okotokian
02-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Came here looking to see what the benefit of becoming an AFGA member. At least that is what the title of this chain suggested. I see that the main benefit of membership is that you get to argue with an insult a whole new group of people! Who knew? :b

Actually, I already knew. Every chain I've seen regarding this organization seems to degenerate into this sort of thing.

Here's a suggestion.. if you have an axe to grind with the AFGA, the next time you see a chain regarding it, just ignore it. It's OK, we already know your objections (and I'm not even arguing that they aren't perfectly valid. They may well be. I have no idea. But this chain was about the benefits).

So hey, can anyone actually tell me what the benefits are of joining? PLEASE.....

fallairfever
02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Okotokian,
I recently have joined the Sarcee fish and game association, I saw the booth at the Calgary boat and sportsman show. After reading about AFGA on here I thought I would talk to them. The sarcee group has a trout pond wich will be great to take my kids to, has monthly meeting/seminars on topics that I find very interesting ie: gun cleaning, choosing optics, sausage and organize a fall rifle sight in. They have great events like a pig roast, b-b-q's and camping trips. and participate in projects like the bow river clean-up, fence building and tree planting. All this stuff that you get to do with fellow outdoors people.
Plus you are part of The AFGA which despit what some people say is, from what I can see a pretty good group and influencial enough to at least be invited to the table when it comes to decisions that affect us - the outdoorsmen.
check out the website sarceefishandgame.ca if you like.

On another note it would be nice to see some clarification on the IMHA, if its void etc...

FallAirFever

sheep hunter
02-26-2007, 06:43 PM
Hey fall, that's my home club too. They have also been very generous contributors to the Wildlife Trust Fund for land purchases and they offer some cool training like sniper school, horn measuring and more! Great bunch of guys and gals.

fallairfever
02-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Sheep that is great to hear, I look forward to getting more involved with them as time goes on, maybe even get a chance to bend your ear sometime, saw you at the sportsman show, and everytime I wanted to say hi you chatting up another one of your admirers.

Sniper training yikes I hope that is not with a black gun ;)
I may start to think I could use it for something more than paper targets, what would the public think :lol :rollin :lol

Just kiddin guys I am finding the black rifles thread(s) very interesting and it has me thinking, still not sure where I come out on all of it yet.
Fall

sheep hunter
02-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Feel free to bend my ear anytime.... Those were likely bill collectors that were talking to me. LOL

nafegavas
02-26-2007, 10:55 PM
The flip side of this, are the benefits to anglers and hunters as a whole. If we were all AFGA members we would have much more clout every time something comes up that could affect our sports. Future generations would be thankful.

qbochar
02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Okotokian:

pm me and we'll talk about the benefits of the AFGA.

Quentin Bochar
1st VP AFGA

Mackaylake
03-12-2007, 03:44 PM
I have e-mailed Ted Morton, Pearl Callahassen, and the M.N.A. And I have also read the 2 arcticles in this months A.O. by Struther's and Waugh.
I have NOT recieved a response from Morton's office. Callahassen response was ; They will check with Ted Morton's office. And the M.N.A.'s response was the I.M.H.A. is the same as it has always been.
In the 2 articles Waugh and Struther's explain the situation, but no where do they say that the I.M.H.A. is non existent.
So, I have yet to see proof that the agreement is null and void.
The rest of my post was edited by lilsundance.

Duffy4
03-12-2007, 11:25 PM
Your post has nothing to do with the original topic of the thread, so be thankful your whole post was not edited.

What kind of "proof" are you looking for anyway????

Robin

Mackaylake
03-12-2007, 11:30 PM
I put it here because this is where Sheephunter was calling me down. He was the one suggesting I mail Ted Morton for an explanation. It would be nice to see it in the news as there was a couple people saying that there was media at the AGM.
It looks to me that either Ted Morton was putting false hope into Albertans minds or T.J. Schwanky is.

sheep hunter
03-13-2007, 05:37 PM
The two articles were published before the appeal period was over so at that time it was not null and void. Now the appeal period has passed and the courts...not Ted or TJ have ruled it invalid. I'm just going by the legal system and what Morton said in response to the courts ruling. Not sure how much more proof is required. Whether the Alberta goverment comes back with another agreement remains to be seen but for now Powley is the deciding factor of law. End of story. I'm just citing some facts Mackay...if you are looking for a debate or argument your are barking up the wrong tree. This isn't my opinion...it's a fact of law!

Mackaylake
03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
YOU ARE WRONG! NO DEBATE.

sheep hunter
03-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Huh???? Did I miss something????? Why are the facts I reported on wrong????? I know you are itching for a fight Mackay but at least wait until I give my opinion on something. These are the facts as they were presented to me and I'm just passing them along. No need to shout either buddy. If you know something I don't, please enlighten me and the other fine users of this board. I'm always open to learning. Otherwise please stop shouting.

And just for the record Mackay, I never called you down.

Mackaylake
03-13-2007, 07:33 PM
I repeat.

I have e-mailed Ted Morton, Pearl Callahassen, and the M.N.A. And I have also read the 2 arcticles in this months A.O. by Struther's and Waugh.
I have NOT recieved a response from Morton's office. Callahassen response was ; They will check with Ted Morton's office. And the M.N.A.'s response was the I.M.H.A. is the same as it has always been.
In the 2 articles Waugh and Struther's explain the situation, but no where do they say that the I.M.H.A. is non existent.
So, I have yet to see proof that the agreement is null and void.

The only response I recieved was from the M.N.A.
"My" own govt' won't respond to the question.
They are the ones who make the laws.
I would say at best the IMHA is being looked at again.
You are going by your or Ted's interpretation of the court's decision. It is NOT official. And that is what I am trying to get across. I am 99% sure you will not find a c.o. in the province who will charge a metis who is hunting or fishing within the IMHA.

sheep hunter
03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
The fact remains Mackay that two judges have ruled the IMHA invalid. How the government chooses to deal with that is open for plenty of speculation and I'm certain the issue is far from dead so I agree with plenty of what you are saying. As I've said from the beginning, I was only passing along some facts. Where it all goes from here is anyone's guess. Not sure why we had to go through that whole song and dance but glad we ended up at the same place....I think.

Nothing of what I said was inaccurate...it was fact plain and simple. It's where the government chooses to go from here that is open to speculation.

Mackaylake
03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I think the problem was your reply on page 1. It simply said "Nope"

sheep hunter
03-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Sorry Mackay...seemed like a simple question so thought a simple answer would suffice. I often find out a lot of info before other sportsmen and when it's important I like to post those facts here. I'm not afraid to post my opinion when I have one but quite often the facts are just the facts.