PDA

View Full Version : Need canoe advice

EZM
05-09-2015, 01:49 PM
I know nothing about canoes ...... but my wife wants to get one .... so any advice would be great.

I'm wide open on budget, but prefer to get a less expensive model to begin with and if we begin to use it lots ..... upgrade a better model

here's what we are looking for ....

- 2 person capacity plus gear
- comfortable, stable and wide
- Something for novice paddlers
- Used on still water for recreation and fishing

And where to buy it ......

rycoma
05-09-2015, 03:17 PM
Coleman canoe. Not sure if the model anymore but green plastic with a metal tube frame. We had one all through high school I could stand up and fish all day with a troling motor. Very durable but on the heavy side if you want to portage

norcodh
05-09-2015, 04:02 PM
I purchased a mad river about 5yrs ago, don't use it alot but its nice to have for those occasions it's been really good and around same price as a colmen. Tons of canoe brands out there all with lots of models, the lower the rocker the straighter it will track but you lose maneuverability. I'm in Leth so purchased at high level canoe and kayak

Poppa
05-09-2015, 05:16 PM
There's a lotta different brands that'll get the job done for ya, but I'll put a vote in there for Old Town, who make a damn fine canoe. We've had an Old Town "Camper" for a long time, and it's been a fantastic canoe for us. Grumman has made some phenomenal canoes for a long time, as well. Check out Bass Pro Rocky View, or hit up any Canadian Tire for a middle-of-the-road Coleman unit.

HighlandHeart
05-09-2015, 10:05 PM
A 17 foot Novacraft Prospector will let you carry hundreds of pounds of gear on trips that are hundreds of kilometers long with ease. It is a very stable boat, and it handles well in waves, rivers and on still water. Like anything else, you will get what you pay for. The royalex version is light enough to portage and unload from a roof rack without other people helping. If you want to buy only one canoe and not have to upgrade at a later date when you want to go canoe camping and fishing, this is what I would get.

ovis40
05-09-2015, 11:37 PM
http://westcountrycanoes.com Larry is a member on here, can't remember his handle. I have a cedar strip canoe get restored with him now. Looked at some of the new cedar strip he builds and they are awesome looking ships!

huntsfurfish
05-10-2015, 10:48 AM
You should be able to get a reasonably good canoe after trading in that lund.:)lol

simmered
05-10-2015, 11:17 AM
I think you will get a ton of advice on here. I have found no matter what people tell you or what reviews you read, its always nicer to go paddle a boat and see how it handles and feels.
Totem outfitters on 99St in Edmonton has rentals of some very good boats that fit your requirements. I have heard that If you rent a canoe from them and decide to buy one that they will take off your rental price from sale price.
The clipper tripper that they rent is a fantastic boat that will be good for what you are going to use it for.

Commander B
05-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Start with the gospel of canoeing and all things canoe. Learn about rocker, tumble home, free board, trekking vs river running. Canoes are like guns and fishing rods, one does not do all!! Compromise and suitability are important. You will not be happy with a Coleman , Canadian tire, or a bass pro product. A canoe that is flexy and requires a metal pole down the middle is not a canoe!!

Bill Mason can teach you every thing canoe.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/path_of_the_paddle_doubles_basic/#temp-share-panel

Clipper , Nova Craft Grumman eagle. ( different than regular Grumman) Old Town. Kevlar , fibreglass royalex, aluminum In this order.

B.

EZM
05-10-2015, 07:24 PM
You should be able to get a reasonably good canoe after trading in that lund.:)lol

That would be a disaster ..... lol ..... there is no way I can get all my electronics, trolling motors, down riggers, rods and tackle into any canoe .....

My wife is researching canoes and I'm looking for a new electronics package, rod holders, batteries etc... for the canoe ...... she doesn't know it yet .... lol.

There's a couple smaller, secluded honey holes around here a canoe might be a great tool ..... my wife will be impressed ....

EZM
05-10-2015, 07:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the good advice ..... I will probably check out the MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) and Totem as they seem to be about the only places I can find that have a variety of designs.