PDA

View Full Version : Rigged for Dino"s

icehunter
05-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Talked to a fella at a fishin shop...didn't really like what he was suggesting...so ordered up this rig from a dealer who loves fishing..its gonna be a Ugly stick Steel head rod.heavy...with a 7000 series penn spinning reel. 65 pound braid line..I hope this works for them...as the owner of the shop is female and the greatest person you could ever find..Dinos beware...both her and I are hitting the water and lookin for you real soon...:sHa_shakeshout:

SKSniper
05-09-2015, 05:38 PM
I had a guy at a fishing shop set me up with a $50 rod/reel combo and 30 lb braid when I asked for a sturgeon setup...needless to say both the line and my reel broke when I hooked one. Then he just recently set up my buddy with pickerel rigs and a dinky little rod/reel and told him he could catch sturgeon no problem. Point is don't listen to guy at the store, come on here and find out what to use!!!

Good luck , post pics when you catch one!

icehunter
05-10-2015, 04:57 AM
That's what I did,read lots in here,asked some questions. He said I could catch them,but what about bringing them in? $250.00 as compared to $$50.00..should be a way better setup if I happen to hook into a big one! I am considering it a one time investment.It will also double duty if I ever make it out to BC and try salmon fishing.

Wild&Free
05-10-2015, 06:16 PM
That's what I did,read lots in here,asked some questions. He said I could catch them,but what about bringing them in? $250.00 as compared to $$50.00..should be a way better setup if I happen to hook into a big one! I am considering it a one time investment.It will also double duty if I ever make it out to BC and try salmon fishing.

I"m going to be rigging up my salmon gear for Sturgeon here for next weekend.

11' Trophy XL MH with an 7000 ambassador from Abu probably string up 50-60lb braid. with 40lb mono (berkly big game) I never had a 40-50lb Spring break off in the current of the main stem Skeena, which from what I've seen around here has a far stronger current then the NSR.

Lots of Salmon fishermen on the rivers back in BC use rods longer then what I've read about being used here for sturgeon. I think it has more to do with techniques employed like bottom bouncing or running floats then any difference in species.

Adwittoutdoors
05-10-2015, 08:51 PM
I am a newb fishing for Dino's and was wondering is a Ugly Stick Catfish rod a good choice with 50 lb braid and 40 lb fluorocarbon leader ?

Mitchthefisher
05-10-2015, 09:00 PM
Get the 54lb nylon sturgeon leader @adwittoutdoors:)

WayneChristie
05-10-2015, 09:03 PM
I am a newb fishing for Dino's and was wondering is a Ugly Stick Catfish rod a good choice with 50 lb braid and 40 lb fluorocarbon leader ?

Ive been using the Shakespeare Wildcat rod with a Penn Fierce reel and 65 pound braid, and love it. Im fishing it beside a Penn pursuit2 graphite rod and I prefer the wildcat. it has doublefooted guides unlike the ugly catfish rod . I much prefer doublefooted guides because they arent always bending over . the wildcat is a medium heavy but very flexible and it take a lot of the shock from the big dinos

CenterPin
05-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Uglystick steelhead rod just sounds like an oxymoron no? lol In all seriousness that sounds like a fine setup for Dinos. And what Mitch said, get some nylon sturgeon leader

Adwittoutdoors
05-10-2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the reply guys. It's appreciated. I also thank the guys at the south side Fish'n Hole for the help in rod selection. Especially Ken who thinks I'm a little white fish crazy and reckless. I may have gotten wet once or 5 times out Gull at the end of the hard water season and had a slight car break through the ice moment. Lmao. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

1bluZebec
05-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Any pics?

LCCFisherman
05-13-2015, 11:05 AM
I really want them to close down LKST in the province.. there is WAY to many people targeting them now...

ROA
05-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Ever single person fishing with bait on the bottom has been "targeting" them for the past xxx? years. Yet the population still grows, worry about other things in life.

Battery
05-13-2015, 04:12 PM
I really want them to close down LKST in the province.. there is WAY to many people targeting them now...

Yea, close down something you cant control. Any other fish in the river will take a bait you lay on the bottom for Sturgeon and vice versa. How do you control what you catch? Dummy.

waterfowler
05-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Love my ugly stick catfish rod for sturgeon, paired with 50lb braid.

huntsfurfish
05-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Yea, close down something you cant control. Any other fish in the river will take a bait you lay on the bottom for Sturgeon and vice versa. How do you control what you catch? Dummy.

Thats not needed!

But seeing how you asked - no bait would be one way.:)

FlyTheory
05-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Thats not needed!

But seeing how you asked - no bait would be one way.:)

Or make the NSR and SSR fly fishing only :jawsmiley::lol:

huntsfurfish
05-14-2015, 09:29 PM
Or make the NSR and SSR fly fishing only :jawsmiley::lol:

:):lol: