PDA

View Full Version : Lowance HDS 7 Gen 2 Touch no depth reading

vancouvercanuck
05-09-2015, 08:28 PM
i just had this fish finder installed and tried it out for the last couple days. I can't get any depth reading on the sonar. I bought this unit with the side/down structure scan as well. I picked the proper transducer in the installation options on the finder and I still don't get a reading. Please note I have the go free wi-fi module as well but I looked at the install instructions on the go free wifi and I don't see where that would be an issue although I can't get that to work either. I had this unit installed professionly. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or do I need to take it back in where I had it installed?

kcward
05-10-2015, 12:53 AM
Did you try resetting it to factory defaults? If that doesn't work, I would go back to the installer.

Good Luck!

EZM
05-10-2015, 02:37 AM
Sounds like two separate issues .... Here'e what I'd check ....

Transducer

1) Check to see if the head unit recognizes the transducer on it's own. If there is only one transducer on that head unit - this should be on as the default. If there are multiple transducers on the network, all sources should show up and you should be able to select the one you want to show on that particular head unit. You should not have to manually set up your transducer. If not - save your waypoints/tracks (if any) and do a system restore. The transducer should be recognized.

2) Check transducer connection and repeat.

3) Pull boat out of water and start up head unit - upon start up do you should hear a clicking sound (transducer pinging) - you can have someone place their hand touching the transducer while the boat is out of the water and do a start up - the ping should be relatively evident.

Regarding the go free ..... Can I assume your tablet/phone etc... has the software loaded, and your device can (under setting or wifi) that there is a "go free" connection available?

If not the go free needs some trouble shooting (connections, ethernet, etc...)

If so try re-synchronizing the IP addresses ....

vancouvercanuck
05-10-2015, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I did try the hard re boot and the finder does not pick up the transducer I have to manually pick it under the sonar installation options.

I will check for sound coming out of the transducer.

The wi fi does not even show up on my settings so I think there's a bigger issue on the install side of things.

I'm taking it back in the morning to have the installer check their install.

huntsfurfish
05-10-2015, 09:54 PM
Have you got the latest updates? The current update is v:4.0

vancouvercanuck
05-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Have you got the latest updates? The current update is v:4.0

Will this effect the sonar transducer?i would think the finder/sonar should still work. I was thinking about the update issue but the finder is only 3 months old bought new. Would the software not be already on?

EZM
05-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Did you try resetting to factory defaults? (after saving your waypoints, tracks, etc...)?

Did you try to disconnect and re-plug the transducer in?

Did you do the click test?

If those all didn't work ...... and you have (or can borrow) another transducer - I would plug it in to see if it shows up ..... the unit should recognize the connected transducer. If it recognizes the other transducer, and not the one that came with it, chances are you have a bad transducer.

If the unit doesn't recognize a known working transducer the problem is with the unit itself.

BTW .... How did you make up on preliminary trouble shooting?

There is no point exhausting all options and giving you more ideas unless you have saved your waypoints and tracks and done a system restore. You going to have to do that. If you save your data you have absolutely nothing to loose and everything to gain. This is an absolute step one.

Once you have restored - At that point don't touch a thing ..... just see if it recognizes the transducer. And repeat the transducer test (without trying to go an select a transducer for it ..... don't do this ..... with only one transducer there is absolutely no need to do this under any circumstances. Chances are you may have turned it off.

To properly isolate and diagnose the issue unplug your ethernet from the network (if you are networked to the minnkota or a ethernet hub or another head unit). All you want is power source, GPS antenna (if applicable), transducer cable plugged into the unit. That's it. That's all.

vancouvercanuck
05-11-2015, 09:19 PM
I did reply above. I did try the hard reboot and no go: didn't find the transducer. I took the boat back in today to see if the installer did something wrong. Ie: broken cable....

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I'm pretty sure the wi fi module was not installed correctly as it doesn't even show up on my wifi network.

EZM
05-11-2015, 09:55 PM
I did reply above. I did try the hard reboot and no go: didn't find the transducer. I took the boat back in today to see if the installer did something wrong. Ie: broken cable....

I'm pretty sure the wi fi module was not installed correctly as it doesn't even show up on my wifi network.

It's not a hard re-boot - that won't do much for you .... a system restore (reset to factory defaults) is what you are after I think.

Either way - let us know what the dealer finds out.

huntsfurfish
05-11-2015, 10:09 PM

You might need V4.0 for wifi module.

I just bought a HDS7 Touch a couple weeks ago. It has Version 3.0

Edit: Just checked unit(in the house) 3.0 seems to have wifi ability too. but I cant verify cuz I dont have wifi module.