PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Question

Reloading Question
03-13-2007, 08:35 AM
Here's a question for all you reloaders! I just finshed up a batch of 243 hunting loads and there is a dozen rounds that are VERY TIGHT when I chamber them. The overall length is ok, but the head to shoulder length seems to be too long. I determined this by painting the shoulders with a felt marker and then chambering them in the rifle, the marks indicate that the shoulder is tight in the chamber. My question is where did I go wrong? What can I do to correct this? Should I pull them apart and start over again. I know that I can't fire them, I'll never get them out of the gun after.

Dennis

varmitr
03-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Im guessing these are previously fired cases? if so, the brass from the case is flowing forward causing the neck wall thickness to be greater than original. do not fire them, as they are too tight to release the bullet without building huge pressures.
the gas pressure expands brass into the chamber first, thus allowing the bullet to begin its forward travel. if its too tight, there is no room for brass to grow in diameter.
anyone else got a plan?

HUNTNUT
03-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Yep I'd have to agree with varmitr. I'd pull them and do a full length resize. Then chamber them to see how they feel before you add powder and bullet then chamber them again and compare to before. They should be good to go.

Reloading Question
03-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Varmitr, thanks for your reply, yes they are previously fired, I think this is their third time around, and they are loaded somewhat hot.

Huntnut, thanks for the suggestion about chambering before charging. I'll make that part of the process in the future.

Thanks

Dennis

Andrzej77
03-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I would pull them apart and measure length of case as well as after being fired three times they might be to long. Use caliper and Trim to length value from data.
Next if you neck resizing and those cases where fired from other gun then yours you have to full length re-size them to fit yours chamber.
I have two 7 STW and custom made chamber is much tighter than in Sako so now if I am taking them to shoot I chamber all shells so there is no surprises.
Andrew

varmitr
03-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Id also suggest that resizing necks for OD (or ID) is not recommended in this situation.
theory being, that enough material has flowed from the case body to severely compromise its overall strength. when you go to pull out a tight shell, it will rip apart at the extractor claw, now the trouble starts.
the case is done its life. brass is cheap compared to trying to extract a stuck case in the middle of a hunt.

aulrich
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Or you did not properly bottom out the shell holder on the bottom of the sizing die. I had a 243 that the cases needed two trips into the die to properly size.

Reloading Question
03-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I pretty much had decided that these rounds were unusable, you guys have reinforced that thought. I will pull the bullets out and try that last suggestion about bottoming out the shell holder on the sizing die and see if that fixes the problem..

Thanks, Dennis