PDA

View Full Version : Single or Treble hook?

ETOWNCANUCK
05-10-2015, 10:35 AM
Hey guys,

Picked up a few of the new Len Thompson dimple series spoons. They come rigged with a treble hook but come with a separate single hook.
I've seen this before with other spoons but never gave it much thought.

Is there any advantages to fishing a spoon with a single hook over a treble?

pinelakeperch
05-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Hey guys,

Picked up a few of the new Len Thompson dimple series spoons. They come rigged with a treble hook but come with a separate single hook.

Less snags, easier on the fish.

FlyTheory
05-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Single hooks give a much better hook set and when fishing barbless there isn't as high of a chance of losing the fish. Treble hooks just make it easier to hook. Usually single hooks aren't as damaging as a mouth full of trebles. Or this is what I've heard and experienced over time, but I mean it really just comes down to preference and regulations.

huntsfurfish
05-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Single is a bit easier when it comes to removal. Large single seems to get a better bite(larger gap).

cube
05-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Hey guys,

Singles are the law in some jurisdictions. Hence why some spoons come with both.
The research indicates the trebles are less likely to cause fatal injuries when compared to single hooks as they tend to hook closer to the lips and do not penetrate as deep.

In the end use what every you feel good with.

Wild&Free
05-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Only advantage would be easier removal, or legal compliance depending on jurisdiction.

the different hook would effect the action, but minimally.