PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish with boat

Grmpy
05-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Was thinking about buying a boat, was wondering what lakes are good for fishing and maybe camping and how far of a drive they are (I live in Calgary). Just trying to justify if buying a brand new boat is worth it. Have been looking at a Tracker 16'. Thanks in advance for any info.

TROLLER
05-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Most every place you pull the boat with the exception of Ghost is between 1 1/2 and 2 hrs. Chestemere is close but they also want an arm and a leg for a launching fee.

rena0040
05-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Im in south calgary and in 1-2hrs can fish: minniwanka, spray, barrier, chain, pcr, clear, keho, travers, macgregor, crawling valley.

Newell, upper/lower k are just over 2hrs

Im sure im missing someas well. Lots of options

Grmpy
05-10-2015, 08:16 PM
Im in south calgary and in 1-2hrs can fish: minniwanka, spray, barrier, chain, pcr, clear, keho, travers, macgregor, crawling valley.

Thanks for the reply, would some of these spots also be good for a weekend camping trip? camp grounds or not.

harryones
05-11-2015, 08:29 AM
Crawling Valley has an excellent campground and good Walleye and Pike fishing.

I would start with something small and used with the boat. See if you get the use out of it before committing major dollars.

Habfan
05-11-2015, 09:25 AM
If your a first time boat guy, I don't think you should start at Crawling Valley unless you want to lose a prop ! Lots of rocky,shallow structure,go slow and learn the lake !!

jwelds191
05-11-2015, 09:36 AM

Upper/Lower over 2 hours.... How slow ya driving!! :scared0018:

But yeah, he basically nailed them all. I have a boat in the SW of yyc, all those lakes are very accessible, just over an hours drive to most, 1.5-2 for places like CVR.

Minnewanka or kananaskis will likely be your favourite lakes if you like trout fishing.... Countdown to minnewanka opener 6 days!