PDA

View Full Version : Tapeworms in Goldeye

fox8kv
05-10-2015, 07:27 PM
I pulled 3 goldeye out of the SSR today and they had tape worms in them(lots). This was the first time i took fish out off the SSR to eat and is most likely my last. Is it normal to find tapeworms in fish? More so in the rivers?
Any feed back would be great, i cant stop washing my hands.

rycoma
05-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Yes it is almost all fish harbor some sort of parasite. It usually is a chain parasite that can only live in certian hosts and is spread by another ect. Most if not all are completey benign to humans as long as the flesh is cooked properly.

WayneChristie
05-10-2015, 08:41 PM
the larvae are airborne, if you werent wearing a mask when you cleaned them you are going to burst like the guy in Alien, tapeworms all over your house!

WayneChristie
05-10-2015, 08:44 PM
they should die if you cook the meat, but I wouldnt eat them. I eat the odd walleye out of the SSR but thats it.

fox8kv
05-10-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the input i did a bit of reading on it tonight and it look like they are harmless to people. They went in the trash can to bad:(

Habfan
05-11-2015, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the input i did a bit of reading on it tonight and it look like they are harmless to people. They went in the trash can to bad:(

Watch what you say on an open forum, wasting fish is a no no !!!

Positrac
05-11-2015, 09:47 AM
Watch what you say on an open forum, wasting fish is a no no !!!

Wasting fish is a no no. Wasting fish that are full of worms not so much.

FYI, cooking the fish will kill the worm. The freezer does not.

If you looked close enough at the trout that I used to catch growing up of Vancouver Island, they almost all had worms. Most people didn't notice them and certain watersheds were worse than others.

SammyIam
05-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Nothing wrong with a few worms...they add texture and complexity to your fish dish...

fox8kv
05-11-2015, 04:35 PM
http://esrd.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/wildlife-diseases/

A lot of good info here on a few different tapeworms in fish all harmless to humans apparently, just hard to wrap my head around eating tapeworms :snapoutofit:

EZM
05-11-2015, 05:03 PM
I caught some Bulls in BC and the fins were covered in parasites ..... this was from clean and clear waters .... not sure if they are very appetizing .... but they are not uncommon.