PDA

View Full Version : Where to order Hooks/Components from .....

EZM
05-10-2015, 07:45 PM
I saw a thread on single/trebles but didn't want to start a epic derail ....

I have been ordering my wolverine stainless xx strong rings and 3x-4x strong trebles from Rollie and Helen's muskie shop out of the US. The prices are fair and the selection is good but I typically wait until I have over $200 worth of stuff before I pull the trigger .... and you get dinged with duties, taxes and shipping.

Does anyone know where I could find barbless trebles? I'm also looking for quality hooks like Gamakatsu, Mustad, Owner in 3x or 4x strength in sizes from standard (8 or 10) up to 5/0. A Canadian supplier would be ideal.

I have been ordering barbed hooks and just using a dremel tool but this semi annual ritual (of changing over all my hooks) is getting to be a chore as I'm looking at over 500 cranks, spoons, and other lures. Some of the 3 treble crankbaits require me to grind down 9 points ........ doing the math on that makes me feel queasy.

Keep in mind I'm looking for high quality 3x/4x strength hooks of high quality - If anyone has a line on this ..... please share .... I appreciate it.

WayneChristie
05-10-2015, 08:19 PM

I have been ordering my wolverine stainless xx strong rings and 3x-4x strong trebles from Rollie and Helen's muskie shop out of the US. The prices are fair and the selection is good but I typically wait until I have over $200 worth of stuff before I pull the trigger .... and you get dinged with duties, taxes and shipping.

Does anyone know where I could find barbless trebles? I'm also looking for quality hooks like Gamakatsu, Mustad, Owner in 3x or 4x strength in sizes from standard (8 or 10) up to 5/0. A Canadian supplier would be ideal.

I have been ordering barbed hooks and just using a dremel tool but this semi annual ritual (of changing over all my hooks) is getting to be a chore as I'm looking at over 500 cranks, spoons, and other lures. Some of the 3 treble crankbaits require me to grind down 9 points ........ doing the math on that makes me feel queasy.

Keep in mind I'm looking for high quality 3x/4x strength hooks of high quality - If anyone has a line on this ..... please share .... I appreciate it.

has anyone ever told you that you have a wee bit of an addiction? :bad_boys_20:

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/fish_hooks-index.htm

Wild&Free
05-10-2015, 10:03 PM
EBay might be an option. some gear i can only find on eBay.

RavYak
05-10-2015, 10:17 PM
Why do you have to change all your hooks? You must be like the rest of us and only use 10 lures out of those 500 lol.

Fishinhole has some barbless trebles, I am guessing they just aren't the sizes or quality you are looking for though.

My guess is finding high quality barbless trebles is going to be a bit tricky as they are not in overly high demand.

Habfan
05-11-2015, 07:30 AM
Lure Making.com

EZM
05-11-2015, 07:34 AM
has anyone ever told you that you have a wee bit of an addiction? :bad_boys_20:

http://www.luremaking.com/catalogue/catalogue-index/fish_hooks-index.htm

I am well past the denial stage and gone through all the emotional steps ..... I'm at acceptance now.

Feels good to be free ....

Thanks for the link .... I will look through and see if they have barbless ones anywhere - they seem pretty hard to find.

Angler Innovations is one site I found last night ....

http://www.anglerinnovations.com/products/2083-ssc-cp

They do have the Maruto barbless hook but not in the 2x/3x strength but these Japanese hooks are very good quality ..... and come in all the sizes ...

This hook is "semi barbless" as they have small serrations on the points - not sure what exactly that does but it looks cool. I hope the fish agree.

EZM
05-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Why do you have to change all your hooks? You must be like the rest of us and only use 10 lures out of those 500 lol.

Fishinhole has some barbless trebles, I am guessing they just aren't the sizes or quality you are looking for though.

My guess is finding high quality barbless trebles is going to be a bit tricky as they are not in overly high demand.

Good question ...... I find most lures have a cheap hook on them. Rapala purchased VMC and the hooks seem to be getting thinner and more prone to bending. I typically keep the hooks on the lure that come with them and swap them out as I go - but I'm just thinking of going through and replacing all my hooks that are older, beginning to rust, have some bends etc...

I use my live well on my boat to hold 10 Plano 3700 size tackle trays but, although plugged with the rubber cork drain plug, it does get moist/humid in there so I'm seeing some rust on some of the tackle.

It might breath some new life into some of those old lures and I will use 20 of the 500 !! lol. You are right on that - I do definitely have my top few dozen lures I use.

JohninAB
05-11-2015, 09:06 AM
Good question ...... I find most lures have a cheap hook on them. Rapala purchased VMC and the hooks seem to be getting thinner and more prone to bending. I typically keep the hooks on the lure that come with them and swap them out as I go - but I'm just thinking of going through and replacing all my hooks that are older, beginning to rust, have some bends etc...

I use my live well on my boat to hold 10 Plano 3700 size tackle trays but, although plugged with the rubber cork drain plug, it does get moist/humid in there so I'm seeing some rust on some of the tackle.

It might breath some new life into some of those old lures and I will use 20 of the 500 !! lol. You are right on that - I do definitely have my top few dozen lures I use.

Try some of those silica packs in your trays. One per tray should help with the rusting.

I always try to leave the hooks out in the sun when possible to dry off before I put them away in my tackle trays. Seems to help.

I bought some Gamakatzu barbless hooks last winter from either Cabelas or the Fishin Hole. Had a good selection of sizes but not sure if their pricing was competitive or not with online suppliers.

cube
05-11-2015, 09:24 AM

Which live well. ie the front or the back?

bobalong
05-11-2015, 08:36 PM

Barbless hooks are hard to find because it is still just a very small portion of countries that require them (especially the US) but The Fishin' Hole carries some Gami
http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&se=21169

RavYak
05-11-2015, 08:43 PM
I use the plastic trays with drain holes so that they can dry and aren't as prone to rusting. Those trays work good but can be a bit of a pain with hooks sticking through the holes. Silica or something as mentioned would probably help a lot if keeping hooks in your live well.

With the prices of good quality replacement hooks I often just replace the whole lure as my lures are usually beat/scratched up by the time I have to replace the hooks. Every once in a while a hook bends/breaks quickly and I replace it but that isn't very often and usually I just steal a hook off another lure I don't use often lol.

EZM
05-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Which live well. ie the front or the back?

I am using the larger back livewell ..... fits about 10 standard 3700 series plano tackle trays with another 2 on top ..... I can also get 2 of those small rectangular size ones (for terminal tackle) and a spooling box tucked under the front lip.

It would be the ideal storage spot as I have never used my live well.

EZM
05-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Try some of those silica packs in your trays. One per tray should help with the rusting.

I always try to leave the hooks out in the sun when possible to dry off before I put them away in my tackle trays. Seems to help.

I bought some Gamakatzu barbless hooks last winter from either Cabelas or the Fishin Hole. Had a good selection of sizes but not sure if their pricing was competitive or not with online suppliers.

That's a good idea - Trophy Pike Hunter mentioned that today as well ...... I will definitely give that a go.

I'm actually thinking of going to a intermediate drawer chest tool box that I can lock up, and bolt down on the back casting deck or along a side somewhere.

I'm just not 100% sure how well it will hold up to the prolonged weather.

I;m a freaking tackle junkie. I pulled out all my trays (including my salmon/laker trays) and I have 25 full size 3700 trays and a few assorted other trays and a tub of retired lures and stuff. So I need something pretty big ..... like this .....

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/42-inch-10-drawer-black-top-chest/807148

I could put a cushion and side seat on the top maybe???? or as my wife says .... "why don't you just bring one or two tackle bags instead of hauling everything around with you all the time" ..... she doesn't understand !!!:argue2:

Wild&Free
05-12-2015, 01:48 AM
EZM,

this post reminds me of an old timer I would fish with back home. he had a large chest style tackle box, probably 2.5" square and 3' tall. weighed close to 50lbs and he'd lug it around everywhere. Never witnessed him use anything but a float, 3-4 split shots, a #4 or #6 hook and two soft unscented imitation eggs.

I pack one of those 3700 Plano boxes out and I have about 7 with various gear setup depending on where and what I'm fishing and one for various weights in storage. I find myself using mostly a slip sinker rig with bait or a crank or imitation minnow/juvenile fish/leech style jig...

At least tackle is a healthy addiction right?

JohninAB
05-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Issue with storing the trays in a livewell is there is no air circulation and it does get hot in there during the lazy hazy days of summer, especially when the boat is covered with a tarp.

jeprli
05-12-2015, 08:27 AM
Changing over to 3x/4x strength trebles add significant weight and will change action of your lures. Once upon a time I was lead by same idea, spent a small fortune on lures and top quality Japanese hooks.

Mustad KVD short shank trebles are very good, cheaper as well. These hooks snag less, inverted point.

If I'm expecting to catch bigger fish then I'll use double split rings, this will lessen leverage on hook during fight.

EZM
05-12-2015, 11:22 AM
Changing over to 3x/4x strength trebles add significant weight and will change action of your lures. Once upon a time I was lead by same idea, spent a small fortune on lures and top quality Japanese hooks.

Mustad KVD short shank trebles are very good, cheaper as well. These hooks snag less, inverted point.

If I'm expecting to catch bigger fish then I'll use double split rings, this will lessen leverage on hook during fight.

For small lures - it's definitely a consideration ..... on a 9"-14" Triple D a few grams does not make much of a difference.

I am going to an equal gram weight single on the small lures - and a shorter shank 2x/3x for the longer hooks and ironically - some of the 3x hooks weigh less compared to the cheap factory hook.

ontario gunner
05-12-2015, 01:46 PM
Captain hooks.com

I did a quick look and I found 4x barbless on there... I think it was about $11 for 100 size 6 trebles.

I bought all my stinger hooks, harness hooks and replacement spoon hooks there... For about $100 I'm set for 10 years or better.

TROLLER
05-12-2015, 02:03 PM

I buy Gamakatsu treble barbless at Bass Pro at Cross Iron Mall they are a regular stocked item in several sizes.

cube
05-12-2015, 02:06 PM
I am using the larger back livewell ..... fits about 10 standard 3700 series plano tackle trays with another 2 on top ..... I can also get 2 of those small rectangular size ones (for terminal tackle) and a spooling box tucked under the front lip.

It would be the ideal storage spot as I have never used my live well.

I store mine in the front well. I followed some advice on here and when to Greg Distributors and got a larger expandable plug to keep water out of the overflow port. With a plug in the drain and one in the over flow it now stays dry. At the end of the day I take the overflow plug out when I get home and it seems to keep things dry enough in there now.

Of course this would not work with the rear well. I suppose you could remove the two large round access covers in rear (just in front of the transom) as that would let things dry out.