PDA

View Full Version : Buck Lake Calhoun Bay

briangeorge
05-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Did a tour of Buck Lake (South) today. Just a heads up everyone about the 2 launches into the creek at Calhoun Bay. They have chains across them with warning signs on both launches warning that due to continuing low water levels launching any larger boats is not recommended.
We have noticed where the creek opens into the Lake the last couple years there has been almost like an underground hump that is getting worse every year. Plus 2 years ago there was an eager beaver causing problems in the creek as well. Looks like only canoes and small tinners will be able to get thru there now from what I see.
On the good side the Town Launch looked good and they had 1 of the docks already in.

Divert
05-10-2015, 09:10 PM
So with the chains up does that mean anything on a trailer cant make it as you cant get a trailer to the water?

briangeorge
05-10-2015, 09:20 PM
Yes that's what I saw. Unless they take the chains down before opening day of fish season which is Friday.
What size boat do you have?

Divert
05-10-2015, 09:32 PM
I have a 16ft open bow fiberglass which doesnt need much water but probably wont work. My friend has a 15ft tinny which only seems to need a few inches especially if we walk it out with rubber boots, however it is on a trailer and is to big to launch otherwise.

briangeorge
05-11-2015, 06:09 AM
Might be worth your while to go scope it out yourself. I know its ****ty if you plan on camping there and can't get your boat out. Like I said the town launch is open and I did not get over to the Provincial Park Campground/launch over on the Northwest side to check it out. May be someone on here can give us a report on that one.

EZM
05-11-2015, 07:24 AM
There's one lake that is need of a decent deep water launch ...... the one on the south side by the store is "controlled" and guarded by the local mafia and provincial park on the north end is pretty shallow as well.

briangeorge
05-11-2015, 07:30 AM
You are sure right about that EZM. The few times I used the launch at the Northwest Corner Provincial Park it was dicey getting out thru that creek as well.
When you say South side by the store do you mean by Buck Lake Bob's Store (West Country Leisure)? I have never launched there but I did not think there would be a problem. Looks like parking for your vehicle and trailer might be limited tho.