PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lake Canmore

tazman_1
01-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Never been on this lake, just wondering how the ice conditions and fishing are??

nicemustang
01-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Ice will be deep there as it's in the mountains, heard it was 18". It's a big lake with lots of fish and they are everywhere, sometimes they just don't bit though. Haven't made it myself yet this year but we are going saturday. A little advice, go early, and I mean really early. They bit best just at first light.

briverb
01-08-2009, 08:35 AM
How deep is the snow on the ice this year? Do I need my snowshoes? I usually walk to the west side of the lake.

Thanks

nicemustang
01-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Not sure, but it's usually hard because of all the winds. We will be there Saturday early morning, before it's light to get setup. Red tacoma or grey Rogue (if my buddy is going to drive this time), 4 man ice cube, will be at driftwood or sparrowhawk.

FishorDie
01-08-2009, 04:06 PM
i was there like a week ago... and there was like 2 inchs of snow on the west side

iliketrout
01-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I was there last Sunday. The fishing was slow where we were, just a bit past Sparrowhawk. I was using a white buzz bomb tipped with smelt. I would definitely use a stinger hook about 3 inches behind the primary hook, all of my bites and fish landed were on the stinger.

Very little snow on the lake and pretty thick ice. Lots of guys out last weekend.

tazman_1
01-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the info!

Albertadiver
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I was there last Sunday. The fishing was slow where we were, just a bit past Sparrowhawk. I was using a white buzz bomb tipped with smelt. I would definitely use a stinger hook about 3 inches behind the primary hook, all of my bites and fish landed were on the stinger.

Very little snow on the lake and pretty thick ice. Lots of guys out last weekend.

I'm weetaweded, what's a stinger hook? Is it like a whitefish setup?

nicemustang
01-08-2009, 08:49 PM
That's exactly what I do too, just put a small little hook within 2-3 inches of main hook and stick it near the tail of the smelt in it's side. Buzz bombs and tube jigs work great there.