PDA

View Full Version : Kamooki Smartfish Lures

Lowrance Fishburn
05-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Hey has anyone seem the Kamooki Smartfish lure? Was a hit at the sportsman show and they look really cool in the water in the demo videos, counterpoint balanced and nice wobble action when retrieving.

Anyone had any actual experience with these bad boys?

topgun
05-11-2015, 08:51 AM
I used them thru the ice this past winter and I had tremendous luck tipped with a small minnow or jus on its own. I bought 15. Lol. Anxious to try them casting

Rennich98
05-11-2015, 09:05 AM
They have a ton of them in the wholesale in Calgary...haven't checked any Edmonton stores but I would expect them to carry them too

cube
05-11-2015, 09:18 AM
They have a ton of them in the wholesale in Calgary...haven't checked any Edmonton stores but I would expect them to carry them too

Also at the Fish n Hole.

At the show they said they were going to come out with a larger size in July which I would very much like to give a try.

Lowrance Fishburn
05-11-2015, 09:41 AM
JET - Were u using a snap swivel at the end of your line to tie on your hook? That is how i typically operate but the videos it appears the line/leader is tied direct. Do u recall how u set yours up? Could need to be tied direct to enhance or correctly maximize the movement, not sure.

jwelds191
05-11-2015, 10:05 AM
JET - Were u using a snap swivel at the end of your line to tie on your hook? That is how i typically operate but the videos it appears the line/leader is tied direct. Do u recall how u set yours up? Could need to be tied direct to enhance or correctly maximize the movement, not sure.

All my presentations used to be swivel directly to lure, however, after switching to fluoro leader direct to nearly anything I'm fishing, I'm convinced it's the best way to present a bait/lure.

PS I used a double barrel swivel to attach my braid to leader.

Lowrance Fishburn
05-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Im excited to try mine this weekend. Usually i always run a snap swivel for line/lure connections to avoid line twist but this lure doesn't spin or anything so should be fine to tie direct. I generally use an improved albright going braid/fluoro and and improved cinch when tying fluoro direct.

I gonna try slowly bouncing this rig off the bottom as seen in the demo vids, action looks incredible. Hopefully wake up some big pike or pre spawn lakers along the thermocline

Lowrance Fishburn
05-11-2015, 10:50 AM
All my presentations used to be swivel directly to lure, however, after switching to fluoro leader direct to nearly anything I'm fishing, I'm convinced it's the best way to present a bait/lure.

PS I used a double barrel swivel to attach my braid to leader.

I used to use a barrel swivel to tie my braid to fluoro as well but i didnt like how the swivel couldn't be reeled in through the guides and also having 2 knots is worse than one.

If u are interested you should try either learning a doublt uni knot or improved albright for tying line-line. Actually improves knot/line strenght considerably and makes it so you are able to reel the line and leader through your guides easily and also makes casting quite simple. Just make sure to snip your tag ends nice and short so they dont catch the guides or pull more line from your spool when casting.

Cheers.

huffy
05-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Tried for the first time this weekend and had success both casting from shore and trolling. Casting from shore I could feel the lure bouncing off the rocks and as advertised, didn't snag. Worked great until a large pike swam off with it. I will buy more.

Unregistered user
05-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Tried them at Minnewanka this weekend, no bites but fishing was slow for most people and lures. Is $14.99 the going rate?

Robmcleod82
05-20-2015, 10:57 PM
I was having pike smashing them on the 8th. Had two clean brake me off on 12 pound braid. Hopefully they come out with a bigger size soon. I missed quite a few fish, have to give them an extra second to get that single hook in their mouth.

CK Angler
05-20-2015, 11:35 PM
I had success with them ice fishing this season, but they were getting outfished big time this last weekend by live targets lipless rattle bait.

I will always have a smartlure in my bag, they work, and I am really looking forward to when they come out with a larger size.

cory3006
05-21-2015, 05:46 PM
Wholesale Sports in south Edmonton had lots the last time I was there, just over $10 if I remember correctly.

Walleye101
06-11-2015, 08:59 PM
I personally think they are garbage. The line gets hooked on the back hook steadily. That's probably why those Pike were snapping off so easily.

cube
06-11-2015, 09:55 PM
I personally think they are garbage. The line gets hooked on the back hook steadily. That's probably why those Pike were snapping off so easily.

You might consider stiffening the rear hook with some shrink tubing to help this. You could also use a single hook instead of a treble. I also find less whippy rods do better on lures with this issue.

Good luck

super mario
06-13-2015, 11:40 AM
x2

EZM
06-13-2015, 08:12 PM
Testing lures on Pike isn't really a test in my opinion ...... I'm pretty sure there isn't too much you can't in front of a pike to make him bite it.

I have a couple still in the box ...... not compelled to try them really ...... they do look nice though. I could see it as a decent option for cast and bottom bounce twitch retrieve type of thing ..... but I've been sticking to larger jigs to do this ....... I will give them a whirl.

I am sure I'm not missing a lure revolution like the Banjo Minnow.

creighton
06-13-2015, 10:07 PM
like EZM said- cast, bottom bounce then twitch and retrieve. I was doing this across a couple of canals and I caught a couple small pike with it. I well defiantly try the smart lure for ice fishing.