PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird 140c Fishin Buddy

Lowrance Fishburn
05-11-2015, 10:34 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Hummingbird portable fish/depth finders?

I recently bought the 140c series and the only notable difference from the 120c is the 140c has color display.

They also claim to have side finding sonar and can bidirectionally view the bottom etc

Anyone try these out or have any tips with using them? This is my first time so i dont wanna screw anything up...We'll see about that.

EZM
05-11-2015, 11:30 AM
I have not used that unit but keep in mind side finder is NOT the same as side imaging.

It's a vary basic circular sonar that will indicate fish (or other returns such as obstructions, weeds, ect...) in the direction of the return as displayed.

Side imaging will render a display that you can see the size of the return, density of the return, direction, depth and determine movement .... it also provides superior target separation (resolution) and can be used effectively to determine what the return actually is (and if it's worth casting toward).

The side finder will just let you know something is there - so you might be casting to a fish, or a stump .....

Nevertheless - for $300-$400 it's a great portable unit for a kayak, tinner, canoe, inflatable etc...

Big Red 250
05-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Hummingbird portable fish/depth finders?

I recently bought the 140c series and the only notable difference from the 120c is the 140c has color display.

They also claim to have side finding sonar and can bidirectionally view the bottom etc

Anyone try these out or have any tips with using them? This is my first time so i dont wanna screw anything up...We'll see about that.

if YOUR NOT SURE how to use it, can you not set it on auto and watch the screen, see what it does, maybe learn something that way.
I'm on my second one already and I really like them. But I find that anything that breaks the beam shows up as a fish, wether it be a stump, a bubble or anything else.
I only use mine as a depth finder, not a fish finder. I like to be able to see what type of bottom it is and if there are any weeds.
I mainly fish for walleye, so I have my preferred depths, depending on the time of year, and time of day, body of water. I also catch different species of fish in that depth.

Wild&Free
05-12-2015, 05:10 AM
I have an older portable hummingbird, 150 or 160, can't recall exactly atm. It works great as a depth finder, but when it comes to marking fish it's useless. my dad will jig walleye up from right below the transducer and it shows nadda. great for finding structure though.

Kingfisher
05-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Just on a note I was talking to a few guys, one at Wholesale and one at Bass Pro. They say that unit from Hummingbird is not made any more. The factory they used to make them at either burnt down or closed down. I'm not sure which. Anyway do not drop it. If it breaks don't even try to get parts from Hummingbird. They don't have any and won't until they can find another factory in China or where ever to build them again for them.

Lowrance Fishburn
05-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Just on a note I was talking to a few guys, one at Wholesale and one at Bass Pro. They say that unit from Hummingbird is not made any more. The factory they used to make them at either burnt down or closed down. I'm not sure which. Anyway do not drop it. If it breaks don't even try to get parts from Hummingbird. They don't have any and won't until they can find another factory in China or where ever to build them again for them.

Really? Thats interesting. I got mine at fishin hole and comes with a 1 year warranty, i actually returned the original one i bought because it appeared the bottom portion of the transducer pole was sitting a little crooked on the base so i swapped it for another one, no complaints...Took the new one home and opened it only to find the same slightly angled bottom piece of the transducer so I can only assume this is correct.

Anyone have any input on the wonky bottom piece? Is it angled like that for the side finding feature?