PDA

View Full Version : R.A.P. Rewards?

The Flint&Fly Guy
05-11-2015, 02:04 PM
so whats the scoop with getting a reward when you call someone in? what kind of a reward? how big? how soon? what kind of a process? a reward is not my motivation for calling someone in, but it would be nice to know how to get it as a side benefit!

ORVIS
05-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Its a load of crap, we did a huge bust and never got anything out of it. Iv called in over a dozen poachers and never got call backs when I was promised someone would get back with me.

DiabeticKripple
05-11-2015, 02:49 PM
so whats the scoop with getting a reward when you call someone in? what kind of a reward? how big? how soon? what kind of a process? a reward is not my motivation for calling someone in, but it would be nice to know how to get it as a side benefit!

if they charge someone and the person is found guilty and pays their fines you get a kickback of the money.

NEWB
05-11-2015, 02:51 PM
if they charge someone and the person is found guilty and pays their fines you get a kickback of the money.

Only if the person pays thier fines?

curtis_rak
05-11-2015, 03:01 PM
It's a similar program to crime stoppers. If your tip leads to charges you could get a cash reward.

I highly doubt you would get anything if just a ticket is given to someone based on your tip, like crime stoppers... Every reward is based on the detail of the tip, the potential risk to the tipster, and the number and type of charges laid.

If your tip led to an arrest, criminal charges or something significant I could see a small cash reward. Don't expect thousands of dollars. Hundreds at best.

At the end of the day it's a small incentive to call in. But realistically I think most of our satisfaction should just come from seeing F&W show up and deal with the person and maybe making them think twice next time.

fish_e_o
05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
i think i got $150 or so it was many moons ago but nothing since. i never deposited it, i told them to keep it.

DiabeticKripple
05-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Only if the person pays thier fines?

yup

The Flint&Fly Guy
05-11-2015, 03:29 PM
i think i got $150 or so it was many moons ago but nothing since. i never deposited it, i told them to keep it.

ya, I kinda don't think it would quite feel right to take a reward for getting someone punished.

Habfan
05-11-2015, 04:32 PM
My buddy called in a guy that was fishing out of season and kept an undersized pike, called it in and officers came and caught the guy. He got $500 sent to him in the mail ! That was 5 yrs ago.

neekrivers
05-11-2015, 04:42 PM
I phoned in a guy that was fishing on the wharf at jackfish lake 2 years - said he caught 2 nice pike to take home - was dumb enough to pull them up and show me, one was a walleye and other was a pike maybe 14-15". I told him those are 2 different fish and that he should release them, he said no and put them back on his rope in the water. Ok fair enough I gave you chance to do right and explain to you that those fish are 2 different species. So I called RAP number, F&W phoned me within minutes, said he seen me coming in on the boat as he was hiding in the bush watching other poachers and didn't see the guy I called about. He caught the guy trying to leave with the fish and after he was done with him phoned me and thanked me for the tip and said I would get a reward in the mail. 6 months later I phoned F&W an they sent me a cheque for $400. I thought I was gonna get a voucher for tim's or fishing stores, so that was a nice surprise to get. But I guess its worth it to pay this as it helps get idiot fishermen off the water and try to help preserve the fishing for the respectful people to enjoy.

EZM
05-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Its a load of crap, we did a huge bust and never got anything out of it. Iv called in over a dozen poachers and never got call backs when I was promised someone would get back with me.

If you felt you "never got anything out of it" that's unfortunate.

I'd suggest that knowing you did your part to help protect our resource would have been reward enough.

embury93
05-11-2015, 06:19 PM

I'd suggest that knowing you did your part to help protect our resource would have been reward enough.

Reported a guy this weekend had 8 walleye full of eggs in a spawning river that branches off the pembina. They called me today and asked me to testify, ceased all his fish, equipment, nearly took his truck was charged with 7-8 offences as well as breaching his probation and providing the false information. Him and his buddy told me when we drove by that he was treaty status which the officer later told me he wasnt and that even if he had been it was still protected waters. They were also quite drunk. I dont really care when it comes to recieving a reward, just want to keep the idiots who abuse the rules away, as the rules are put in place for a reason to ensure sustainability.

Lefty-Canuck
05-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Exactly...call whether you get rewarded or not...are people that shallow?

LC

ghostguy6
05-11-2015, 06:50 PM
I called in a poacher that had 13 live perch and an undersized pike in his boat. I took photos of the fish, boat, trailer, truck and driver before calling it in. F&W asked me to follow the vehicle until they could intercept and I ended up getting a $500 reward for it. I didn't even know there was a reward. The only reason I took the money is because I was told that it would actually cost the government more in accounting fees to keep track of the money that it would to just issue a check.

schmedlap
05-11-2015, 07:03 PM
Reported a guy this weekend had 8 walleye full of eggs in a spawning river that branches off the pembina. They called me today and asked me to testify, ceased all his fish, equipment, nearly took his truck was charged with 7-8 offences as well as breaching his probation and providing the false information. Him and his buddy told me when we drove by that he was treaty status which the officer later told me he wasnt and that even if he had been it was still protected waters. They were also quite drunk. I dont really care when it comes to recieving a reward, just want to keep the idiots who abuse the rules away, as the rules are put in place for a reason to ensure sustainability.
Wish more people would take such an attitude and active role. I reported poachers a few times long before there were any financial rewards, and I'll do so again if the occasion arises, without any care about any rewards. Hope those morons get a very serious penalty.
More commonly, I've not hesitated to "remind" the ignorant I ran across about the regs and the manner in which they were non-complying, and advising them to desist before any real damage was done (they hadn't yet managed, so far as I could tell, to "succeed" in those cases).
But, I think the rewards system is valuable, if only to give some incentive to those who might need it - it can be intimidating to some to report those they think may find a way to retaliate.