PDA

View Full Version : venison experiment question

gunner 83
03-11-2007, 10:02 PM
hello all, i have some beautiful cuts that i'm wondering how to prepare for supper, and i got an idea, just curious if anybody has ever tried anything like this. i'm thinking of taking some honey and chili powder to create a sweet/spicy kind of flavor then slowly pan searing the cuts. anybody ever done anything like this?

Tucumseh
03-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Gunner,
I'm assuming your taking about chops...
I don't think I have heard of a mixture of chili peppers and honey but if you like a sweet steak try this marinade mix.

INGREDIENTS
3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/4 cup finely minced sweet onion
cracked black pepper
DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, brown sugar, onion, and pepper. Pour over desired meat, and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 4 hours, turning meat occasionally.

You've got the the right idea about searing it over a high heat, this locks in the juices but don't over do it. Once you have both sides seared turn down the heat to about medium and pan fry to desired doneness. I prefer my venison steaks medium rare, not much fat marbling in venison so it has a tendency to be dry.
G'luck with supper!

BL
03-11-2007, 10:37 PM
I think both would be better BBQ'ed than fried. My opinion. BL

gunner 83
03-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I think both would be better BBQ'ed than fried. My opinion. BL

agreed, but that requires a BBQ :( :( :(

venison
03-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Try putting the seasonimg on the meat. into a zip lock for an hour or so. Hot olive oil in a pan, with or without onions chopped very fine. sear the meat on both sides. Do not over cook.
When the meat is done, remove from pan, add honey, I usually use 1/4 cup or so., but really I measure nothing.:o

Melt the honey and heat for a minute or two, deglazing the pan. Return the venison, and cook a few minutes on each side.

Can be used for other meats as well. I often cook boneless pork or bear like this. Sometimes I spice with curry powder or 5 spice Chinese, garlic, or my personal favorite ....green tabasco sauce, in the bag for an hour.

I tried the green Tabasco a few years ago in AZ and really like it. I use it everyday on eggs or whatever. Gret flavor without all the heat. A friend sent me up a gallon from the U.S.:eek :eek

If you cook from the beginning with honey, I find the honey burns before the meat is done. Cook the meat then glaze with honey.

shotgun
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Longview Jerky Shop does Sweet and Spicy Jerky now. Just got my meat back and I have been pounding jerky all day....not sure if that sounds right...

aka bushmaster
03-12-2007, 02:02 PM
LMAO @ shotgun !!:rollin

shotgun
03-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Well ya know it has been kinda quiet around the office today.....:D

BeerSlayer1
03-12-2007, 06:23 PM
Tuc's recipe is pretty good, we use one that's very similar but I would add some crushed garlic. Enjoy.

kanonfodder
03-12-2007, 10:50 PM
in any marinade I like to use either red wine or JD as the alcohol helps break down the meat and make it less tough....course I add alcohol to most of my dishes for flavoring of course