PDA

View Full Version : Eagle lake

Savage270
01-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Does anyone know how to get on to Eagle Lake just east of Strathmore? I have a couple buddies who have never been ice fishing and it is very close for them. What kind of fish are left in there anymore? I haven't been there since I was a kid.

Duster
01-08-2009, 08:15 AM
I know that there is a launch on the north end of the lake, you turn at the tree nurserie and just keep heading south until you come to the lake, there is another launch at the campground but i am not sure if it is open in the winter. That lake is very tough to fish, I know that there are still some pike and walleye in there, but very hard to catch, If I were you I would take them somewhere where you are going to catch a bunch of fish {Twin Valley Reservoir,or Pine Coullee something like that. Alot of people get skunked on Eagle Lake.

Hoser42
01-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Hey Duster, where is Twin Valley? I need somewhere new to take the kids that is somewhat close to Calgary. Chain is getting old.

Savage, I got skunked last weekend at Eagle, but a few years back we fished it a few times and had good action for hammer handles on tip ups. I'm sure there's probably still a bunch of small pike and maybe a few Walleye as well.

nicemustang
01-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Don't go to eagle, waste of time IMO. You'll have better luck at the south end of Chestemere is you want to catch pike, just might not catch a keeper out of there. South end, park at the dike, walk out until you see hole everywhere (150-250 feet), use smelt on jigs. I usually catch 3-4 in a couple hours as they cruise around the weeds.

extreme288
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Was out to Chestermere today with my son.Snowing... -17... windchill -25. wind 30+kph zero vis at times....Priceless. Managed 5 through the hole and missed 8 flags.
4 on the tippys with smelts, one jigged with yellowgreeny grub. Me thinks they'll take any presentations. Measured one at about 20" 2 1/2 to 3 lbs.
South end about 100 yrds NW off outlet canel. Fished solid 5 hours. That was a whole lot better than Pine yesterday. Missed two flag ups Thats it. Fished just off Sandy Cove. Off the lake by 3 pm. Seems to be good ice. Some trails through the packed snow. Not many.