PDA

View Full Version : Chain Lakes Report...

TheWelder
01-08-2009, 03:52 PM
....as if a report is needed :lol:

Typical Chain Lakes Ice Fishing... fish after fish after fish after fish..... all carbon copies of each other :lol: We brought home 30 last Saturday, 28 were exactly 8 3/8" one was 6 7/8" and one was a wopping 9 5/16 :lol::lol: .

Goin again on Saturday with more people, hopefully we'll come home with 65 this weekend :lol:

SuCraM
01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
Ya Chain is always pretty decent except for around the full moon during the day. Last time I was there I caught one that was around 14 inches could believe my eyes till I measured it. By far the biggest I have ever caught outta there. I am probably going to head down on Sunday again. Tight lines everyone and stay safe.

nicemustang
01-08-2009, 04:12 PM
I've also caught one about that size there too last year, and a 4 lb sucker right after another. That's not a challenge though anymore...

TheWelder
01-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Everybody I've talked to about Chain has caught Suckers in there....we never have...and we ice-fish it religously every winter. What am I doin wrong...errrr... right I guess

SuCraM
01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Ive caught suckers there as well and the key to targeting them is to get your bait right on the bottom or about an inch from bottom and you will catch one for sure.

Hoser42
01-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for weeding out all the little ones. Maybe I'll have a better chance of getting a nice one this weekend. :wave::wave:

Freeman
01-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Everybody I've talked to about Chain has caught Suckers in there....we never have...and we ice-fish it religously every winter. What am I doin wrong...errrr... right I guess

Suckers are very active in March, fishing shallow area alot of suckers there

Off in the Bushes
01-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Where is the best place to fish on the Chain Lakes has I have not ice fished it before going up on Monday.

SuCraM
01-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Anywhere is good in my opinion.

nicemustang
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Anywhere, you can't go wrong. But we find it best right off the bench there is a point (where you park if you don't want to drive on) fish in 18-20 feet. Throw the little ones back as there is 12-14 inch ones in there. Be patient if they stop biting, have a beer, they will be back and they swim around in a school i believe. That's at least what we find when we go.

Lethalconnection
01-08-2009, 09:00 PM
south end of the lake.....anywhere, north end you will catch fish but you wont have the action like at the south end

TheWelder
01-09-2009, 04:53 PM
We fish right at the South end, if its windy on the west side to stay outta the wind........14 more hours:p

SuCraM
01-09-2009, 05:26 PM
Awesome tight lines tomorrow Welder. i am heading down with my girlfriend on Sunday for her first time ice fishing and cant wait should be an awesome time.

TheWelder
01-10-2009, 06:53 PM
It sucked today..... 5 hours, 9 rods......15 fish. :confused:

Damn full moon anyway........

slingshotz
01-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Went down there today as well after lunch, it was like a parking lot there in the south. First time there in many years and I was surprised with the amount of people. Decided to drive north a bit to find some clear space and I guess that was the wrong move. Had not even a nibble for the time we were there. Was in about 20-25 feet of water and tried little mealworms on hooks, shiny jigs and some powerbaits at different depths. Does everyone typically just use maggots on hooks near the bottom?

At least it was still a nice day to get out for some scenery and fresh air :)

riskytype
01-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm heading down for about noon on Sunday. My wife is coming for the first time on the ice and she is scared sleepless and we haven't even left yet. This will be the first time for my daughters also. My oldest is 4 and she still isn't sleeping because she is too excited (I hope this excitement continues for years to come). My youngest is 2 1/2. I'm scared about her on the ice, my auger is 9" and she measures 8" at the shoulders with her arms up. I'm sure she will be fine with wife on the shore.

Hope to get the girls hooked up.

Cheers,:wave:

denpacc
01-11-2009, 10:08 AM
Chain Lakes is where I bring novice ice fishers cause there is typically so much action. I think I've been skunked only once since I started going in 1978. Definitely a fun lake to fish. ... and the OP was right "as if a report is needed." :lol::lol:

Cheers

riskytype
01-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Well the wind was blowing like mad but each of the girls caught a trout. My oldest caught a monster at 13'. I couldn't believe it ! Wish the wind wasn't blowing so the girls could actually stand without getting blown over. The ice was at maximum 12''.

Cheers,