PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Waterton NP

HighlandHeart
05-15-2015, 08:33 AM
I'm thinking of heading down to Waterton National Park this weekend to fish the shore of some of the lakes and maybe fish Cameron creek. I am new to Alberta and all of my previous fishing was in the Atlantic ocean or in northern lakes in the Canadian Shield. Is Waterton worth spending a day in the rain or should I head somewheres else? I'm just looking to catch and release some rainbows or brookies, not looking for giant trophies to measure and photograph yet. I have a canoe so I don't have to fish from shore, even if I prefer to.

TROLLER
05-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Head over to Payne lake. it is only a short drive east of Waterton and has good rainbows.

It is at Mountview and only a few kilo's off the road. If you don't mind a bit further drive then Police Lake southwest of Cardston has nice rainbows. Both you can canoe but be mindful that part of the province can and is very windy at times

The-Legend
05-15-2015, 09:59 AM
Did real well fishing Cameron last year from shore.. Right side of the lake by a bunch of fallen trees.

Orange panther martens...

HighlandHeart
05-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the information. Now I'm wondering if it is worth heading out with it raining and blowing. There's always tomorrow.

bessiedog
05-16-2015, 11:12 AM
just remember

no bait

no lead

...... bead head prince is gold in cameron!!

Waterton Lake has some monster pike.. and lakers... boat needed

huge pike...... mega huge

Pudelpointer
05-16-2015, 03:37 PM
.... and you need a National Park Pass and a National Park fishing license.

Wes_G
05-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Is Cameron Creek open yet? 95% of flowing water that direction is closed till the middle of June, but I know national parks have there own set or regs.

HighlandHeart
05-17-2015, 12:21 AM
Waterton Lakes National Park (WLNP)

Open Seasons

May 16 to September 7
Akamina Lake, Cameron Lake and Creek, Crandell Lake, Waterton Lakes (Upper and Middle).

What part of the Belly river is the North Fork?

Tabers Best
05-18-2015, 09:06 AM
Is Cameron ice free now?