PDA

View Full Version : sylvan

zezer
01-08-2009, 05:21 PM
anyone been to mcgregor lately? headin out this weekend......hit sylvan last weekend seen tonnes of whites and the infamous molly and a few of her close family members but talk about a lack of action...no hits!

crocket
01-08-2009, 10:35 PM
you might have to trade that truck in for a bigboy truck,and then you can go fishing:lol:

TexasTornado
01-09-2009, 07:30 AM
Sylvan is absolutely dead right now, very very slow

crocket
01-09-2009, 10:07 PM
why is sylvan so dead, when we see so many fish how do we make them bite. whites jacks perch ect. we did find the walleye agressive.

TundraBuck
01-09-2009, 10:11 PM
The Sylvan walleye are usually pretty agressive. Perch usually are too once you find the ticket. The trick is to keep switching up. They're always feeding on something.

crocket
01-09-2009, 10:15 PM
I think we threw the whole tackle box down, your right the more we offered the more they looked and more hits we got. There just fussy, especially the big jacks 30inch plus

Springer
01-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I was considering fishing Sylvan this Sunday. What part of the lake are you fishing? I was out from the Marina two weeks ago and never got a sniff either.
Is there a road west of the town of Sylvan that you go North onto the lake?

MB1
01-09-2009, 11:10 PM
range road 20 takes you right on to the lake at half moon bay, you'll see rhe tents. I've heard of RR23 but don't know?

TundraBuck
01-09-2009, 11:38 PM
RR 20 - 23 will get you on the lake. 23 is the most popular.

MB1
01-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Where does that come out at? And when are we gonna meet to catch some fish?

TundraBuck
01-10-2009, 08:07 AM
RR23 comes out at the Kuusamo compression station. There is a turn off highway 11. It's a small island of land between hwy 11 and 11a. So you take 23 north off highway 11, hit 11a, and keep going north on 23.

Springer
01-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for directions. With any luck I'll be able to post some photos.

crocket
01-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Hey springer we were fishing out at sunbreaker cove.As far as i know there is only one road into the resort, backroads map shows it,its on the north end. we seen lots of whites(40 a day) and some large jacks 30 inch plus. go down the boat launch go 300 yards to the north to the small point, go straight out aprox 300 yards, you should be in 12-14ft of water with a sandy bottom. Good luck,has been a week but everything was super fussy, even the jacks.*

Springer
01-12-2009, 05:23 AM
WEll not even a sniff again at Sylvan. The wind was unbelievable horrid.I did get some laughs watching people chase their tents across the lake. Its got to pick up some time.

surface2feather
01-12-2009, 07:54 AM
was there too, didn't have any luck. Was very skeptic about going out there b/c i'm fishing out of a 4 man ice cube and didn't want to be anybody's comic relief...but I think was the 38th time my girlfriend suggested "we just try it" that I gave in. The shack held up very well, the tie straps work great. Taking a drill along to help with starter holes for the pegs helped A LOT!

Sir. Kenneth
01-12-2009, 01:54 PM
was there too, didn't have any luck. Was very skeptic about going out there b/c i'm fishing out of a 4 man ice cube and didn't want to be anybody's comic relief...but I think was the 38th time my girlfriend suggested "we just try it" that I gave in. The shack held up very well, the tie straps work great. Taking a drill along to help with starter holes for the pegs helped A LOT!

I was wondering about using a drill to get the pegs started? worked good then eh? The auger screws actually work better if you don't clear the snow off the place you are trying to put them in for some reason? I was out at Pine yesterday and man was i ever glad i decided to strap my ice cube down first thing in the morning "just in case". Bought mine last season and i am still very impressed with it! i Couldnt believe how hard the wind was blowing and although it wasn't as warm as it usually is because there was lots of draft coming through it sure worked great to keep us out of the wind. Would definitely recommend the ice cube to anybody looking for a hut of that type.

crownroyal
01-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I use a cordless drill with a 3/8" bit to predrill the holes for the ice screws. I kick the snow down to the ice for that small spot and then drill because I've haven't ever had enough firm snow for the ice screws to hold. I also like to clear my spot to the ice with a shovel before putting the tent up as I don't hardly ever move around. I know it's one extra step, but it makes the surface level so my kids and old folks don't slip and stumble on the ruts and grooves that form on unpacked snow. Just check the flaps once in awhile to see if they haven't frozen down. I skimmed water into the corner of my tent for a one and only time. Now that flap smells like hot chocolate, better than another warm liquid I guess.

crocket
01-12-2009, 09:20 PM
just a reply on the ice picks, drill sounds alot easier for sure. I just clear the snow, picks 2 to 3 ft from the shack,3 to 4 taps with a small hammer they turn in easy by hand. hammer is small and always works even with a frozen battery.

TexasTornado
01-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I have never experienced fishing this bad in all my days, Sylvan is horrible right now.

crownroyal
01-13-2009, 11:23 AM
just a reply on the ice picks, drill sounds alot easier for sure. I just clear the snow, picks 2 to 3 ft from the shack,3 to 4 taps with a small hammer they turn in easy by hand. hammer is small and always works even with a frozen battery.

Never thought of that, good idea. That will save me from bringing my drill inside after each trip.

crownroyal
01-13-2009, 11:31 AM
I have never experienced fishing this bad in all my days, Sylvan is horrible right now.

Where have you tried? (end of RR 23, marina, Sunbreaker Cove or Honeymoon Bay). I've only gone twice and it's slow at the end of RR 23. Not sure if I want to head out this weekend if it's that bad (or avoid your area).

TexasTornado
01-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Where have you tried? (end of RR 23, marina, Sunbreaker Cove or Honeymoon Bay). I've only gone twice and it's slow at the end of RR 23. Not sure if I want to head out this weekend if it's that bad (or avoid your area).

I have been all over now, i even resorted to drilling holes in the marina and where the kids are skating. The state of Texas would be proud of the amount of holes i have drilled.

crownroyal
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I have been all over now, i even resorted to drilling holes in the marina and where the kids are skating. The state of Texas would be proud of the amount of holes i have drilled.

Lol, thanks for the update, grim as it may be.

TundraBuck
01-13-2009, 09:43 PM
We were catching fish on the weekend.