PDA

View Full Version : Red Horse Suckers?

edmhunter
05-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Was fishing on the NSR today and caught 5 big Red Horse Suckers, was wondering if anybody here keeps them and eats them?

WillyOneStyle
05-18-2015, 12:46 AM
Was fishing on the NSR today and caught 5 big Red Horse Suckers, was wondering if anybody here keeps them and eats them?

not me

Redfrog
05-18-2015, 12:51 AM
They make awesome fish cakes. Smoke 'em, add to mashed potatoes, chopped green onions, salt and pepper. Make patties and brown in a cast iron pan.Delish.:)
No smoker, just cook in a fry pan and then make the cakes.

just like New England crab cakes/

Hydro1
05-18-2015, 12:52 AM
I have never caught one in alberta. Cool catch.
Last summer while camping in bc, my brother caught a few every evening. Decided to try them out. Cooked them over the fire in tin foil with lemon and butter. Pretty nasty.

Cooked them battered and deep fried, much better.
Definetly not a good trout but palatable at least.

edmhunter
05-18-2015, 08:23 AM
I will say one thing about them Red Horse, those suckers sure do but up a nice fight! :)

waterninja
05-18-2015, 09:35 AM
I will say one thing about them Red Horse, those suckers sure do but up a nice fight! :)
Have to agree with you about the fight they put up. I catch them all the time in the NSR and I have a lot of respect for those toothless buggers. They are also, on average, a little heavier then other sucker species.

Red Bullets
05-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Here are some recipes for sucker. I have had canned sucker in tomato sauce and it was just as good as canned salmon ot tuna.

http://www.southendwalleyeslayer.com/suckercookbook.pdf

dale7637
05-18-2015, 09:51 AM
We have made smoked sucker a few times. I usually brine them in a sugar and salt brine, and then smoke them on the Bradley. Very tasty!

edmhunter
05-18-2015, 10:17 AM
We have made smoked sucker a few times. I usually brine them in a sugar and salt brine, and then smoke them on the Bradley. Very tasty!

Thanks for all the info and ideas guys!

Dale, do you smoke them whole or do you fillet them first and how long do you brine and smoke them for? I own a Bradley as well and like to use it any chance I get! :sHa_shakeshout:

edmhunter
05-18-2015, 10:19 AM
Have to agree with you about the fight they put up. I catch them all the time in the NSR and I have a lot of respect for those toothless buggers. They are also, on average, a little heavier then other sucker species.

The biggest one I caught was about 4 lbs. Put up more of a fight then the walleye I caught, even jumped once! :)