PDA

View Full Version : Rant

the local angler
05-17-2015, 11:09 PM
ok so i decided to go fish today and nearby is a set of train tracks that i cross to get to my spots sometimes. so i get to my spot and noticed the piles of the crossbeams that are under the tracks all piled up and the tracks gone. so obviously i am thinking the train tracks were decommissioned and are being removed. i get to my spot to only now find tons of signage saying private property no trespassing. my question now is when the tracks were still in use i thought it was on crown land and such but now i think since the tracks are decommissioned and being torn out then is it possible what ever contract the railroad had with various land owners expired and the signage is the result? so ****ed off i can't get to my spot on the river now. real legit signs or fake?

Wes_G
05-18-2015, 07:13 AM
Any property owned by the railroad is private property, you can be charge with trespassing even crossing them.

This is an article from the states but I am sure the same applies in Canada, not sure what the fines are though.

http://mustangnews.net/crossing-railroad-tracks-could-result-in-2000-fine/

Habfan
05-18-2015, 07:37 AM
A person I knew that worked for the railroad, told me that once they take out the tracks they sell the land the tracks were on for very cheap. I was going to buy a piece by Mcgregor lake and put a trailer on it but it would have been to hard to put anything on it because of private land on both sides. Everything I did would be by backing in or out ! They use to have a land for sale web site, but that was years ago.

icehunter
05-18-2015, 07:46 AM
I am thinking legit.Years ago a river I used to fish at was accessable by truck.You drove down a county road,hit the end,turn left and follow the dusty trail beside the track for a mile and you were there.Then all of a sudden one year a big steel gate was erected and chained shut with lots of no trespassing signs on them.The tracks are still in use to this day.

the local angler
05-18-2015, 08:02 AM
wow that's interesting and sucks at the same time cause it was one of my favorite fishing holes. i wish i knew about this and bought some land for myself.

Habfan
05-18-2015, 08:37 AM
The selling of the land was years ago and very hush, hush. I noticed a large section of track near Hanna or Oyen, already had signs on it to stay off ! With all the growth around these old tracks it makes for good hunting !!

J D
05-18-2015, 09:47 AM
Something that most fishermen don't realize is some access spots are privately owned but landowners just turned a blind eye to the public accessing waters.

Do to slobs and rude people going as far as threatening some landowners. Some of these areas have been lost and become posted do to the landowners frustration.

This is happening all over Canada

This may not be the case with the OP's spot but it is in some cases