PDA

View Full Version : Family fishing near Edmonton

rugerpooch
01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I live in Sherwood Park ( next to Edmonton ) and I am looking for a good lake to take my 2 kids ice fishing ( 8 an 10 yrs old ). Perch would be my first, but any fish would be good. I am familiar with lakes that are 1.5 hrs away, but would like to try to keep it closer to home, mabey under 1 hr. Any ideas would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you very much:cool:

Albertadiver
01-08-2009, 10:30 PM
My wife is from SP, so I try to stay away from the outlaws as much as possible! :evilgrin:

The person you should ask is BBJ, or if you search user's on this forum it's BigBadJohn.

He's from your area and as his profile says, 'he lives to fish' and I'm sure he'll have some good idea fer ya.

Safety D
01-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Go to Wabby for northerns

Fish Cannon
01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Nothing on this side of town really. Closest fishing is really west of town around Stony Plain (1hr.).

Bassett
01-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Lac st. Anne or pigeon mabey? Pigeon on the provincial park side great for walleye once we caught 200+ between 4 of us!!!

italk2u
01-09-2009, 08:24 PM
if you just want to catch miriads of fish..drive the half hour or less from the park to cooking lake..it's loaded with perch, but most are of the 3 to 6 inc variety.

handicap
01-17-2009, 12:28 AM
There are no fish in cooking lake buddy doesnt know what hes talking about..Or maybe wants to make a fool out of someone.

dogboy
01-17-2009, 10:16 AM
There are no fish in cooking lake buddy doesnt know what hes talking about..Or maybe wants to make a fool out of someone.

why did it winter kill agen??
you would think a big lake like that whuld hold fish
but I guess not.

mauserman
01-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Cooking Lake had fish at one time. The lake has dropped a good 10-15ft since the 1930's. There are pictures of boats moored to the railing at the North Cooking Lake store. Located on the Wye road. The lake is half a mile away now. We caught pike there at Lakeview hall in the late 50,s , I think it,s dead now.
My guess is you guys are thinking of Hastings lake located just east of Cooking lake. There were a lot of perch caught there in the late80,s early 90's
Access is go south from Wye road or north from Hi,way 14. A county map will help.
If you want trout. Go to Black Nugget coal pits east of Tofield,go south at sign on hwy 14 . Stocked since the 1960,s
Fish are never muddy, they seemed partial to valvetta cheese in that lake.

If you call Ministik Service (gas station) on Hwy 14,they might know if fish are still in Hastings

bunnyhunter
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
yes, Hastings lake has mostly winter killed every year since I moved here 9 years ago., cooking lake and North cooking are full of minnows only as these are very shallow...cant support perch even. has a lot of shallow vegetation and gases produced by these. Beaverhill is huge but CANNOT support fish...depth is key. too bad they cant put an aerator in Hastings.

Coal lake is your closest lake has a lot of perch and pike, it is about 30-40 min from south Edmonton.....near wetaskawin highway 13. the norht end may be easier from Shwd pk

pm me if you want some more info as I have been ice fishing with my son for years
Jenn