PDA

View Full Version : Don't use Panther Martins in the National parks.

Unregistered user
05-18-2015, 05:24 PM
I had a tackle box check this weekend and the Warden said Panther Martins contain lead, don't use them or else. Very nice fellow, just a warning no fine. Be advised.

the local angler
05-18-2015, 05:46 PM
wow really? news to me too

The Fisherman Guy
05-18-2015, 06:04 PM
The teardrop shaped body of a Panther Martin contains lead, a good reminder for those heading into our National Parks in search of fish - thanks for posting.

edmhunter
05-18-2015, 06:09 PM
Wow is all I gotta say. I was using one yesterday, but did not see any Wardens.

If that ever happens to me I will say "Lead! Don't you realize that Mercury is the problem? :thinking-006:

EZM
05-18-2015, 08:04 PM
I'm pretty sure some models of mepps use lead as well. Many are brass, but the giant killers are lead.

Northern Yaker
05-18-2015, 10:15 PM
It's not illegal to posses them in the parks just use them, right??

norcodh
05-18-2015, 10:26 PM
I believe the law goes something like no lead within 50m of waters edge of 50 grams or less

dodger
05-19-2015, 06:20 AM
I believe the law goes something like no lead within 50m of waters edge of 50 grams or less

Well it looks like I'm not going to the parks fishing. My tackle box has about 20/lbs of lead just in jig heads.:scared0018:

Dodger.

jwelds191
05-19-2015, 08:28 AM
Also got warned in the parks for this exact thing... Had no idea panther Martin's contained lead, but the parks officer saw we had done our due diligence so a friendly warning and a promise to pull it out of our box was all that was needed.

Very nice gentleman, made the check an enjoyable experience.... Reflects very well on the government of Canada.

Now if only the fishing were hotter in the parks...

McLeod
05-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Lets set the record straight ...Not all Panther Martins are ILLEGAL

Yes most are are under 50 grams.. 50 grams is 1.76 ounces..
The reg is as follows..
◦any lead tackle (sinkers, jigs, lures and flies) under 50 grams;
Lead split shots are the real problem but you can buy tin ones..

Curious as to where you were fishing and what size of hook you were using ?

Unregistered user
05-19-2015, 06:39 PM
We were at Minnewanka, wasn't using the PMs at the time or the 4" buzz-bombs that he also didn't like, he said 5" would get it past the 30g limit for the alloy. We were using bismuth jig heads and tube jigs from Wapiti sports in Canmore- good and legal in the park. All the warden wanted us to do was take the offending items back to the truck and have a nice day. But he wrote a note on the back of my licence that I had been checked and informed.

CanuckShooter
05-19-2015, 07:21 PM
I had a tackle box check this weekend and the Warden said Panther Martins contain lead, don't use them or else. Very nice fellow, just a warning no fine. Be advised.

Really? Is lead a real concern in fishing lures or just something else for the control freaks to whine about?? Who comes up with this stuff?:thinking-006:

greylynx
05-19-2015, 07:32 PM
This will be coming to NDP Alberta soon. Even though the ppm lead and mercury sources in our watersheds are natural you are supposedly doing something good as directed from eastern Canada.

The only thing in Alberta that is not natural are the national parks.

Alberta holds them in trust.

Anyone ever see how large the original the initial National Parks were at the turn of the last century?

They were darn near at Rocky Mtn. House.

Alberta in many ways is eastern Canada's little Alaska.

jwelds191
05-19-2015, 10:07 PM
Lets set the record straight ...Not all Panther Martins are ILLEGAL

Yes most are are under 50 grams.. 50 grams is 1.76 ounces..
The reg is as follows..
◦any lead tackle (sinkers, jigs, lures and flies) under 50 grams;
Lead split shots are the real problem but you can buy tin ones..

Curious as to where you were fishing and what size of hook you were using ?

Wasn't using PMs at all either, but they were in my tackle box as I like to keep some spinners in there for when tubes and spoons aren't doing the trick.

And I am aware that not all lead lures are prohibited if they exceed the weight limit, but I was not aware PMs were manufactured with lead. Next time, I certainly will know.

Fishfinder
05-20-2015, 12:02 AM
I did not know this either. Thanx for posting OP.
Glad there have been a lot of hits on this thread.
Edumacation is good.:)

chriscosta
05-20-2015, 12:21 AM
Really? Is lead a real concern in fishing lures or just something else for the control freaks to whine about?? Who comes up with this stuff?:thinking-006:

Ive heard loons like to eat lead split shots ...dont know if its true or if it why

Fishfinder
05-20-2015, 12:57 AM

Folks much wiser then you. Google is your friend.

Chief16
05-22-2015, 01:10 AM
Ive heard loons like to eat lead split shots ...dont know if its true or if it why

I believe it is because birds don't have teeth so the swallow rocks to help grind up food. Lead split shot would be a perfect little pebble that's easy to swallow I imagine.

Thanks OP, I honestly had no idea either about PMs containing lead, great info to know!